- Associate Professor Yunfei Xi
- Advance Queensland Fellow
Science and Engineering Faculty,
Earth, Environmental and Biological Sciences,
Geology & Geochemistry
- Discipline *
- Environmental Science and Management, Geochemistry, Nanotechnology
- +61 7 3138 1995
- View location details (QUT staff and student access only)
- Identifiers and profiles
PhD (Queensland University of Technology)
- Professional memberships
- Editorial Board Member of “Minerals” (MDPI, Switzerland)
- Editorial Board Member of “International journal of Minerals, Metallurgy and Materials” (Springer)
- Committee Member/Representative of QLD, Australian Clay Minerals Society, Australia (under International Association for the Study of Clays – AIPEA)
- External assessor for grant applications from funding bodies such as Australian Research Council; the German Federal Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF) and the Israeli Ministry of Science, Technology and Space (MOST); the United States – Israel Binational Agricultural Research and Development Fund; and the Czech Science Foundation
Clay minerals/minerals, Functional materials, Environmental remediation, Novel building materials, Utilisation of solid waste, Soil additives, Spectroscopy
- Doctor of Philosophy, Queensland University of Technology, Australia, 2007
- Master of Engineering, Nankai University (985 & 211), China, 2002
- Bachelor (Honours), Tianjin University (985 & 211), China, 1998
Associate Professor Yunfei Xi has been dedicating himself to the advancement of fundamental and applied scientific knowledge on minerals, particularly clay minerals’ structure and properties, development of their functionality and applications of mineral-based new materials. This research area is important and promising as we are able to provide practical and environmentally benign solutions to hot issues in environmental science and materials science (for example, R&D of mineral based adsorbent or catalytic materials to remediate contaminants from water or air). His expertise also includes spectroscopy techniques, such as IR and Raman etc. While these areas continue to be his interest, he has started to extend his research focus towards building products, energy and agriculture, while developing consumer products at an affordable cost.
He is an accredited HDR supervisor at QUT, and also works as a Committee Member/the Representative of Queensland at Australian Clay Minerals Society and Supervisor for China Scholarship Council (CSC) funded visiting PhD students/scholars. Since 2004, he has published and co-published more than 200 peer-reviewed journal articles and 2 patent families. Many of his journal publications have become highly cited articles by peers which is evidenced by over 6,150 citations (H-index at 39, i10-index at 93, Google Scholar) or via Scopus, 4,949 citations (H-index at 36).
Some of his achievements have been recognised by:
- Advance Queensland Fellow (Senior), Queensland Government, 2017
- International Renowned Scholar, Chinese Academy of Sciences, 2014
- Adjunct Professor at Guangzhou Institute of Geochemistry, Chinese Academy of Sciences, 2014
- Editorial Board Member of the journal “Minerals” (MDPI, Switzerland), since 2019
- Organising Committee Member for the 4th World Forum on Industrial Minerals (WFIM) to be held in Qingyang, China, 17-20th October 2020
- Guest Editor of Minerals (MDPI, Switzerland), Special Issue: Functional Design of Clay Minerals, 2019
- co-Convenor of ‘Mineral Materials Session’, XXII Meeting of the International Mineralogical Association, Melbourne, Australia, 13-17th August 2018
- Chair of ‘Clays and Environments’ session, Organising Committee Member for the 3rd Asian Clay Conference, Guangzhou, China, 17-20th November 2016
- Committee Member/Representative of QLD, Australian Clay Minerals Society, Australia (under International Association for the Study of Clays – AIPEA), since 2014
- Guest Editor of Applied Clay Science (Quartile 1, Elsevier), Special Issue: Small Size – Big Science: The 3rd Asian Clay Conference, 2017
- QUT Vice Chancellor’s Research Fellowship (Level C), 2013
- QUT Vice Chancellor’s ECARD/VCRF Travel Fellowship, 2013
- ESI highly cited paper Top 1% for the article published in Chemical Engineering Journal, 346, 546-577, 2018
- ESI highly cited paper Top 1% for the article published in Chemical Engineering Journal, 312, 336-350, 2017
- ESI highly cited paper Top 1% for the article published in Applied Clay Science, 123, 239-258, 2016
- Elsevier Top Cited Article Award for 2010-2011 for the article published in Journal of Colloid and Interface Science (2010) 341(1): pp.153-161
- Elsevier Most Cited Article Award for 2007-2008 for the article published in Journal of Colloid and Interface Science (2007) 305(1): pp.150-158
- Session chair, the International Workshop on Industrial Minerals, 2nd to 6th November 2011, Hangzhou, China
- External assessor for grant applications from four funding bodies: Australian Research Council; the German Federal Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF) and the Israeli Ministry of Science, Technology and Space (MOST); the United States – Israel Binational Agricultural Research and Development Fund; and the Czech Science Foundation; the United States – Israel Binational Agricultural Research and Development Fund; and the Czech Science Foundation
- Reviewer for more than 178 pre-publications from 43 peer-reviewed international journals https://publons.com/author/1213232/ (2018 Top Reviewers Award for Cross-Field by Publons). 9 Outstanding Reviewer Awards from Elsevier for Chemical Engineering Journal (05/2017, IF=8.355), Journal of Hazardous Materials (05/2017, IF=7.650), Applied Surface Science (12/2017, IF=5.155), Applied Clay Science (05/2017, IF=3.890), Ecotoxicology and Environmental Safety (03/2018, IF=4.527), Journal of Molecular Liquids (12/2017, IF=4.561), Journal of Industrial and Engineering Chemistry (11/2018, IF=4.978), Journal of the Taiwan Institute of Chemical Engineers (12/2016, IF=3.834) and Journal of CO2 Utilization (04/2018, IF=5.189)
- QUT Strategic Links Pilot Program, Development of new generation boards with high performance characteristics using natural minerals as additives and reinforcements, 2019-2020;
- Advanced Queensland Research Fellowships, Value-added building materials using Queensland’s natural mineral resources, 2017-2020;
- Australian Research Council (ARC) Discovery Project (DP15010717), Characterization of mechanical behaviour of TiO2 nanotube thin films, 2015-2018;
- Guangdong Department of Science and Technology – Queensland University of Technology, Preparation and application of porous mineral-based VOCs adsorption-catalytic materials, 2017-2019;
- Advanced Queensland Innovation Partnerships, Biomanufacturing advanced animal feed supplements, 2017-2020;
- QUT VC’s fellowship research grant, 2013-2016;
- Cooperative Research Centre (CRC) for Contamination Assessment and Remediation of the Environment (CARE) (CRC CARE) (6-11-01-09/10), Development and assessment of modified natural clay-materials for the management of hazardous chemicals, 2010;
- Cooperative Research Centre (CRC) for Contamination Assessment and Remediation of the Environment (CARE) (CRC CARE) (2-5-02-05/6), Natural and Modified Materials for Contamination Remediation, 2006-2009.
Undergraduate practical teaching at QUT:
- Environmental Analytical Chemistry: CVB313_15se2 (20 July 2015 – 14 November 2015).
- Analytical Chemistry: CVB202_15se1(23 February 2015 – 23 June 2015).
- Analytical Chemistry: CVB202_14se1 (24 February 2014 – 24 June 2014).
- Nanotechnology and Nanoscience: PQB404_13se2 (22 July 2013 – 16 November 2013).
- Analytical Chemistry for Scientists and Technologists: PQB312_13se2 (22 July 2013 – 16 November 2013).
- Analytical Chemistry for Scientists and Technologists: PQB312_13se1 (25 February 2013 – 25 June 2013).
- Chemical research – PQB642, Thesis: Synthesis and characterisation of organoclays specifically designed for the removal of pollutants from water, Ms. Emily Grundgeider, 14/08/2013 – 03/11/2013;
- Chemical research – PQB642, Thesis: Synthesis and characterisation of nano zero-valent iron supported palygorskite specifically designed for the removal of simazine from water, Ms. Yachna Soni, 14/08/2014 – 03/11/2014;
- Chemical research – PQB642, Thesis: Removal of atrazine from aqueous solution using diatomite-supported nano zero-valent iron, Ms. Choyi Tang, 14/08/2014 – 03/11/2014;
- Industry project – SCB500, Report: Synthesis and characterisation of nano zero-valent iron supported Palygorskite applied with an advanced Fenton process specifically designed for the decolourisation of Orange II from water, Ms. Yachna Soni, 17/03/2015 – 12/06/2015;
- Mr Nathan Makelainen, Mr Edward Nevin, Mr Jack Cossart and Mr Daniel Rogers ‘Capstone’– Chemical research – CVB304, 2015.
- Zhu Y, Zhu R, Yan L, Fu H, Xi Y, Zhao H, Zhu G, Zhu J, He H, (2018) Visible-light Ag/AgBr/ferrihydrite catalyst with enhanced heterogeneous photo-Fenton reactivity via electron transfer from Ag/AgBr to ferrihydrite, Applied Catalysis B: Environmental p280-289
- Ezzatahmadi N, Ayoko G, Millar GJ, Speight RE, Yan CA, Li J, Li S, Zhu J, Xi Y, (2017) Clay-supported nanoscale zero-valent iron composite materials for the remediation of contaminated aqueous solutions: A review, Chemical Engineering Journal p336-350
- Zhu Y, Zhu R, Xi Y, Xu T, Yan L, Zhu J, Zhu G, He H, (2018) Heterogeneous photo-Fenton degradation of bisphenol A over Ag/AgCl/ferrihydrite catalysts under visible light, Chemical Engineering Journal p567-577
- Wang G, Xi Y, Lian C, Sun Z, Zheng S, (2019) Simultaneous detoxification of polar aflatoxin B1 and weak polar zearalenone from simulated gastrointestinal tract by zwitterionic montmorillonites, Journal of Hazardous Materials p227-237
- Zhu J, Wen K, Wang Y, Ma L, Su X, Zhu R, Xi Y, He H, (2018) Superior thermal stability of Keggin-Al30 pillared montmorillonite: A comparative study with Keggin-Al13 pillared montmorillonite, Microporous and Mesoporous Materials p104-111
- Zhu R, Chen Q, Zhou Q, Xi Y, Zhu J, He H, (2016) Adsorbents based on montmorillonite for contaminant removal from water: A review, Applied Clay Science p239-258
- Ma L, Chen Q, Zhu J, Xi Y, He H, Zhu R, Tao Q, Ayoko G, (2016) Adsorption of phenol and Cu(II) onto cationic and zwitterionic surfactant modified montmorillonite in single and binary systems, Chemical Engineering Journal p880-888
- Ma L, Rathnayake R, He H, Zhu R, Zhu J, Ayoko G, Li J, Xi Y, (2016) In situ sequentially generation of acid and ferrous ions for environmental remediation, Chemical Engineering Journal p223-232
- Zhu Y, Zhu R, Zhu G, Wang M, Chen Y, Zhu J, Xi Y, He H, (2018) Plasmonic Ag coated Zn/Ti-LDH with excellent photocatalytic activity, Applied Surface Science p458-467
- Chen H, Yang H, Xi Y, (2019) Highly ordered and hexagonal mesoporous silica materials with large specific surface from natural rectorite mineral, Microporous and Mesoporous Materials p53-60
For more publications by this staff member, visit QUT ePrints, the University's research repository.
Grants and projects (Category 1: Australian Competitive Grants only)
- Characterization of Mechanical Behaviour of TiO2 Nanotube Thin Films
- Primary fund type
- CAT 1 - Australian Competitive Grant
- Project ID
- Start year
- nanotube thin film; mechanical characterization; nanoindentation
- Synthesis of a Nano-Structured Titania Surface and it's Application in Photocatalytic Oxidation for Water Treatment
- Primary fund type
- CAT 1 - Australian Competitive Grant
- Project ID
- Start year
- Water Purification; Nanostructured Materials; Organic Degradation; Heterogeneous Photocatalysis; Inorganic Template; Titania Photocatalyst