- Associate Professor Bill Dixon
- Associate Professor
Faculty of Business & Law,
School of Law
- Discipline *
- +61 7 3138 2449
- View location details (QUT staff and student access only)
Doctor of Juridical Science (Queensland University of Technology), Doctor of Jusidical Science (Queensland University of Technology)
Secured lending and mortgages, Contract law, Property law, Receivership, Commercial & retail leasing, Land titles law and practice, CPLRC
Prior to joining the Faculty of Law, Bill was a senior associate at Corrs Chamber Westgarth. For over 16 years, Bill practised in the areas of property, small business and commercial transactions, securities and general banking and finance work.
In 2005 Bill completed his doctorate on the topic “An Examination of the Common Law Obligation of Good Faith in the Performance and Enforcement of Commercial Contracts in Australia”.
Bill has co-authored 14 books and authored 7 book chapters, 2 part-book chapters, 25 C1 journal articles (three co-authored), 80 scholarly articles (C2 and C3) as well as contributing to 93 loose-leaf updates and being the co-author of 18 reports for the Queensland government. Bill’s research has had national impact as evidenced by citations of his work by the High Court, the Queensland Court of Appeal and the Supreme Courts of New South Wales, Victoria, South Australia and Queensland as well as numerous monograph, journal, Working Paper and legal encyclopaedia citations.
Bill has been the recipient of 4 awards for research and scholarship together with 5 teaching awards.
Bill is the ‘Conveyancing and Property Law’ Section Editor for the Queensland Lawyer, was previously a member of the Australian Property Law Committee of the Law Council of Australia (as the Queensland state representative nominated by the President of the Queensland Law Society) and the the Queensland Law Society’s Property Law Specialist Accreditation Advisory Committee. Research Interests
- Property Law
- Contract Law
- Secured Lending Transactions and Enforcement Issues arising from these Transactions
Units Currently Taught
- LLB204 Commercial and Personal Property Law
- LLB340 Banking and Finance Law
- Duncan B, Dixon B, (2013) The law of real property mortgages, 2nd edition
- Willmott L, Christensen S, Butler D, Dixon B, (2013) Contract Law (4th edition)
- Butler D, Christensen S, Dixon B, Willmott L, (2013) Contract Law Case Book [2nd ed.]
- Christensen S, Dixon B, Duncan B, Jones S, (2011) Land Contracts in Queensland, 3rd edition
- Dixon B, (2012) Common law obligations of good faith in the performance and enforcement of joint ventures of a non-fiduciary nature, Joint Ventures Law in Australia, 3rd edition p93-139
- Dixon B, (2012) The Neighbourhood Disputes Resolution Act 2011 (Qld) and disclosure issues, Queensland Lawyer p80-87
- Dixon B, (2011) Good faith in contractual performance and enforcement : Australian doctrinal hurdles, Australian Business Law Review p227-244
- Dixon B, (2011) Pool safety in Queensland, Queensland Lawyer p266-274
- Dixon B, (2010) Getting more than the judgment debtor can give?, Queensland Lawyer p184-189
- Dixon B, Backstrom M, (2009) A changing landscape: the mortgagee's power of sale in Queensland, Journal of the Australasian Law Teachers Association p257-268
For more publications by this staff member, visit QUT ePrints, the University's research repository.