- Dr Vivien Challis
- Lecturer in Applied and Computational Mathematics
Science and Engineering Faculty,
School of Mathematical Sciences
- Discipline *
- Numerical and Computational Mathematics, Applied Mathematics
- +61 7 3138 6735
- View location details (QUT staff and student access only)
PhD in Mathematics (University of Queensland)
- Professional memberships
- Australian Mathematical Society
structural optimisation, microstructure design, material modelling, finite element methods, homogenisation, GPU computing, failure modelling
Dr Vivien Challis completed her PhD in Mathematics at The University of Queensland in 2009. Her research interests lie in structural optimisation, computational mechanics and high performance computing.
After completing her PhD, Dr Challis was employed at The University of Queensland in a number of roles including as a postdoctoral research fellow, lecturer, and finally as an Australian Postdoctoral Fellow (APD). Dr Challis joined Queensland University of Technology in May 2019 as a Lecturer in Applied and Computational Mathematics.
Dr Challis has supervised a number of undergraduate students (honours, summer students) and was associate PhD supervisor of Andrew Cramer (conferred 2018, The University of Queensland). Prospective honours, masters, PhD or vacation research students who are interested in structural optimisation, material modelling, high performance or GPU computing are encouraged to contact Dr. Challis.
- Challis V, Cramer A, Roberts A, (2019) An optimised family of anisotropic microstructures with application to functionally graded materials, International Journal of Solids and Structures p17-29
- Cramer A, Challis V, Roberts A, (2017) Physically Realizable Three-Dimensional Bone Prosthesis Design With Interpolated Microstructures, Journal of Biomechanical Engineering p1-8
- Cramer A, Challis V, Roberts A, (2016) Microstructure interpolation for macroscopic design, Structural and Multidisciplinary Optimization p489-500
- Sercombe T, Xu X, Challis V, Green R, Yue S, Zhang Z, Lee P, (2015) Failure modes in high strength and stiffness to weight scaffolds produced by Selective Laser Melting, Materials and Design p501-508
- Challis V, Roberts A, Grotowski J, (2014) High resolution topology optimization using graphics processing units (GPUs), Structural and Multidisciplinary Optimization p315-325
- Challis V, Xu X, Zhang L, Roberts A, Grotowski J, Sercombe T, (2014) High specific strength and stiffness structures produced using selective laser melting, Materials and Design p783-788
- Challis V, Guest J, Grotowski J, Roberts A, (2012) Computationally generated cross-property bounds for stiffness and fluid permeability using topology optimization, International Journal of Solids and Structures p3397-3408
- Challis V, (2010) A discrete level-set topology optimization code written in Matlab, Structural and Multidisciplinary Optimization p453-464
- Challis V, Roberts A, Grotowski J, Zhang L, Sercombe T, (2010) Prototypes for Bone Implant Scaffolds Designed via Topology Optimization and Manufactured by Solid Freeform Fabrication, Advanced Engineering Materials p1106-1110
- Challis V, Guest J, (2009) Level set topology optimization of fluids in Stokes flow, International Journal for Numerical Methods in Engineering p1284-1308
For more publications by this staff member, visit QUT ePrints, the University's research repository.