- Dr Vaughan Coffey
- Senior Lecturer
Science and Engineering Faculty,
School of Built Environment
- Discipline *
- +61 7 3138 1002
- View location details (QUT staff and student access only)
- Identifiers and profiles
Doctor of Business Administration (Curtin University of Technology)
- Professional memberships
- Member, Project Management Institute (MPMI)
Organisational culture, Performance measurement, Project management, Quality management, Post-disaster Reconstruction and Project Management
Broad area of research: Infrastructure
Main areas of research
Dr Vaughan Coffey’s main areas of research are
- Organisational culture and its impact on organisational effectiveness and business outcomes
- Quality management systems and key performance indicators in the construction industry
- Management of Heritage Building Projects
- Post-disaster and Recovery Project Management
Dr Vaughan Coffey lectures in Construction and Project Management at the School of Urban Development, Queensland University of Technology, Brisbane, Australia and prior to taking up the post in September 2006 was the Senior Manager/Procurement in the Development and Procurement Division of the Hong Kong Housing Department, where he worked since 1982.
Originally coming to the Department as an Architect, he later became the Department’s Technical Secretary and headed up the Performance Assessment Scoring System (PASS) Control Unit, as well as looking after the administration of the Department’s building, maintenance and soft landscape contractors. Dr Coffey assisted the department with setting up its ISO certified quality management system and was an internal quality auditor during his years in the department.
In 1998, he was awarded a Master of Science degree in Quality Management from the University of Paisley, United Kingdom. He has regularly lectured across the world on construction and project management topics and has been involved in MSc courses for aspiring construction/project managers on behalf of Hong Kong University and Bath University, UK.
Dr Coffey completed his Doctorate of Business Administration in 2005 with the Graduate School of Business, Curtin University, Australia and completed a doctoral thesis entitled “The Organisational Culture and Effectiveness of Companies involved in Public Sector Housing Construction in Hong Kong”. He was Vice-president of the Hong Kong Institute of Value Management (HKIVM) and a Co-Director of the HKIVM International Value Conference held in June 2005, and Director of the 2006 HKIVM Asia-Pacific Value Conference jointly hosted with IVM Australia.
Jan 2018 – Present: Academic Program Director (Urban and Project Management) and Senior Lecturer
Sep 2006 – Jan 2018: Lecturer in Construction Management and Project Management, School of Urban Development, Queensland University of Technology
Dec 1982 – Sep 2006: Senior Procurement Manager/Senior Architect/Technical Secretary – Hong Kong Housing Department, Hong Kong
Sep 1979 – Dec 1982: Development and Improvement Manager, Merseyside Improved Houses, Liverpool, UK
1978 – 1979: Senior Architect, Skelmersdale Development Corporation, Lancashire, UK
1976 – 1978: Principle Architect, Tom Adams Design Associates, York, UK.
- Construction management
- Project management
- Quality and environmental management systems and philosophies
- Strategic total quality management
- Value management
- Design management
- Human resources and organisational culture
- Project procurement delivery and strategies.
- Hong Kong Construction Association Limited
- Hong Kong Housing Department.
Interests and community service
- Reviewer for Journal of Professional Issues in Education Engineering and Practice
- Member of Scientific or Review Committees of major international value management and construction management conferences
- 2005/2007: Vice-president of Hong Kong Institute of Value Management
- 1995: Member of Hong Kong Institute of Architects Board of Internal Affairs
- 1997: Member of Hong Kong Institute of Architects Professional Practice Committee
- 1999: Speaker at International ISO 9000/TQM Conference in Hong Kong
- 2000: Speaker at Singapore HDB International Housing Conference
- 2001: Accreditation/Training Coordinator of Hong Kong Institute of Value Management
- 2002: Co-organizer of Inaugural Doctoral Work-in-progress Conference at Lingnan University, Hong Kong
- Feb 2004: Facilitator of Hong Kong Housing Department Value Management Workshop “Re-engineering PASS”
- Oct 2004: Facilitator of Hong Kong Housing Department Value Management Workshop “Quality Standard Verification”
- 2005: Hong Kong Institute of Value Management 7th International Conference Co-Director
- 2006: Member of Hong Kong Construction Industry Institute Research Committee
- 2006: Hong Kong Institute of Value Management International (Asia Pacific) Conference Director
- Jumat A, Coffey V, Skitmore M, (2012) Stakeholder service delivery expectations of military facilities management, Built Environment Project and Asset Management p146-166
- Mohamad S, Coffey V, Preece C, (2011) Value management: An extension of quantity surveying services in Malaysia, Proceedings of the 1st International Construction Business & Management Symposium 2011 p1-7
- Dharmayanti G, Coffey V, Trigunarsyah B, (2011) The impact of organisational culture on the project selection process : The case of public infrastructure project in Indonesia, Re-Humanizing the Built Environment: Proceedings of the 5th International Conference and Workshop on Built Environment in Developing Countries, Volume 1 p688-699
- Heravi Torbati A, Coffey V, Trigunarsyah B, (2011) Assessment of requirements for establishment of a framework to enhance implementation of quality practices in building projects, International Journal of Innovation, Management and Technology p465-470
- Sadiqi Z, Coffey V, Trigunarsyah B, (2012) Rebuilding housing after a disaster: Factors for failure, Proceedings of the Disaster Management 2012: The 8th Annual Conference of International Institute for Infrastructure, Renewal and Reconstruction (IIIRR) p292-300
- Trigunarsyah B, Coffey V, Willar D, (2011) An empirical study of applying ISO 9001 elements in large size Indonesian contractors, Proceedings of the 6th International Conference on Construction in the 21st Century (CITC-VI) p496-503
- Chan M, Coffey V, Trigunarsyah B, (2011) Relational contracting and its efficacy of project outcomes in the Australian construction industry, Modern Methods and Advances in Structural Engineering and Construction - Proceedings of the Sixth International Structural Engineering and Construction Conference (ISEC-6) p53-58
- Sadiqi Z, Coffey V, Trigunarsyah B, (2011) Post-disaster housing reconstruction: challenges for community participation, Proceedings of the International Conference on Building Resilience: Interdisciplinary approaches to disaster risk reduction, and the development of sustainable communities and cities p1-10
- Coffey V, (2010) Understanding organisational culture in the construction industry
- Zuo J, Zillante G, Coffey V, (2009) Project culture in the Chinese construction industry: perceptions of contractors, Construction Economics and Building p17-28
For more publications by this staff member, visit QUT ePrints, the University's research repository.