- Dr Jaehu Shim
- Postdoctoral Research Fellow
QUT Business School,
Australian Centre for Entrepreneurship Research
- Discipline *
- Business and Management
- +61 7 3138 2591
- View location details (QUT staff and student access only)
- Identifiers and profiles
PhD in Entrepreneurship (Chung-ang University), MA in Engineering (Yonsei University)
Entrepreneurship, Agent-Based Modeling, Simulation
JaehuShim has interests in the process-oriented entrepreneurship research and has a particular interest in the agent-based modeling and simulation (ABMS) as a tool for studying the entrepreneurial process.
Peer-reviewed academic papers
- Shim, J. & Davidsson, P. (2018). Shorter than we thought: The duration of venture creation processes. Journal of Business Venturing Insights, 9, 10-16.
- Shim, J. & Kim, J. (2018). Estimating country-level social network density and supportive surroundings by simulation. Journal of Business Venturing Insights, 9, 24-31.
- Shim, J. & Bliemel, M. (2017). Ignition of New Product Diffusion in Entrepreneurship: An Agent-Based Approach. Entrepreneurial Research Journal, 8(2). https://doi.org/10.1515/erj-2016-0014
- Shim, J., Bliemel, M., & Choi, M. (2017). Modeling Complex Entrepreneurial Processes: A Bibliometric Method for Designing Agent-Based Simulation Models. International Journal of Entrepreneurial Behaviour and Research, 23(6), 1052-1070
- Shim, J. (2016). Toward a More Nuanced Understanding of Long-Tail Distributions and Their Generative Process in Entrepreneurship. Journal of Business Venturing Insights, 6, 21-27.
Major conference presentations
- Shim, J. & Kim, J. (6–9 Jun 2018). How and When Social Networks to be Beneficial? A Simulation Approach to the Mechanisms and Contexts of Social Networks in the Venture Development Process. 2018 Babson College Entrepreneurship Research Conference (BCERC), Waterford, Ireland.
- Kim, J. & Shim, J. (6–9 Jun 2018). Industrial Diversity in Entrepreneurship. 2018 Babson College Entrepreneurship Research Conference (BCERC), Waterford, Ireland.
- Kim, S. & Shim, J. (4–8 Aug 2017). Agent-Based Simulation Modeling in Strategic HRM Research: The Case of Pay Dispersion and the Sorting Effect. 77th Annual Meeting of the Academy of Management, Atlanta, USA.
- Shim, J. (7–10 Jun 2017). The Roles of Luck, Skill, and Environment in the Generative Process of Billionaire Entrepreneurs: An Agent-Based Simulation Approach. 37th Babson College Entrepreneurship Research Conference (BCERC), Norman, USA. Forthcoming in Frontiers of Entrepreneurship Research.
- Kim, J. & Shim, J. (7–10 Jun 2017). Social Circle Tells Much: The Dual Mechanisms of Country-Level Social Circle in Determining Individual Entrepreneurial Activity. 37th Babson College Entrepreneurship Research Conference (BCERC), Norman, USA.
- Shim, J. (8–11 Jun 2016). How to Employ Agent-Based Modelling and Simulation as a Viable Method in Process-Oriented Entrepreneurship Research: Insights from High-Impact Agent-Based Studies in Business and Management. 36th Babson College Entrepreneurship Research Conference (BCERC), Bodø, Norway.
- Shim, J. & Davidsson, P. (10–13 Jun 2015). Cross-Country Differences in Entrepreneurial Activity: Adding Insight through Simulations. 35th Babson College Entrepreneurship Research Conference (BCERC), Boston, USA.
- Shim, J. Bliemel, M, & Choi, M. (1–5 Aug 2014). From Words to Models: A Bibliometric Approach to Designing Agent-Based Models in Entrepreneurship. 74th Annual Meeting of the Academy of Management, Philadelphia, USA.
- Shim, J. & Bliemel, M. (11-12 July 2013). How Can We Predict the Performance of Small Firms’ Online Advertising? An Agent-based Modelling & Simulation Approach. 26th Annual SEAANZ Conference, Eveleigh, Australia.
- Shim, J., Shin, Y., Jeon, M., & Choi, M. (10–13 Jun 2012). A New Method of Agent-based Modelling and Simulation in Entrepreneurship: An Example of Opportunity-Driven Entrepreneurial Process. Proceedings of the ICSB 2012 57th World Conference, Wellington, New Zealand.
- Shim, J. & Jeon, M. (26 Nov 2011). An Agent-based Modelling and Simulation for Entrepreneurship Research: How Does Entrepreneurship Create Jobs? Proceedings of the COREN Conference-2011, Korea Complexity Research and Education Network Conference 2011, Seoul, Korea.
Founder & Research Director, February 2000 – February 2016, IUMNET Corp. (http://www.ium.net)
Adjunct Professor, September 2012-February 2013, Seoul National University of Science & Technology (http://www.seoultech.ac.kr) & March 2006 – February 2011, Korea Tourism College (http://www.ktc.ac.kr)
Director of Business Incubator, March 2005 – August 2011, Rehoboth Business Incubator (http://www.ibusiness.co.kr)
Board Member, January 2005 – December 2009, Korea Small Business Association (http://www.sohokorea.or.kr)
Instructor at IT Education Centre, July 1996 – June 2000, Samsung Multi-Campus (http://www.multicampus.co.kr)
Software Engineer & Educational Manager, April 1992 – June 1996, Hyosung Data System (http://www.hyosung.co.kr)
- Shim J, Davidsson P, (2018) Shorter than we thought: The duration of venture creation processes, Journal of Business Venturing Insights p10-16
- Shim J, Kim J, (2018) Estimating country-level social network density and supportive surroundings by simulation, Journal of Business Venturing Insights p24-31
- Shim J, Bliemel M, (2018) Ignition of new product diffusion in entrepreneurship: An agent-based approach, Entrepreneurship Research Journal p1-17
- Shim J, Bliemel M, Choi M, (2017) Modeling complex entrepreneurial processes: A bibliometric method for designing agent-based simulation models, International Journal of Entrepreneurial Behaviour and Research p1052-1070
- Shim J, (2016) Toward a more nuanced understanding of long-tail distributions and their generative process in entrepreneurship, Journal of Business Venturing Insights p21-27
For more publications by this staff member, visit QUT ePrints, the University's research repository.