- Associate Professor Steven Pike
- Associate Professor
QUT Business School,
Advertising, Marketing and Public Relations
- Discipline *
- +61 7 3138 2702
- +61 7 3138 1811
- View location details (QUT staff and student access only)
- Identifiers and profiles
PhD Doctor of Philosophy (University of Waikato)
- Professional memberships
- Fellow of the Higher Education Authority (UK)
- Member of the Australian Marketing Institute
- Outgoing Chair of the School of AMPR Teaching and Learning Committee
- Board member – Tourism Management (ABDC A*)
- Board member – Journal of Destination Marketing (ABDC A)
- Board Member – Acta Turistica (Croatia)
Destination marketing, Tourism marketing, Brand performance measurment, Marketing research, Repertory Test, Personal Construct Theory, Market positioning
Prior to completing a PhD in marketing in 2003, Steven spent 20 years working in the tourism industry, primarily with Destination Marketing Organisations. His research focuses on the relevant challenges faced by tourism marketers, and he has shared his findings via six books and over 100 academic publications.
Steven has made a significant contribution to the university being ranked 65th in the world for tourism research. In the 2019 Excellence in Research Australia (ERA) assessment QUT was rated at ‘world class’ for tourism.
- Pike, S. (2021). Destination Marketing Essentials. (3rd Ed). Abingdon, Oxon: Routledge. The world’s first textbook on the topic.
- Pike, S. (2018). Tourism Marketing for Small Businesses. Oxford: Goodfellow.The world’s first textbook on the topic
- Pike, S., & Page, S. (2014). Destination Marketing Organizations and destination marketing: A narrative analysis of the literature. Tourism Management. 41:202-227. A*/Q1. Emerald International Citation of Excellence award.
- Pike, S., & Ryan, C. (2004). Destination positioning analysis through a comparison of cognitive, affective and conative perceptions. Journal of Travel Research. 42(4): 333-342. A/*Q1. This paper is included in the Journal of Travel Research’s 2020 special collection of the top 22 papers in the 50 years of the journal. https://journals.sagepub.com/topic/collections-jtr/jtr-2-tribute_ttra50th_anniversary/jtr?pbEditor=true
Steven has received two QUT Vice Chancellor’s Performance Excellence Awards, two CQUniversity Research Excellence Awards, and four ‘best research paper’ awards at international conferences. Recent international awards :
– 2018 Best research paper award, 10th World Conference for Graduate Research in Tourism, Hospitality & Leisure, Turkey
– 2017 ‘Emerald Citation of Excellence Award’
– 2017 Journal of Hospitality & Tourism Management Highly Commended Paper Award.
- Tourism marketing
- Marketing research
- PhD, Masters and Honours research student supervision
For publications by this staff member, visit QUT ePrints, the University's research repository.