- Dr Steph Jowett
Faculty of Law,
- Discipline *
- Law, Other Law and Legal Studies
- +61 7 3138 3357
- View location details (QUT staff and student access only)
- Identifiers and profiles
PhD (Queensland University of Technology), Bachelor of Laws - Second Class Honours - Division A (Queensland University of Technology)
- Professional memberships
Steph Jowett is a member of:
ACHLR, children's consent, health and medical law, medical ethics, trans and gender diverse youth, legal barriers to accessing healthcare, coronial determinations of suicide
Steph Jowett commenced with the School of Law in 2020. Steph is engaged in research that spans a range of socio-legal issues, predominately focusing on the intersection of human health and law. Her doctoral research examines legal barriers to consent for medical treatment of trans and gender diverse youth.
Steph’s research interests include:
- consent for medical treatment of young people
- access to healthcare for trans and gender diverse youth
- consent for involvement of children in health research
- coronial determinations of suicide
- genomic data-sharing
- health law.
Steph graduated from QUT in 2008 with a Bachelor of Laws and was awarded her doctorate from the School of Law at QUT in 2020.
Units currently taught
- Jowett S, Mathews B, (2020) Current legal and clinical framework for treatment of trans and gender diverse youth in Australia, Journal of Paediatrics and Child Health
- Then S, Jowett S, (2020) Removal and use of paediatric tissue for research purposes: Legal and ethical issues in Australia, Journal of Paediatrics and Child Health p359-363
- Jowett S, Carpenter B, Tait G, (2019) Determining a suicide under Australian law: A comparative study of coronial practice, The University of New South Wales law journal p534-556
- Jowett S, Carpenter B, Tait G, (2018) Determining a suicide under Australian law, University of New South Wales Law Journal p355-379
- Jowett S, Dallaston E, Bennett B, (2020) Genomic Research and Data-Sharing: Time to Revisit Australian Laws?, The University of Queensland Law Journal p341-369
- Tait G, Jowett S, Carpenter B, (2020) Coronial decision-making and the management, classification and conceptualisation of the finding of 'suicide', Mortality p297-312
- Carpenter B, Tait G, Jowett S, (2020) The inevitability of suicide for Aboriginal Australians, The Broader View of Suicide p312-328
- Tait G, Carpenter B, Jowett S, (2018) Coronial practice, indigeneity and suicide, International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health p1-14
- White B, Willmott L, Tilse C, Wilson J, Lawson D, Pearce A, Dunn J, Aitken J, Feeney R, Jowett S, (2018) Community knowledge of law at the end of life: availability and accessibility of web-based resources, Australian Health Review p266-271
For more publications by this staff member, visit QUT ePrints, the University's research repository.