- Adjunct Professor Susan Ash
- Adjunct Professor
Faculty of Health,
School - Exercise and Nutrition Sciences
- Discipline *
- Nutrition and Dietetics
- +61 7 3138 3524
- View location details (QUT staff and student access only)
Doctor of Philosophy in Science (University of Sydney)
- Professional memberships
- Fellow, Dietitians Association Australia
- Member – Dietitians Association Australia (DAA);
- Chair – DAA Dietetic Standards and Accreditation Advisory Committee (2003-2008)
- Chair – Council of Overseas Dietetic Standards Recognition (2003-2008)
- Reviewer – Nutrition and Dietetics, Journal Human Nutrition and Dietetics, Journal Academy Nutrition and Dietetics
Accredited Practising Dietitian (APD)
professional standards, health curricula and pedagogy, nutrition and dietetics, nutrition assessment, chronic disease management
Experience in Curriculum Development and Assessment Since 2012, I have provided expert advice to the Dietitians Association Australia and the Australian Orthotic and Prosthetic Association, on accreditation and Competency Standards and have been member and an external evaluator for an Office of Learning and Teaching grant on competency assessment in dietetics. I was discipline leader in Nutrition and Dietetics for the 4 undergraduate programs at QUT, 2005-2012.
International Experience in Curriculum Development and Accreditation Since 2009, I have provided expert advice to the National Institute of Nutrition and Hanoi Medical University, Viet Nam on the development of curriculum for a Bachelor of Nutrition and Dietetics which commenced in 2013 at Hanoi Medical University. I have provided training for potential staff and been invited to present to medical staff on dietetic management of chronic disease.
Research interests and Higher Degree Research Students
- Professional competence and assessment, curriculum development and collaborative models of implementing evidence based practice.
- Intersectoral models of care in the management of lifestyle diseases including mental health and overweight.
- Impact of intensive diet therapy in the outcome of people with Parkinson’s disease, chronic kidney disease, diabetes and obesity.
- Buttenshaw K, Shakespeare-Finch J, Ash S, (2017) A methodological review of confidence measurement scales for dietitians working with individuals, Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics p1396-1412
- Buttenshaw K, Ash S, Shakespeare-Finch J, (2017) Development and validation of the Dietetic Confidence Scale for working with clients experiencing psychological issues, Nutrition and Dietetics p36-45
- Palermo C, Capra S, Beck E, Ash S, Jolly B, Truby H, (2016) Are dietetics educators' attitudes to assessment a barrier to expanding placement opportunities? Results of a Delphi study, Nutrition and Dietetics p254-259
- Palermo C, Conway J, Beck E, Dart J, Capra S, Ash S, (2016) Methodology for developing competency standards for dietitians in Australia, Nursing and Health Sciences p130-137
- Sheard J, Ash S, (2015) Parkinson's disease, nutrition and surgery in context of critical care, Diet and nutrition in critical care, Volume 1 p713-726
- Ash S, O'Connor J, Anderson S, Ridgewell E, Clarke L, (2015) A mixed-methods research approach to the review of competency standards for orthotist/prosthetists in Australia, International Journal of Evidence-Based Healthcare p93-103
- Sheard J, Ash S, (2015) Current practice in nutrition diagnosis and intervention for the management of Parkinson's disease in Australia and Canada, Nutrition and Dietetics p30-35
- Rollo M, Ash S, Lyons-Wall P, Russell A, (2015) Evaluation of a mobile phone image-based dietary assessment method in adults with type 2 diabetes, Nutrients p4897-4910
- Palermo C, Chung A, Beck E, Ash S, Capra S, Truby H, Jolly B, (2015) Evaluation of assessment in the context of work-based learning: Qualitative perspectives of new graduates, Nutrition and Dietetics p143-149
- Ash S, Campbell K, Bogard J, Millichamp A, (2014) Nutrition prescription to achieve positive outcomes in chronic kidney disease: A systematic review, Nutrients p416-451
For more publications by this staff member, visit QUT ePrints, the University's research repository.
Completed supervisions (Doctorate)
- Identifying and Measuring Confidence in Dietitians Working with Clients with Psychological Issues (2017)
- Malnutrition in Parkinson's disease and an individualised approach to its management (2013)
- An innovative approach to the assessment of nutrient intake in adults with type 2 diabetes: The development, trial and evaluation of a mobile phone photo/voice dietary record (2012)
- Malnutrition and Clinical Outcomes in Elderly Patients from Singapore Acute Hospital (2011)
- New insights into appetite, inflammation and the use of fish oil in hemodialysis patients (2009)
- Economic Analysis of Malnutrition and Pressure Ulcers in Queensland Hospitals and Residential Aged Care Facilities (2008)
- Nutritional Management In pre-dialysis Chronic Kidney Disease: an investigation of methods for nutritional assessment and intervention in pre-dialysis chronic kidney disease (2007)
- Screening and Identification of Dehydration in Older People Admitted to a Geriatric and Rehabilitation Unit (2007)