- Professor Remco Polman
- Head of School
Faculty of Health,
School - Exercise and Nutrition Sciences
- IHBI Membership
Institute of Health Biomedical Innovation (IHBI),
IHBI Health Projects,
IHBI Exercise and Nutrition - HDHS
- Discipline *
- Human Movement and Sports Science, Psychology
- +61 7 3138 6139
- +61 7 3138 3980
- View location details (QUT staff and student access only)
- Identifiers and profiles
PhD in Psychology (University of York)
- Professional memberships
– Adjunct Professor Victoria University, Institute of Sport Exercise and Active Living, Melbourne, Australia
– Adjunct Professor, James Cook University, School of Public Health Tropical Medicine & Rehabilitation Science, Townsville, Australia.
– Visiting Professor, Psychology Department, Bournemouth University, Dorset, UK.
Accreditation by professional organisations
– Chartered Psychologist (No 132219) by the British Psychological Society.
– Health & Care Professional Council UK accredited practicing sport & exercise psychologist
Stress Coping and Emotions, Sport, Exercise and Physical Activity, FMS in children and the elderly, Ageing, Exercise and cognitive functioning
Remco’s initial training was in the Faculty of Human Movement Sciences at the ‘Vrije Universiteit’, Amsterdam, The Netherlands. There Remco obtained in August 1992 his ‘Doctorandus’ qualification. Following this Remco completed his PhD degree under supervision of Professor John Whiting in the Psychology Department at the University of York, England. Prior to joining QUT, Remco Polman was Head of the Psychology Department at Bournemouth University, research Professor and Program leader at ISEAL, Victoria University, Melbourne and Professor of Sport and Exercise Sciences and Director of the Centre of Applied Sport and Exercise Science at the University of Central Lancashire, Preston UK. Remco has also held previous appointments at the University of Hull, Leeds Metropolitan University, University of South Australia and University of North London (now London Metropolitan University). Remco is a Chartered psychologist by the British Psychological Society (BPS) and an accredited sport and exercise psychologist by the Health Care and Professions Council in the UK. Remco fulfilled a number of roles with the Division of Sport and Exercise Psychology (DSEP) of the BPS, including chair, chair elect and honorary secretary. Remco’s research interests are diverse and include stress, coping and emotions in sport and exercise, the psychology of (sport) injury rehabilitation; personality and sport and exercise (Mental toughness, Type D personality), exercise psychology (special populations) and healthy ageing (interaction between psychological and biomechanical factors).
For publications by this staff member, visit QUT ePrints, the University's research repository.