- Dr Rafael Gomez
- Senior Lecturer (Industrial Design)
Creative Industries Faculty,
School of Design Office,
- Discipline *
- Design Practice and Management
- +61 7 3138 4577
- View location details (QUT staff and student access only)
- Identifiers and profiles
PhD (Queensland University of Technology), Master of Applied Science (Queensland University of Technology)
- Professional memberships
Dr Gomez currently is Subject Area Coordinator for Industrial Design and sits as a Council Member of the Design Institute of Australia Queensland Chapter, Founder and Chair of the Design and Emotion Society Australia Chapter and Committee Member for the 2015 IASDR International Design Conference.
Design and Emotion, Experience Design, Human Factors, Human Product Interaction, Interface Design, Quailitative methodology
Currently seeking PhD applications across experience design, design and emotion, wearable tech for design and health, and design with technology for empathy.
Dr Gomez is Study Area Coordinator for Industrial Design. He is a design researcher for QUT Design Lab and a prominent researcher in the field of emotional experience, wearable tech for medical/health applications and 3D printing. He works closely with global industry partners and leads the BMW Group + QUT Design Academy which focuses on fostering design excellence, exploring new knowledge horizons and advancing cutting-edge technologies through internships, research and special R+D projects with BMW Group in Germany.
Dr Gomez has developed frameworks for emotional experience currently being used by global industry leaders such as BMW to better understand peoples’ evolving emotional experience with devices, interfaces, services and systems. He has developed an emerging track-record in applied research with wearable technologies in the medical/health area – having recently worked on a non-invasive respiratory device for covid-19 alongside Science and Engineering and Prince Charles Hospital. In collaboration with another colleague he helped secure close to $60,000 through the Cotton Research Development Corporation (CRDC) to explore the feasibility of using cotton in 3D printing. In 2015 Dr Gomez was co-curator of an international art exhibition: Wear Next_ An Exploration into the Future of Wearable Technology. This exhibition brought together artist, designers and technologists from Asia-Pacific, North America and Europe to investigate the future of wearable technology. He has been invited to present at leading institutions including Hong Kong Polytechnic University, Hong Kong Baptist University, Tsinghua University, National University of Singapore, Singapore Polytechnic, Fu Jen Catholic University, Technical University of Munich, IIT Institute of Design among others. He has contributed as a research theme leader for the People and Systems Lab and has secured over $1M in funding including national competitive grant schemes and direct industry funding.
Dr Gomez developed, deployed and manages the new Industrial Design course at QUT and has coordinated and written curriculum across all years in the School of Design. He was also part of a team that led the development of a cross-faculty Work Integrated Learning curriculum. Due to his international network another key role for Dr Gomez is to continue building strategic pathways with international institutions (Hong Kong Polytechnic University, Hong Kong Baptist University, KAIST, Technical University Munich, Delft University, HTW Berlin, among others) and world-class industry (BMW, Bombardier, TechTronics Industries, IDEO, ZIBA, among others) at the teaching and research level. One way Dr Gomez continues to build this agenda is to lead the highly successful Asia study tour, which has secured competitive grant funding from the Australian Federal Government through the New Colombo Plan to the value of $330,000.
In addition, Dr Gomez brings over 15 years’ industry experience as a designer for small, medium and large enterprises across aviation, construction, medical, government and consumer electronics. For almost 10 years he was design director for Propaganda Mill, a multidisciplinary design company working across product design, branding, graphics, high-end visualisation, projection graphics and virtual/augmented reality. Recent Achievements:
- Founder and Academic Lead BMW Group + QUT Design Academy
- Awarded Cotton Research Development Corporation (CRDC) research funding ($58,000)
- Awarded Teaching & Learning seed research grant ($40,000)
- Awarded New Colombo Plan grant funding (competitive Australian Federal Government grant) Asia study tour 2016, 2018, 2019, 2020 (over $330,000)
- Invited Delegate; Australian delegation to Korea for research and industry collaboration
- Nominated for Inaugural David Gardiner Teacher of the Year Award
- Nominated for University Doctoral Outstanding Thesis Award
Dr Gomez coordinates second year Industrial Design and established the Immersive Asia Study Tour for the Creative Industries Faculty. He has lectured, coordinated and written curriculum across the entire four year course including Introducing Design, Design Visualisation, Digital Presentation Techniques, Human-Factors and Ergonomics, Usability and also led Work Integrated Learning for the School of Design. His extensive teaching experience has led to various teaching awards including a nomination for the Inaugural David Gardiner Teacher of the Year Award QUT in 2014.
- Gomez R, Popovic V, Bucolo S, (2008) Emotional driving experiences, Design and Emotion Moves p141-164
- Gomez R, Popovic V, Bucolo S, (2006) Emotional Driving Experiences: an Opportunity for Future Technology, Proceedings from the 5th Conference on Design and Emotion 2006 p1-19
- Gomez R, Popovic V, Bucolo S, (2005) Driving Experience and the Effect of Challenging Interactions in High Traffic Context, Futureground: Volume 2 Proceedings p1-12
- Gomez R, Popovic V, Bucolo S, (2004) Driving Experience and the Effect of Challenging Interactions in High Traffic Context, Presented at: Futureground p91
- Gomez R, Popovic V, Bucolo S, (2004) Driving: The Emotional Experience and Automotive Design, Fourth International Conference on Design and Emotion p1-16
For more publications by this staff member, visit QUT ePrints, the University's research repository.
- Tuned 'Inside-Out': Mediating engagement experiences with music on-the-go
PhD, Associate Supervisor
Other supervisors: Associate Professor Marianella Chamorro-Koc
- Emotion in Motion: Bodily Expressions of Emotion |
PhD, Principal Supervisor
Other supervisors: Associate Professor Marianella Chamorro-Koc, Dr Jared Donovan
- Practical frameworks for independent design practices within lighting and furniture to encourage sustainable consumer behaviours
Masters by Research, Principal Supervisor
Other supervisors: Associate Professor Marianella Chamorro-Koc