- Professor Ross Broadfoot
Science and Engineering Faculty,
Chemistry, Physics, Mechanical Engineering,
Energy and Process Engineering
- Discipline *
- Chemical Engineering, Food Sciences
- +61 7 3138 1646
- +61 7 3138 4132
- View location details (QUT staff and student access only)
- Identifiers and profiles
Ph.D (University of Queensland)
Biomass conversion, Energy management, Equipment design, Evaporation, Process control, Process simulation, Sugar crystallisation
- 1971 to 2005 Principal Engineer & Group Leader– Process Group, Sugar Research Institute, Mackay, Queensland.
- 2005 to present Professor/Principal Engineer– Sugar Research and Innovation@QUT, Brisbane, Queensland.
Ross Broadfoot has extensive experience in sugar processing operations covering more than 40 years. This experience includes research and consultation in Australia and overseas in the following areas:
- Design, commissioning and operation of batch and continuous vacuum pans
- Recovery of sugar from final products
- Centrifugation of high and low grade massecuites
- Juice heating and multiple effect evaporation
- Plant design and process equipment design; process control
- Computer simulations of process operations
- Plant audits, technical efficiency assessments, energy efficiency audits
- Strategic planning
Ross has presented training courses for over 35 years in sugar factory supervision, sugar factory operations, operator training.
Recent overseas consulting work undertaken by Ross includes audits and equipment designs for factories in India, China, Brazil, Indonesia, Colombia, Nicaragua, Guatemala, and Ecuador.