- Dr Nick Kelly
- Senior Lecturer in Interaction Design
Faculty of CI, Education & Social Justice,
School of Design,
- Discipline *
- Specialist Studies in Education, Engineering Design
- +61 7 3138 0315
- View location details (QUT staff and student access only)
- Identifiers and profiles
PhD (University of Sydney), BDesComp(Hons) (University of Sydney)
interaction design, online community, design cognition, social networks, learning analytics, early career teacher, teacher attrition, Teacher Education and Professional Learning (TEPL), computational creativty, digital entrepreneurship
Dr Nick Kelly is a Senior Lecturer in Interaction Design at the Queensland University of Technology, in the School of Design. He is a genuinely cross-disciplinary researcher spanning the fields of Design and Education. He conducts research into design cognition (how designers think), metacognition in learning (how teachers and learners develop their metacognitive abilities), and places where these two things come together (design pedagogy, design for learning, learning by design, design of learning technologies). His specialisation is in the design, facilitation, and analysis of online communities.
His current research projects use co-design methods in the context of teacher education, homelessness in older women, child nutrition, and urban vertical schools. His other current projects include the NARRES international study of teacher resilience.
Dr Kelly was a 2018 Australian Endeavour Fellow at the University of Lleida, Spain. He is the lead author of Online Learning Networks for Pre-service and Early Career Teachers (with Marc Clarà, Ben Kehrwald and Patrick Danaher). He is the author of over 75 academic publications, has led several successive grants, and has held post-doctoral positions at the University of Sydney, the Pontifical University of Chile, the University of Southern Queensland, and Queensland University of Technology.
- DXB110 Principles of Interaction Design
- DXB111 Introduction to Web Design
For publications by this staff member, visit QUT ePrints, the University's research repository.
Completed supervisions (Doctorate)
- Using the Behaviour Change Wheel to design and test a Learning Analytics adoption strategy at a regional Australian university. (2020)
- Development and evaluation of an open online course in sport psychology using self-determination theory principles (2017)
- Evaluation of first year university students' digital apprehension, problem-solving appraisal, and transition to higher education (2017)