- Dr Michael Guihot
- Senior Lecturer
Faculty of Business & Law,
School of Law
- Discipline *
- +61 7 3138 2733
- View location details (QUT staff and student access only)
PhD (Deakin University), Bachelor of Laws (University of Newcastle)
- Professional memberships
Deputy Chair, Society on Social Impact of Technology Australia.
Artificial Intelligence and the Law, New Technology, Technology Law, Law, Regulation
My research investigates the intersection of new technology and law, including the regulation of artificial intelligence, and the impact of new technologies on power and governance. My current research investigates how changes in global power structures affect private and public governance, and the impact of new technology on legal institutions. I have published in international journals on the regulation of artificial intelligence, am co-author of the forthcoming monograph Artificial Intelligence, Robots and the Law and have also published on liability under the Competition and Consumer Act 2010 (Cth).
I am the Deputy Chair of the Society on Social Implications of Technology (Australia). I teach the new unit, Artificial Intelligence, Robots and the Law, and convene a monthly reading group in the Law School on Technology, Regulation and Society, which discusses seminal literature on Technology Law.
Before returning to teach at university in 2010, I worked as a lawyer and senior associate with national law firm Middletons Lawyers (now K&L Gates) in Sydney from 1999 to 2006. I then worked as in-house counsel in a global alcohol manufacturing company specializing in the competition law, intellectual property and compliance aspects of the business before becoming managing partner and commercial practice group head of a small firm in Sydney for 3 years.
I teach Artificial Intelligence, Robots and the Law, and Competition Law at both the undergraduate and post graduate levels. I have also taught Commercial Law, Competition Law and Policy, Commercial Remedies, Torts, and Civil Procedure. As a mark of my teaching expertise, in 2016, I was made a Fellow of the United Kingdom Higher Education Academy.
- Guihot M, (2019) Coherence in technology law, Law, Innovation and Technology p311-342
- Guihot M, (2019) New technology, the death of the biglaw monopoly and the evolution of the computer professional, North Carolina Journal of Law and Technology p405-469
- Guihot M, Matthew A, Suzor N, (2017) Nudging robots: Innovative solutions to regulate artificial intelligence, Vanderbilt Journal of Entertainment and Technology Law p385-456
- Guihot M, Rimmer M, (2019) Artificial Intelligence: Governance and Leadership - A submission to the Australian Human Rights Commission and World Economic Forum
- Gopalan S, Guihot M, (2016) Cross-border insolvency law, 1st edition
- Guihot M, (2016) Cross-border insolvency: A case for a transaction cost economics analysis, Norton Journal of Bankruptcy Law and Practice p507-558
- Guihot M, (2014) Putting the 'personal' back into injuries: An interpretation of Pt 3-5 of the Australian Consumer Law, Competition and Consumer Law Journal p232-247
- McGee J, Guihot M, Connor T, (2013) Rediscovering law students as citizens: Critical thinking and the public value of legal education, Alternative Law Journal p77-81
For more publications by this staff member, visit QUT ePrints, the University's research repository.