- Dr Michael Gabbett
- Course Coordinator Diagnostic Genomics
Faculty of Health,
School of Biomedical Sciences
- Discipline *
- Genetics, Clinical Sciences, Paediatrics and Reproductive Medicine
- +61 7 3138 0872
- +61 7 3138 6030
- View location details (QUT staff and student access only)
- Identifiers and profiles
MHM (University of New South Wales), MMedSc(ClinEpid) (University of New South Wales), MBBS (University of Queensland)
- Professional memberships
- Fellow, Royal Australasian College of Physicians
- Associate Fellow, Royal Australasian College of Medical Administrators
- Executive Member (Treasurer), Human Genetics Society of Australasia
- Executive Member (Immediate Past President), Australasian Association of Clinical Geneticists
- Member, Genomics Education Network of Australasia
- Member, Asia-Pacific Society of Human Genetics
- Member, American Society of Human Genetics
- Member, European Society of Human Genetics
Clinical genomics, Diagnostic genomics, Genetic counselling, Ethics, Education
Michael is a clinical geneticist and QUT academic. After training in paediatric medicine in Brisbane, Michael moved to Sydney where he worked at The Children’s Hospital Westmead and Sydney Children’s Hospital. He returned to Brisbane to undertake a fellowship at the University of Queensland’s Institute for Molecular Bioscience studying lamina expression before taking up a staff specialist position at Genetic Health Queensland, where he worked for over a decade. Queensland University of Technology retained Michael to run their postgraduate degrees in Diagnostic Genomics and he is now a Chief Investigator with QUT’s Centre for Genomics and Personalised Health, where he is studying the role of genomics in newborn screening.
Michael is a Past President of the Australasian Association of Human Genetics Clinical Geneticists and currently serves on the Council Executive of the Human Genetics Society of Australasia as Treasurer. He is a well- regarded educator, having taught genetics to junior doctors, general practitioners, genetic counsellors, and nurses. For the Royal Australasian College of Physicians, Michael served on the Advanced Training Committee in Clinical Genetics for over ten years and he currently sits on the Curriculum Advisory Group for the College. Michael has published extensively on the clinical features and molecular causes of rare genetic conditions.
Michael has a career in education and teaching spanning two decades. He currently co-ordinates and teaches into QUT’s Master of Diagnostic Genomics. Previously, he was instrumental in the redesign and delivery of Griffith University’s Master of Genetic Counselling.
Michael is active in the sphere of professional education of paediatricians and physicians. He currently sits on the Royal Australasia College of Physicians (RACP) Curriculum Advisory Group. He was a member of the RACP Advanced training Committee in Clinical Genetics for a number of years and held the position of RACP Regional Examiner at the Royal Children’s Hospital, Brisbane until the hospital’s closure.
Michael currently chairs the Human Genetic Society of Australasia’s working party on Core Capabilities in Genomics for medical graduates.
Dr Michael Gabbett runs his own private medical practice, The Mendel Institute, Brisbane: https://mendelinstitute.com.au.
- Gabbett M, Jeavons C, Gray P, (2020) Severe hypertension-An infantile feature of Jansen metaphyseal chondrodysplasia?, American Journal of Medical Genetics, Part A p768-772
- Gabbett M, Laporte J, Sekar R, Nandini A, McGrath P, Sapkota Y, Jiang P, Zhang H, Burgess T, Montgomery G, Chiu R, Fisk N, (2019) Molecular support for heterogonesis resulting in sesquizygotic twinning, The New England Journal of Medicine p842-849
- Newson A, Ayres S, Boyle J, Gabbett M, Nisselle A, (2018) Human Genetics Society of Australasia Position Statement: Genetic testing and personal insurance products in Australia, Twin Research and Human Genetics p533-537
- Simons C, Rash L, Crawford J, Ma L, Cristofori-Armstrong B, Miller D, Ru K, Baillie G, Alanay Y, Jacquinet A, Debray F, Verloes A, Shen J, Yesil G, Guler S, Yuksel A, Cleary J, Grimmond S, McGaughran J, King G, Gabbett M, Taft R, (2015) Mutations in the voltage-gated potassium channel gene KCNH1 cause Temple-Baraitser syndrome and epilepsy, Nature Genetics p73-77
- Delatycki M, Burke J, Christie L, Collins F, Gabbett M, George P, Haan E, Ioannou L, Martin N, McKenzie F, O'Leary P, Scoble-Williams N, Turner G, Massie J, (2014) Human Genetics Society of Australasia position statement: Population-based carrier screening for cystic fibrosis, Twin Research and Human Genetics p578-583
- Baas A, Gabbett M, Rimac M, Kansikas M, Raphael M, Nievelstein R, Nicholls W, Offerhaus J, Bodmer D, Wernstedt A, Krabichler B, Strasser U, Nyström M, Zschocke J, Robertson S, Van Haelst M, Wimmer K, (2013) Agenesis of the corpus callosum and gray matter heterotopia in three patients with constitutional mismatch repair deficiency syndrome, European Journal of Human Genetics p55-61
- Gabbett M, (2012) The oculoauriculovertebral spectrum: Refining the estimate of birth prevalence, Journal of Pediatric Genetics p71-77
- Gabbett M, (2010) Future developments in newborn dried bloodspot screening, Newborn Screening Systems: The Complete Perspective p157-163
- Johnston J, Sapp J, Turner J, Amor D, Aftimos S, Aleck K, Bocian M, Bodurtha J, Cox G, Curry C, Day R, Donnai D, Field M, Fujiwara I, Gabbett M, Gal M, Graham J, Hedera P, Hennekam R, Hersh J, Hopkin R, Kayserili H, Kidd A, Kimonis V, Lin A, Lynch S, Maisenbacher M, Mansour S, Mcgaughran J, Mehta L, Murphy H, Raygada M, Robin N, Rope A, Rosenbaum K, Schaefer G, Shealy A, Smith W, Soller M, Sommer A, Stalker H, Steiner B, Stephan M, Tilstra D, Tomkins S, Trapane P, Tsai A, Van Allen M, Vasudevan P, Zabel B, Zunich J, Black G, Biesecker L, (2010) Molecular analysis expands the spectrum of phenotypes associated with GLI3 mutations, Human Mutation p1142-1154
- Jacquinet A, Gérard M, Gabbett M, Rausin L, Misson J, Menten B, Mortier G, Van Maldergem L, Verloes A, Debray F, (2010) Temple-Baraitser syndrome: A rare and possibly unrecognized condition, American Journal of Medical Genetics, Part A p2322-2326
For more publications by this staff member, visit QUT ePrints, the University's research repository.
Awards and recognition
- Advisor/Consultant for Industry
- Reference year
- Provision of consultancy work to educate Queensland general practitioners, nurses and midwives in genomic medicine.
- Reviewer for an Academic Journal
- Reference year
- Invited reviewer for: European Journal of Medical Genetics; The Australian and New Zealand Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology; Journal of Paediatrics and Child Health; Clinical and Experimental Dermatology; Open Access Journal of Clinical Trials; Neonatology; Journal of Paediartic Dentistry; Clinical Genetics; Endocrine, Metabolic & Immune Disorders - Drug Targets
- Membership of Review Panels on Prestigious Grant Applications
- Reference year
- Peer review of the Health Research Council of New Zealand annual research funding grant round
- Assessor, Examiner or Supervisor Role
- Reference year
- Directly supervised and mentored eight individuals into the medical speciality of clinical genetics. College examiner in paediatrics 2008 - 2017 Regional examiner for the Royal Children's Hospital Brisbane 2010-2017
- Committee Role/Editor or Chair of an Academic Conference
- Reference year
- "Lead Fellow" - Chair of the Scientific Programme and Organising Committee of RACP Congress for the 2015 to the 2017 meetings.