This person does not currently hold a position at QUT.
- Miss Michelle Jeffries
- +61 7 3138 3985
- View location details (QUT staff and student access only)
- Identifiers and profiles
- Professional memberships
- Australian Association for Research in Education (AARE)
- Australian Research Alliance for Children and Youth (ARACY)
- Gender and Education Association (GEA)
- Queensland College of Teachers
For further information about my research, employment, guest lectures, and committee work, please click on the ‘biography’ tab
Existing literature is clear that positive school-family relationships play an important role in children’s school and life success, and thus the ways in which schools engage and partner with parents play a pivotal role in the experiences of school for young children, their parents and families. For same-sex attracted and gender diverse (SSAGD) parents , the broader social and political complexities, including policy, constructions of family, legislation, and media, influence the ways in which schools engage with and respond to gender and sexual diversity within schools. My doctoral research explores some of these complexities and the experiences of SSAGD parents as they navigate schools. I draw on queer theory in my work, as well as Nancy Fraser’s three-dimensional theory of social justice and politics of belonging.
My research interests also include exploring public discourses about queer-related issues across traditional and social media.
Awards, Scholarships, and Prizes
- Outstanding Contribution to Research in the Faculty by an HDR Student, Queensland University of Technology. Awarded July, 2018.
- Western Sydney University: Summer Institute of the Antipodes Bursary. Awarded November, 2016.
- AARE Alison Lee ‘Theory in Educational Research’ Scholarship (Value: $1500): Awarded October, 2016
- Australian Postgraduate Award Scholarship: Awarded 2016 (continues for length of PhD)
- QUT Student of Excellence Top Up Scholarship: Awarded 2016 (continues for length of PhD)
- Master of Education High Achievement Award and Bursary: Awarded December, 2010
Publications (See Publications Tab)
Jeffries, M. (2019). Examining media discourses of diversity and ‘indoctrination:’ Public perceptions of the intended screening of Gayby Baby in Schools. In: A. Baroutsis, S.Riddle, & P. Thomson, Education research and the media: Challenges and Possibilities (pp. 80-96). Abingdon, Oxon: Routledge.
Jeffries, M. (2019). “Doing” gender differently: Exposing the porous nature of gender norms through children’s literature. Jeunesse: Young People, Texts, Cultures, 11(1), pp. 192-203. Retrieved from http://jeunessejournal.ca/index.php/yptc/article/view/432
- Examining media discourses of ‘indoctrination’: Public perceptions of the intended screening of Gayby Baby in schools; in Digital Diversity symposium. Australian Association for Research in Education (AARE) Annual Conference, Sydney, Australian (December 2-6, 2018)
- Exploring public discourses in the same-sex marriage “debate.” Presented at Australian Association for Research in Education (AARE) Annual Conference, Canberra, Australian Capital Territory (26 Nov-30 Nov, 2017)
- School-family relationships: Experiences of same-sex attracted parents in primary schools Presented at Australian Research Alliance for Children and Youth (ARACY) Parent Engagement Conference, Melbourne, Victoria (June 6-8, 2017)
- Waging a war on ‘difference’: A critical analysis of media and public commentary relating to the inclusion of sexuality-diverse families in the school curriculum Presented at Australian Association for Research in Education (AARE) Annual Conference, Melbourne, Victoria (27 Nov-Dec 1, 2016)
Invited Guest Lectures
- 2 August, 2017: Queensland University of Technology (Caboolture Campus) EAB514: Inclusive Education and Early Intervention in Early Childhood.
- 4 August, 2017: Queensland University of Technology (Kelvin Grove Campus). EAB514: Inclusive Education and Early Intervention in Early Childhood.
- Doctor of Philosophy: October 2015 – Present
- Master of Education (Early Childhood Teaching). Completed December 2010. GPA: 7.0 (High Distinction)
- Bachelor of Education (Primary). Completed December 2001. GPA: 6.063 (First Class Honours)
- Research Assistant. (International Comparative Study of Homophobia and Transphobia in Catholic Schools). August 2018 – Present (Casual Position)
- Research Assistant. (Lowitja Project, Faculty of Education, QUT) June 2018 – September 2018 (Casual position)
- Sessional Academic – 2 sessions (Primary English). May 2018
- Sessional Academic – 2 sessions (Culture Studies, Indigenous Education) July 2017.
- Research Assistant (Naming the World Project, Faculty of Education, QUT) October 2016 – December 2017 (Part-time position)
- Research Assistant (Children’s Vision Project, Faculty of Education, QUT) March 2016 – December 2016 (Casual position)
- Queensland Queering Education Consultative Committee (QQECC): Committee Member (current)
- QUT Education Faculty Academic Misconduct Committee: Postgraduate Representative (current)
- Australian Association for Research in Education (AARE): Postgraduate Representative
2017-2018 (2 year position)
- QUT Education Faculty Equity Committee: Postgraduate Representative (2016-2018) (2.5 years)
- Queensland Action Group for LGBTIQ+ Students (external organisation)
For publications by this staff member, visit QUT ePrints, the University's research repository.