- Dr Marion Bateson
- Senior Lecturer
Science and Engineering Faculty,
Earth, Environmental and Biological Sciences,
Genetics & Biotechnology
- Discipline *
- Other Biological Sciences, Biochemistry and Cell Biology
- +61 7 3138 1269
- View location details (QUT staff and student access only)
- Identifiers and profiles
PhD (Queensland University of Technology), BSc (University of Queensland)
Biography: Marion Bateson has undertaken research in Plant Biotechnology at QUT for more than 20 years. Her main research focus has been on Potyvirus molecular biology, in particular, Papaya ringspot virus (PRSV) including genetically engineered resistance to PRSV in cucurbits and papaya (papaw), microevolution and molecular epidemiology of PRSV and identification of molecular host range determinants. She has supervised postgraduate students in plant virology and molecular biology, molecular markers, and plant tissue culture and transformation (including ginger, macadamia, tea, banana, papaw and cucurbits). Her current research interests are in nutritional biofortification. She also has a strong interest and involvement in undergraduate teaching and curriculum development in molecular biology and plant biotechnology.
Research theme: Food, Health
Research discipline: Cell & Molecular Biosciences
Research program: Tropical Crops & Biocommodities
Current research interests within the Centre for Tropical Crops and Biocommodities are (i) generating nutritionally fortified bananas through the Grand Challenges for Global Health project funded by Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation.
Particular area of interest is in increased provitamin A, ii) identification of viral gene products involved in programmed cell death.
- 2009 to present Course Coordinator (B. Applied Science)
- 2007 to present Biotechnology Major Coordinator (B. Applied Science)
- 2000 to present Lecturer, School of Life Sciences, QUT
- 1997 to 1999 A/Lecturer, School Life Sciences QUT
- 1993 to 1996 Research scientist, Centre for Molecular Biology, QUT
- 1988 to 1992 Research assistant, A/Lecturer, School Life Sciences QUT
For publications by this staff member, visit QUT ePrints, the University's research repository.