- Dr Mehdi Amirkhani
- QMomentum Visiting Fellow
Division of Research and Commercialisation,
Research and Research Training Office,
Research and Research Training - Director's Office
- +61 7 3138 9183
- View location details (QUT staff and student access only)
- Identifiers and profiles
- Professional memberships
- Member of the Architectural Science Association (ANZAScA)
- Associate Fellow of the UK Higher Education Academy (HEA)
- SCAP Grant Committee Member of QUT in 2017
- Member of the International Building Performance Simulation Association (IBPSA) – Australia
Dr Mehdi Amirkhani is an active researcher in the area of lighting design in buildings, specializing in innovative energy-efficient daylighting systems, evaluation of the luminous environment, and lighting effects on health and wellbeing.
His PhD thesis explored how increasing the luminance of areas surrounding the windows using an innovative electric wall-washing system could enhance subjective scores for the window appearance. The PhD thesis has been published and under publication in two Q1 journals, as well as four international conferences. It has also been presented to the Illuminating Engineering Society of Australia and New Zealand (IESANZ) Queensland Chapter and to the QUT Design Lab HDR Symposium.
Dr Mehdi Amirkhani is an Associate Fellow of UK Higher Education Academy (HEA) and a member of the Architectural Science Association (ASA).
He has been a scientific member (reviewer) of:
- Building Simulation Conference 2017 (Melbourne, Australia)
- PLEA Conference 2017 (Edinburgh, UK)
- PLEA Conference 2016 (Los Angeles, USA)
- 50TH Architectural Science Association Conference 2016 (Adelaide, Australia)
Beyond his teaching experience and research successes, Dr Mehdi Amirkhani has obtained a wide range of industry experience. an architect or drafter. During his professional experience, he has been engaged in abundant successful residential, educational, workplace, commercial and landscape projects. Designing diverse building types, through concept and schematic design to reach more advanced and detailed stages, has been one of his duties in most of the projects with which he has been engaged. Documentation, presentation, as well as developing and delivering progress reports lie amongst the many other tasks he has completed to date.
- 7704ENV Advanced Environmental Studies (Griffith University)
- 7604ENV Advanced Design Technologies (Griffith University)
- DEH701 Research Methods (QUT)
- Holding workshops of DAB330 Integrated Technologies 1 (QUT)
- Four years of experience as a sessional lecturer in Iran. Involving in different courses, including Constructional Details and Elements, Introduction to Architectural Design 2, Architectural Design 4, and Technical Design.
- Supervising two Bachelor of Architecture theses in Iran
With more than ten years of professional experience and cross-disciplinary knowledge in design and construction sector as an Architect and Architectural Draftsperson, Dr Mehdi Amirkhani has always maintained an active role in the industry while teaching and/ or undertaking research. Some of his design achievements are as follow:
- Documenting several residential, workplace, and healthcare projects in Australia;
- Designed and documented the building plans and interior decoration of the central Library of Islamic Azad University-Ahvaz Branch (7000 m²);
- Designed and documented the building plans and interior decoration of the Engineering Building of Azad University-Ahvaz Branch (9500 m²);
- Reviewed and redesigned the main campus of Azad University-Ahvaz, (7 Ha);
- Designed and documented the landscape of new police headquarters of Khuzestan Province (50 Ha);
- Designed and documented a residential complex with 100 units (13000 m²);
- Designed and documented the interior design of the hotel of professors and guests (5200 m²);
- Designed and documented the campus of Azad University-Masjed Soleiman (22 Ha).
For publications by this staff member, visit QUT ePrints, the University's research repository.