This person does not currently hold a position at QUT.
- Adjunct Associate Professor Sama Low Choy
- Discipline *
- +61 7 3138 1219
- +61 7 3138 2310
- View location details (QUT staff and student access only)
Ph.D (Queensland University of Technology), BSc(Hons) (University of Queensland)
- Application of statistics to environmental and ecological problems
Particular research interest in use of expert knowledge to inform statistical modelling using the Bayesian framework. Applications have included
- bioregionalisation combining expert-derived boundaries with GIS data on broad environmental (eg geology, topography) and bioclimatic attributes
- setting benchmarks on vegetation condition using expert knowledge
- designing sampling protocol for monitoring microbial contamination levels in recycled water
- habitat modelling for rare plants and animals, combining expert knowledge with site or landscape scale data (eg native thistle Stemmacantha Australis, Red Goshawk, brush-tailed rock wallaby Petrogale Pencillata, Macadamia)
- modelling impacts of flow on native aquatic plant Vallisneria Nana.
Dr Choy has also recieved an ARC discovery grant on Bayesian priors: designing epidemiological study to quantify impact of ultrafine particles from traffic emissions on human health. Bayesian prior distributions
- designing expert elicitation
- software tools to support elicitation
- encoding expert knowledge on skewed distributions
- combining multiple expert opinions
- stratification to improve habitat modelling.
For publications by this staff member, visit QUT ePrints, the University's research repository.