- Dr Lisa Tam
QUT Business School,
Advertising, Marketing and Public Relations
- Discipline *
- View location details (QUT staff and student access only)
- Identifiers and profiles
PhD (Purdue University), MPhil (Chinese University of Hong Kong), MStratPR (University of Sydney), BA (University of Sydney)
integrated marketing communication, public relations, construct development and measurement
Hi 🙂 I am a Lecturer (U.S. equivalence of Assistant Professor) in Advertising and Public Relations at the QUT Business School.
As a boundary-spanner between academia and industry, I have worked on projects to which I make conceptual and methodological contributions to develop research instruments and analytical models for identifying problems, managing their causes and designing approaches to solve them. I work closely with students, faculty colleagues from different disciplines, and industry partners to translate research findings into practical outcomes.
I have published using both qualitative (e.g., interviews with practitioners) and quantitative methods (e.g., survey and experiments with nationally representative samples of publics). My research expertise includes (a) public relations and integrated communications, (b) construct development and measurement, and (c) industry-driven research problems in different contexts (e.g., employee communication, health communication, issues and crises, public diplomacy).
My research publications and funded projects have mostly focused on the exploration of the dynamics of power and influence between organizations and publics and the roles of industry professionals as the boundary spanners of such dynamics.
I have been blessed with the following opportunities:
- 2016, 2020 Page & Johnson Legacy Scholar, awarded by Arthur W. Page Center
- 2019 Teaching Grant on Digital Storytelling, in collaboration with and funded by Hong Kong Baptist University
- 2018 Most Dedicated Reviewer, awarded by ICA Public Relations Division
- 2017-18 Two Commercial and Consultancy Projects, funded by industry partners and administered by QUT
- 2017-18 Three Research Grants, respectively awarded by three research units at QUT
- 2017-18 Two-Year Postdoctoral Research Fellowship at Level B (equivalent to Lecturer/Assistant Professor), funded by QUT Business School
- 2015-16 Three Research Grants, respectively awarded by three research units at La Trobe University
- 2014 Purdue Research Fellowship, awarded by Purdue Graduate School
- 2014 Peter Depreceny Corporate Communication Award, awarded by International Public Relations Research Conference
- 2012-16 Four-Year Ph.D. Teaching Assistantship and Tuition Waiver, funded by Purdue University
- 2010-12 Three Outstanding Teaching Awards, awarded by the Chinese University of Hong Kong
- 2011 Top Student Paper, awarded by NCA’s Communication and Social Cognition Division
- 2011 Media Academy Fellow, Salzburg Global Seminar (with scholarship from Journalism Education Foundation)
- 2010-12 Two-Year M.Phil. Teaching and Research Assistantships, funded by Chinese University of Hong Kong
I received my Ph.D. from Purdue University in May 2015. Prior to joining QUT, I was Lecturer (Assistant Professor) in Strategic Communication at La Trobe University. Author-accepted versions of my research outputs can be found on ResearchGate.
My teaching is guided by three broad principles: relationship-centered, profession-centered, and diversity-centered. I work with industry advisors and tutors to develop teaching content and “real-world” assessments and regularly seek feedback from students. I design assessments and class activities that ensure students acquire and apply real-world expertise and skills to solve industry problems.
I also manage the “student engagement” portfolio within the School’s Engagement Committee, leading initiatives to connect students with industry professionals.
I have taught the following classes:
QUT Business School, Brisbane, Australia (2017-present)
- AMB263 Introduction to Public Relations
- AMB330 Digital Portfolio
- AMN465 Public Relations Management (postgraduate)
La Trobe University, Melbourne, Australia (2015-17)
- STC1WSC Writing for Strategic Communication
- STC1CAM Campaigns: Strategy, Analysis, and Design
- STC2CTA Communication Theory and Analysis
- STC5SOC Strategic Communication in Society (postgraduate)
- STC5RES Strategic Communication Research (postgraduate)
- STC5THP Strategic Communication Thesis (postgraduate)
Purdue University, Indiana, USA (2012-15)
- COM114 Fundamentals of Speech Communication
- COM114e Fundamentals of Speech Communication (for engineering students)
- COM314 Advanced Presentational Speaking
- COM325 Interviewing: Principles and Practices
- COM325 Interviewing: Principles and Practices (“Summer in Siena” study abroad program)
Chinese University of Hong Kong (2010-12)
- COMM2910 News Analysis
- COMM4140 International Communication
For publications by this staff member, visit QUT ePrints, the University's research repository.