- Dr Llew Rintoul
- Research Infrastructure Specialist (Vibrational Spectroscopy)
Institute for Future Environments,
IFE Central Analytical Research Facility
- Vibrat Spectro Facility Coordinator
Science and Engineering Faculty,
Chemistry & Physics
- Discipline *
- Macromolecular and Materials Chemistry, Physical Chemistry (incl. Structural)
- +61 7 3138 2264 /3138 1228
- +61 7 3138 1804
- View location details (QUT staff and student access only)
- Identifiers and profiles
Ph.d (University of Queensland)
DFT calculations, Infrared spectroscopy, Materials characterisation, Microspectroscopy, Raman spectroscopy
- Characterisation of polymer treatments
IR and Raman micro-spectroscopy is used to chemically map the surface of polymers that have undergone a variety of treatments such as radiation, plasma and solvents and/or graft polymerisation reactions or other processes such as photo-thermal degradation.
- Density Functional Theory (DFT) calculations of vibrational spectra
There is still a great need for fundamental research into spectral assignments of many chemical classes. DFT calculations are undertaken to assign the spectra of nitroxide free radicals, which provide insights into the nature of more complicated chemical systems involving these radicals.
- Vibrational spectroscopy of biomaterials and bio-mineralisation
Characterisation studies of minerals are also applied to bio-mineral systems such as hydroxyapatites and fluoro/hydroxyapatites. Polarised IR microscopy is used to study ordered biological systems such as collagen and collagen degradation in cartilage.
- Rintoul L, Micallef A, Bottle S, (2008) The vibrational group frequency of the N-O stretching band of nitroxide stable free radicals, Spectrochimica Acta - Part A: Molecular and Biomolecular Spectroscopy p713-717
- De Visser S, Bowden J, Wentrup-Byrne E, Rintoul L, Bostrom T, Pope J, Momot K, (2008) Anisotropy of collagen fibre alignment in bovine cartilage: comparison of polarised light microscopy and spatially resolved diffusion-tensor measurements1, Osteoarthritis and Cartilage p689-697
- Goodall R, Hall J, Sharer R, Traxler L, Rintoul L, Fredericks P, (2008) Micro-attenuated total reflection spectral imaging in archaeology: application to Maya paint and plaster wall decorations, Applied Spectroscopy p10-16
- Bowden J, Rintoul L, Bostrom T, Pope J, Wentrup-Byrne E, (2007) Prediction of Bovine Cartilage Proteoglycan Content Using Energy Dispersive X-ray Analysis or Optical Absorbance and a Multivariate Techniques-Fourier Transform Infrared Microspectroscopy Model, New Approaches in Biomedical Spectroscopy p377-390
- Kiani K, Hill D, Rasoul F, Whittaker M, Rintoul L, (2007) Raft Mediated Surface Grafting of t-Butyl Acrylate onto an Ethylene-Propylene Copolymer Initiated by Gamma Radiation, Journal of Polymer Science, Part A: Polymer Chemistry p1074-1083
- Li L, Zhu Z, Yan Z, Lu G, Rintoul L, (2007) Catalytic Ammonia Decomposition Over Ru/Carbon Catalysts: The Importance of the Structure of Carbon Support, Applied Catalysis A: General p166-172
- Fuzail M, Hill D, Anwar J, Jahan S, Rintoul L, (2007) Effectiveness of DOP Mobilizer on the Radiolysis of a Semi-Crystalline Ethylene-Propylene Copolymer, Nuclear Instruments and Methods in Physics Research, Section B: Beam Interactions with Materials and Atoms p285-289
- Rintoul L, Wentrup-Byrne E, Suzuki S, Grondahl L, (2007) FT-IR Spectroscopy of Fluoro-Substituted Hydroxyapatite: Strengths and Limitations, Journal of Materials Science: Materials in Medicine p1701-1709
- Suzuki S, Rintoul L, Monteiro M, Wentrup-Byrne E, Grondahl L, (2007) In-Vitro Mineralization of Phosphate Containing Polymer Ad-Layers, Polymer Preprints p430-431
- Musumeci A, Silva G, Liu J, Rintoul L, Waclawik E, George G, (2007) MWNT Polymer Nanocomposites Based on P3HT, Advanced Materials Research p291-294
For more publications by this staff member, visit QUT ePrints, the University's research repository.