- Dr Katarzyna Futrega
- Research Associate
Science and Engineering Faculty,
Chemistry, Physics, Mechanical Engineering,
Biomedical Engineering and Medical Physics
- IHBI Membership
Institute of Health Biomedical Innovation (IHBI),
IHBI Science and Engineering Projects,
IHBI Chem Physics Mech Engineering - IPTM
- Discipline *
- +61 7 3443 7311
- View location details (QUT staff and student access only)
- Identifiers and profiles
PhD (Queensland University of Technology), BSc (University of Waterloo)
- Professional memberships
Australasian Society for Stem Cell Research (ASSCR) – Membership and Communication Chair
Dr Kathryn Futrega received her PhD in Biomedical Engineering from QUT in 2016 and is currently an Early Career Researcher (ECR). Prior to this, she completed a Bachelor of Science (BSc, Honours) in Biochemistry with a specialisation in Biotechnology from the University of Waterloo, Canada. Her current research interests include cartilage tissue engineering, bone and bone marrow biology, as well as the development of novel cell culture devices, and development of strategies to maximise the therapeutic potential of stem and progenitor cells through ex vivo manipulation.
- 2018 Guest Lecturer, Queensland University of Technology Cellular Engineering (LQB595). Topic: Haematopoietic stem and progenitor cells.
- 2017 Instructor for practicals and workshops, Queensland University of Technology Chemistry for Health Sciences (CZB190).
- 2016 Guest Lecturer, Queensland University of Technology Cellular Engineering (LQB595). Topic: Haematopoietic stem and progenitor cells.
- 2015 Sessional Academic Staff, Queensland University of Technology Cellular Engineering (LQB595).
- 2011 Sessional Academic Staff, Queensland University of Technology Human Anatomy and Physiology (LSB142).
- 2011 Sessional Academic Staff, Queensland University of Technology Medical Cell Biology (LQB584).
- 2009 Teaching Assistant, University of Waterloo, Canada Fundamentals in Biochemistry, Course Tutorial, 2nd year level.
- 2008 Teaching Assistant, University of Waterloo, Canada Biochemistry Laboratory, 2nd year level.
- 2016 & 2017 -The World Science Festival, “Bioengineer’s Apprentice Program”,
Translational Research Institute, Brisbane
- 22-24 Jul 2015 – Theo Murphy High Flyers Think Tank: The stem cell revolution: Lessons and imperatives for Australia, Australian Academy of Sciences. Participant in 2-day discussion with experts and other ECMRs in the field. Published in 2015.
- 28 Sept – 2 Oct 2015 – SPARQ-ed Research Immersion Program, The University of Queensland, Australia
Dr Futrega regularly participates in the teaching, training and mentorship of graduate and undergraduate students. Examples of day-to-day training/mentorship include: QUT graduate students, Co-operative education student trainees from the University of Waterloo, Canada, and Vacation Research Experience Scheme Students from UQ and QUT.
For publications by this staff member, visit QUT ePrints, the University's research repository.