- Dr Julia Bally
- Postdoctoral Senior Research Fellow in Plant Biotechnology
Faculty of Science,
School of Biology & Environmental Science
- Discipline *
- Plant Biology, Agricultural Biotechnology, Biochemistry and Cell Biology
- +61 7 3138 7670
- View location details (QUT staff and student access only)
- Identifiers and profiles
PhD (Universite Lille 1 - Science and Technology)
Plant biotechnology & Plant genomic, Plant Genetic Engineering & Signaling, Molecular & Cellular Biology, Plant Physiology and evolution, Recombinant proteins / gene expression
Dr Julia Bally is currently employed as a Research Fellow in the Centre for Tropical Crops and Biocommodities (CTCB), at the Queensland University of Technology (QUT).
She has completed her PhD in Biological science in 2008 at Bayer Cropscience, in collaboration with the CNRS-University of Lyon (France), studying recombinant protein expression and folding in chloroplasts. After a first post-doc on rhizobium-legume symbiosis, nitrogen fixation, still at Bayer Cropscience, she joined Peter Waterhouse’s team at the University of Sydney in 2011 with an ARC Super Science Fellowship. She spent her fellowship working on the model plant Nicotiana benthamiana and developing an extreme gene expression system as a platform for industrial plant-biotechnology, with a particular interest for research on gene silencing and RNAi. She subsequently joined the CTCB in 2014 to continue her research in Peter Waterhouse’s team and work on projects, developed in collaboration with Corteva Agriscience, focusing on trans-kingdom RNAi and plant protection against agricultural pests.
- Bally J, Fishilevich E, Bowling A, Pence H, Narva K, Waterhouse P, (2018) Improved insect-proofing: expressing double-stranded RNA in chloroplasts, Pest Management Science p1751-1758
- Bally J, McIntyre G, Doran R, Lee K, Perez A, Jung H, Eftekhari F, Larrinua I, Nava K, Waterhouse P, (2016) In-plant protection against Helicoverpa armigera by production of long hpRNA in chloroplasts, Frontiers in Plant Science p1-9
- Bally J, Nakasugi K, Jia F, Jung H, Ho S, Wong M, Paul C, Eftekhari F, Wood C, Crowhurst R, Hellens R, Dale J, Waterhouse P, (2015) The extremophile Nicotiana benthamiana has traded viral defence for early vigour, Nature Plants p1-6