- Adjunct Associate Professor James Smith
- Adjunct Associate Professor
Science and Engineering Faculty,
Earth, Environmental and Biological Sciences,
Genetics & Biotechnology
- Discipline *
- 0000 0000
- View location details (QUT staff and student access only)
- Identifiers and profiles
Ph.d Microbiology (Montana State University)
- Professional memberships
- Australian Society for Microbiology
- Clean Air Society of Australia and New Zealand
- International Laboratory for Air Quality and Health
Antarctica - microbiology, Bioaerosols, Biofilms and biofouling, Bios, Environmental microbiology, Food microbiology, Microbial air quality measurement and analysis, Microbial ecology and biogeochemistry, Water/wastewater quality, monitoring and treatment
- Forestry practices and Fe biogeochemistry in a model E Australian coastal catchment
Using culture-based and molecular microbial ecological techniques, Dr Smith and his team are investigating biogeochemical controls over iron mobilisation and sequestration in groundwater and associated soils in relation to pine forestry plantation practices in a model coastal catchment.
- Use of novel molecular ecological tools for isolation of new canegrub biocontrol agents
In a CRC-SIIB-funded project, Dr Smith is investigating the applicability of a number of rRNA-based molecular microbiological techniques (T-RPLP, D-HPLC, DGGE/TGGE, SSH) for identification of potential novel canegrub biocontrol agents, and occurrence of presumptive scarab pathogens in QLD canegrubs.
- Generation and evaluation of biological internal standards
Evaluation of the stability and applicability of GFP-expressing bacterial-standard laboratory type-strains as internal standards in routine, standardised microbiological analysis of food and water using selective-differential media. Determination of variation in commercially-available selective media using precise certified microbiological reference materials (BTF Pty Ltd-Sydney).
- Environmental microbiology (biogeochemistry)
- Food microbiology
- Microbial evolution and diversity
- Technical writing.
Areas of expertise
- Applied environmental microbiology
- Aerobiology and bioaerosols
- Microbial monitoring and regulation
- Water/wastewater microbiology and chemistry
- Antarctic microbiology.
For publications by this staff member, visit QUT ePrints, the University's research repository.