- Professor Janice How
QUT Business School,
Economics and Finance
- Discipline *
- Banking, Finance and Investment
- +61 7 3138 4321
- +61 7 3138 1500
- View location details (QUT staff and student access only)
- Identifiers and profiles
Doctor of Philosphy (University of Western Aust.)
analyst forecasts, capital market-based accounting research, corporate governance, corporate payouts, equity offerings (IPOs and SEOs), executive compensations
Janice How’s research interests are primarily in corporate finance, with particular emphasis on corporate governance, capital raisings (IPOs and SEOs), analyst forecasts, payout policies, and political economy. Her research can be found in refereed international journals including The Journal of Business, Journal of Corporate Finance, Journal of Accounting Auditing and Finance, and Journal of Business Ethics. Janice is a strong supporter of regional research and has contributed to leading journals in the field including Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Accounting and Finance, and Australian Journal of Management. Her research has been acknowledged internationally through numerous key research awards. Janice has supervised more than 100 theses at the Honours, Master, and PhD levels. Prior to joining QUT, she was Professor and Head of Finance at The University of Auckland, and has held various positions at Curtin University and The University of Western Australia. She was the founding Director of Area of Research Excellence in Asia-Pacific Capital Markets at Curtin Business School.
- Corporate finance
- Corporate governance
- Capital raisings (IPOs and SEOs)
- Capital structure
- Political economy
- Analyst forecasts
- Islamic finance
Awards and Honours
- 2011: QUT Recognition of High Quality PhD Thesis Supervision.
- 2011: The Third Malaysian Outstanding Research Paper in Accounting Award, First Prize in the Corporate Governance Category.
- 2010: Finance and Corporate Governance Conference, Best Paper Award in Corporate Finance.
- 2004: Curtin Student Guild Award for Excellence in Supervision, Honourable Mention
- 2001: CBS Article of the Year Award
- 2001: CBS New Researcher of the Year Award
- 2001: Golden Key Honorary Member
- 2001: Journal of Accounting Auditing and Finance/KPMG Conference Travel Grant
- 1999 – 2000: PACAP (Sandra Ann Morsilli Pacific-Basin Capital Markets Research Centre) Research Fellow
- 1999: Singapore Stock Exchange/PACAP (FMA) Competitive Research Award
- 1996: Stanford/UWA Research Fellowship
- 1995: Coopers & Lybrand’s Accounting Association of Australia and New Zealand (AAANZ) Conference Paper Research Award
- 1994 – 1995: PACAP (Sandra Ann Morsilli Pacific-Basin Capital Markets Research Centre) Research Fellow
- 1994: Sydney Futures Exchange Limited/PACAP Competitive Research Award
- 1992: Stock Exchange of Hong Kong Limited/PACAP Competitive Research Award
- 1991: Arthur Andersen International Research Award
For publications by this staff member, visit QUT ePrints, the University's research repository.