- Dr Jamie Riches
- Senior Research Officer (Electron Microscopy)
Science and Engineering Faculty,
School of Biology & Environmental Science
- Discipline *
- Biochemistry and Cell Biology, Other Physical Sciences
- +61 7 3138 5286
- View location details (QUT staff and student access only)
- Identifiers and profiles
Doctor of Philosophy (Physics) (University of Queensland)
- Professional memberships
- Member of Australian Society for Electron Microscopy (since 1996)
Google Scholar profile
Dr. Jamie Riches joined the Central Analytical Research Facility, within the Institute for Future Environments, from the European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL) in Heidelberg, Germany. At EMBL he worked within the division of Structural and Computational Biology and undertook research into virus structure by cryo-electron tomography and sub-tomogram averaging. This work was successful in elucidating structural features of viruses including HIV, Marburg virus and Ebola virus.
Prior to this, he has worked at the Centre for Microscopy and Microanalysis at the University of Queensland, collaborating with researchers in the Institute for Molecular Biosciences and in the Nanomaterials Centre. Through these collaborations he has gained extensive experience in the characterisation of a wide range of samples, including virus like particles, quantum dots, mesoporous films and nanocomposite membranes.
- Xiao Q, Sarina S, Waclawik E, Jia J, Chang J, Riches J, Wu H, Zheng Z, Zhu H, (2016) Alloying gold with copper makes for a highly selective visible-light photocatalyst for the reduction of nitroaromatics to anilines, ACS Catalysis p1744-1753
- Xiao Q, Liu S, Bo A, Zavahir F, Sarina S, Bottle S, Riches J, Zhu H, (2015) Catalytic transformation of aliphatic alcohols to corresponding esters in O2 under neutral conditions using visible-light irradiation, Journal of the American Chemical Society p1956-1966
- Bharat T, Noda T, Riches J, Kraehling V, Kolesnikova L, Becker S, Kawaoka Y, Briggs J, (2012) Structural dissection of Ebola virus and its assembly determinants using cryo-electron tomography, Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America p4275-4280
- Bharat T, Davey N, Ulbrich P, Riches J, De Marco A, Rumlova M, Sachse C, Ruml T, Briggs J, (2012) Structure of the immature retroviral capsid at 8 A resolution by cryo-electron microscopy, Nature p385-389
- Faini M, Prinz S, Beck R, Schorb M, Riches J, Bacia K, Brugger B, Wieland F, Briggs J, (2012) The structures of COPI-coated vesicles reveal alternate coatomer conformations and interactions, Science p1451-1454
- Bharat T, Riches J, Kolesnikova L, Welsch S, Davey N, Parsy M, Becker S, Briggs J, (2011) Cryo-electron tomography of Marburg virus particles and their morphogenesis within infected cells, PLoS Biology p1-12
- De Marco A, Davey N, Ulbrich P, Phillips J, Lux V, Riches J, Fuzik T, Ruml T, Krausslich H, Vogt V, Briggs J, (2010) Conserved and variable features of gag structure and arrangement in immature retrovirus particles, Journal of Virology p11729-11736
- Welsch S, Kolesnikova L, Krahling V, Riches J, Becker S, Briggs J, (2010) Electron tomography reveals the steps in filovirus budding, PLoS Pathogens p1-9
For more publications by this staff member, visit QUT ePrints, the University's research repository.