- Dr Jerome Ramirez
- Research Fellow
Faculty of Engineering,
School of Mech., Medical & Process Engineering
- Discipline *
- Chemical Engineering, Industrial Biotechnology
- +61 7 3138 1951
- View location details (QUT staff and student access only)
- Identifiers and profiles
PhD (Queensland University of Technology), BSc (Chemical Engineering) (University of the Philippines)
- Professional memberships
chemical engineering, technoeconomics, biomass conversion, sustainable technology, sustainable production
Dr Jerome Ramirez is a Postdoctoral Research Fellow in the Centre for Agriculture and the Bioeconomy within Queensland University of Technology. He received his PhD in Energy and Process Engineering in 2018 and a Bachelor of Science in Chemical Engineering from the University of the Philippines – Diliman.
Dr Ramirez’ industry experience includes process evaluation and design, process safety, safety and environmental compliance, and risk assessment in the petrochemicals and geothermal energy industries in the Philippines. Furthermore, he has been involved in a number of bioenergy and sustainable production projects in Australia during the course of his PhD study.
His current research focuses on techno-economic modelling of technologies that can couple with conventional production systems to enable sustainable production. This enables the adoption of these technologies in view of increased material and energy efficiency, lower cost, and increased economic, environmental and social benefits.
His research interests encompass chemical process modelling, process integration for sustainable production, and techno-economic analysis.
EGB364 – Process Modelling
- Ramirez J, McCabe B, Jensen P, Speight R, Harrison M, van den Berg L, O'Hara I, (2021) Wastes to profit: a circular economy approach to value-addition in livestock industries, Animal Production Science p541-550
- Taghipour A, Hornung U, Ramirez J, Brown R, Rainey T, (2021) Aqueous phase recycling in catalytic hydrothermal liquefaction for algal biomass and the effect on elemental accumulation and energy efficiency, Journal of Cleaner Production
- Taghipour A, Hornung U, Ramirez J, Brown R, Rainey T, (2021) Fractional distillation of algae based hydrothermal liquefaction biocrude for co-processing: changes in the properties, storage stability, and miscibility with diesel, Energy Conversion and Management
- Onigbajumo A, Taghipour A, Ramirez J, Will G, Ong T, Couperthwaite S, Steinberg T, Rainey T, (2021) Techno-economic assessment of solar thermal and alternative energy integration in supercritical water gasification of microalgae, Energy Conversion and Management
- Taghipour A, Ramirez J, Brown R, Rainey T, (2019) A review of fractional distillation to improve hydrothermal liquefaction biocrude characteristics; future outlook and prospects, Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews p1-24
- Ramirez J, Rainey T, (2019) Comparative techno-economic analysis of biofuel production through gasification, thermal liquefaction and pyrolysis of sugarcane bagasse, Journal of Cleaner Production p513-527
- Chu Van T, Ramirez J, Rainey T, Ristovski Z, Brown R, (2019) Global impacts of recent IMO regulations on marine fuel oil refining processes and ship emissions, Transportation Research Part D: Transport and Environment p123-134
- Ramirez J, Brown R, Rainey T, (2018) Techno-economic analysis of the thermal liquefaction of sugarcane bagasse in ethanol to produce liquid fuels, Applied Energy p184-193
- Ramirez J, Brown R, Rainey T, (2017) Liquefaction biocrudes and their petroleum crude blends for processing in conventional distillation units, Fuel Processing Technology p674-683
- Ramirez J, Brown R, Rainey T, (2015) A review of hydrothermal liquefaction bio-crude properties and prospects for upgrading to transportation fuels, Energies p6765-6794
For more publications by this staff member, visit QUT ePrints, the University's research repository.
- Modelling Biorefineries for the Production of Biofuels and Biochemicals
PhD, Principal Supervisor
Other supervisors: Professor Ian O'Hara
- Fractional Distillation of Hydrothermal Liquefaction Biocrude
PhD, Associate Supervisor
Other supervisors: Associate Professor Thomas Rainey, Professor Zoran Ristovski, Professor Richard Brown