- Associate Professor Jodie Moll
- Associate Professor
QUT Business School,
- Discipline *
- Accounting, Auditing and Accountability
- +61 7 3138 1019
- View location details (QUT staff and student access only)
- Identifiers and profiles
Doctor of Philosophy (Griffith University)
- Professional memberships
IM Academic Membership
I have been working in academia for more than 20 years. My current research interests lie in understanding the roles of accounting in innovation and its interplay with technology. Research that I have undertaken has been published in journals such Management Accounting Research and Accounting, Organizations and Society. Current work that I am involved in is concerned with identifying and understanding the kinds of management practices that can be used to help those undertaking R&D take better calculated risks.
Specialties: My research interests lie in the social and organisational aspects of accounting. Early in my career I focused on understanding innovations in Public Financial Management in countries such as the UK and Australia. When I moved to the UK my research focus broadened to include innovations in accounting at intra- and inter-firm levels. This new focus was inspired by the rapidly changing business landscape and the accounting systems which provide a basis for organizing and managing it.
In more recent times, my research interests also include understanding how the role of the management accountant is changing to address disruptive technology innovations such as cloud, big data and AI. In addition, to my work at QUT, I hold an Honorary Reader position at the University of Manchester.
I am currently the unit convenor for Cost and Management Accounting.
My previous appointments at Griffith University (Australia), ISCTE (Lisbon), London School of Economics (UK), and AESE (Portugal) and Modul University (Austria) mean that I have extensive experience of teaching financial reporting, management accounting and public sector finance at undergraduate and postgraduate levels. I also have experience in teaching research methods courses to postgraduate students.
I have published several chapters in three postgraduate textbooks: Handbook on Qualitative Accounting Research Methods; Methodological Issues in Accounting Research; Theories and Methods; Issues in Management Accounting; and Handbook of Cost and Management Accounting.
- Chartered Institute for Securities & Investment and Royal Bank of Canada, “Building the Legitimacy of Whistleblowers: A Multi-Case Discourse Analysis”, Presentation to CISI Members as part of CPD (05/02/2019).
- British Accounting and Finance Association (BAFA), Blackpool Public sector accounting symposium: “Ten Years After – The WGA project and implications for public sector accounting research”, (other members of the panel included Chris Humphrey (MBS), Danny Chow (Birkbeck), Keiran Rix (HM Treasury), David Watkins (HM Treasury)) (2/04/08).
- HM Treasury, London UK. “A Conceptual and Practical Minefield? A Question of (Not) Learning from the International Developments in Consolidated Government Accounting”. Central Accountancy CPD event: Developments in Accountancy (16/12/05).
For publications by this staff member, visit QUT ePrints, the University's research repository.