- Dr Iman Ashtiani Abdi
- Postdoctoral Research Fellow Chemical/Process Engineer
Science and Engineering Faculty,
School of Mechanical Medical & Process Engineering
- Discipline *
- Chemical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Interdisciplinary Engineering
- +61 7 3138 0421
- View location details (QUT staff and student access only)
- Identifiers and profiles
Doctor of Philosophy (University of Queensland)
Sugar Industry, Evaporator, Filtration, Porous Media, Bioenergy, Crystalliser, Cooling Tower, Renewable Energy, Energy Storage
Iman Ashtiani Abdi obtained his bachelor’s degree in 2006 from the School of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, Azad University – Science and Research Branch, Iran, and master’s degree in 2011 from the Aerospace Engineering Department, Middle East Technical University, Turkey. He obtained his PhD from the School of Mechanical & Mining Engineering, the University of Queensland in 2011, where his research focus was investigating the flow behaviour within porous media, with applications in heat exchangers and filters. Iman gained an extensive experience in experimental fluid mechanic measurement and visualisation using different techniques such as tomographic PIV, PDPA, LDA, and LIF during his PhD studies, and developed a comprehensive knowledge of fluid flow through an open-cell porous medium. He continued his collaboration with UQ in the Renewable Energy Conversion Centre of Excellence (RECCE) as a postdoctoral research fellow studying on cell optimisation of metal foam to increase heat transfer. In late 2017, he joined the industry as a mechanical design engineer at Zero Emissions Developments (ZED). There, he worked on a broad range of projects such as design and manufacturing of freeze dryer, heat treatment equipment and grain dryer. Beside designing agricultural machinery, he also led a team to develop a thermopnumatic energy storage and a mobile solar powerplant. He joined the Centre for Agriculture and the Bioeconomy (CAB) as a postdoctoral research fellow in process engineering to investigate the sugar manufacturing process in 2019.
- Fundamentals of Fluid Mechanics
- Thermodynamics & Heat Transfer
- Engineering Design
Queensland University of Technology – Centre for Agriculture and the Bioeconomy (Brisbane, Queensland)
Research Fellow (March 2019 – Present)
- Pan design and operational changes to suit Australian pan stages operating on low-pressure vapour.
- Evaluation of the performance of the falling film tube evaporator.
- Evaluation of the performance of the fixed element crystalliser and its suitability to be retrofitted into defunct crystalliser internals in the industry.
- Evaluation of the suitability of two mud level sensing technologies (acoustic & image analysis) for juice clarifiers.
- Reduction of extraneous matter (EM) in the supply cane in each train carriage via controlled burn.
- Development of a platform using deep machine learning (DML) to measure the amount of EM in the supply cane to a sugar mill on the conveyor belts.
- Operational risk assessment of a small scale solar-based hydrogen production plant with respect to production and transport activities.
Zero Emissions Developments (Helensvale, Queensland)
Senior Mechanical Engineer (Jan 2018 – March 2019)
- Design and commission of:
- thermo-pneumatic energy storage system
- freeze dryer
- thermal fumigation machine
- mobile solar power plant
- Project planning and delivery of a 400kW roof-mounted tracking PV with storage.
- Project planning and delivery of a walkway covered with 100kW fixed PV with storage.
- Project planning of a 650kW roof-mounted fix and tracking PV with storage
PCM: Positive Displacement Pumps (Brisbane, Queensland)
Application Developer (Oct 2017 – Jan 2018)
- Development of an interactive platform to analyse and visualise large datasets obtained from the positive displacement pumps installed on coal seam gas (CSG) wells to be used for smart maintenance and avoid possible failure.
Renewable Energy Conversion Centre of Excellence (Brisbane, Queensland)
Research Fellow / Lab. Manager (Nov 2015 – Oct 2017)
- Optimised Metal Foam to Increase Heat Exchanger’s Efficiency in Power Plants
- Designed Supercritical CO2 Open Loop Apparatus to Study Solar Thermal Power Plants
- Preliminary Design of Heat Recovery System for a Powder Coating Company
- Fabricated Microchannel using 3D Printer for Bioengineering Applications
- Analysed the Effect of Crosswind on Performance of Cooling Towers using Optical Methods
University of Queensland – School of Mechanical & Mining Eng. (Brisbane, Queensland)
Research Assistant (May 2012 – Nov 2015)
- Analysed Porous Media to Optimise Heat Exchangers
- Studied transient hydrodynamics of flow in inclined tube bundles
- Studied buoyancy induced heat transfer deterioration in concentric and eccentric annuli
- optimizing spray nozzles for cooling tower applications
Harvard-MIT Division of HST – Biomaterials Innovation Research Centre (Cambridge, MA)
Visiting Scholar (Jan 2015 – Aug 2015)
- Experimental study of mechanical and fracture behaviour of Gelatin-Methacryloyl
- Development of a bio-compatible flowmeter (Smart Stent)
- Fabrication of microfluidic channels
Middle East Technical University – Centre for Wind Energy, Middle (Ankara, Turkey)
Research Assistant (Sep 2009 – Sep 2011)
- Designed a Low Speed, Suction Wind Tunnel
- Designed and Manufacturing a 1kW Wind Turbine
- Optimised Long Span Bridges’ Decks
For publications by this staff member, visit QUT ePrints, the University's research repository.