- Professor Graham Kerr
Faculty of Health,
School - Exercise and Nutrition Sciences
- IHBI Membership
Institute of Health Biomedical Innovation (IHBI),
IHBI Health Projects,
IHBI Exercise and Nutrition - IPTM
- Discipline *
- Human Movement and Sports Science
- +61 7 3138 6303
- +61 7 3138 6030
- View location details (QUT staff and student access only)
- Identifiers and profiles
PhD (University of Western Aust.), MPE (University of Otago), BSc (University of Otago)
- Professional memberships
Australian Neuroscience Society Member Society for Neuroscience Member International Brain Research Organisation Member International Society for Posture & Gait Member Neural Control of Movement Member Australasian Winter Conference on Brain Research Australian Corresponding Member Australian Falls Prevention Conference 2006 Convenor
Ageing, Balance, gait and falls in older people, Motor control, Movement disorders, Parkinson's Disease, Sensorimotor coordination.
Posture, Balance, Gait and Falls in Older People: this research examines the effects of ageing on postural stability and the occurrence of falls. Several projects are underway as part of an NHMRC Injury Prevention Partnership, Prevention of Older Peoples Injuries.
- Effects of actual and simulated visual deficits, standing balance and walking and the relationship to falls
- Neurological disease and falls
- Cardiovascular and aerobic risk factors for falls in older people.
Central nervous system and movement disorders
- Evaluating posture and balance control and predisposition to falls in Parkinson’s Disease
- Prediction of driving performance in Parkinson’s Disease
- Posture and limb tremor relationships in Parkinson’s Disease.
Spinal Cord Injury
- Repair of the injured spinal cord: trialling potential cell therapies.
Proprioceptive control of movement
This research provides fundamental knowledge of the role of proprioceptive information in the coordination and control of arm movements. This project examines how arm movements are affected by alterations in
- afferent information from different muscles
- vestibular afferents
- mechanical properties of the arm
- neurological conditions in which there are proprioceptive deficits.
This knowledge is essential for development of technology for human-machine interfaces, neurally controlled prostheses, and effective rehabilitation procedures.
Control of Visually Guided Arm Movements
This research examines the control of visually guided movements during pointing, reaching and tracking tasks. This research is directed at understanding how and when visual information is used to control arm movements and how this is affected by ageing, visual impairment and neurological disease.
- HMB271 Foundations of Motor Control Learning & Development
- HMB371 Advanced Motor Control & Learning
- Fourth Year Projects.
- Wood JM, Lacherez PF, Black AA, Cole MH, Boon MY, Kerr GK, (2009) Postural stability and gait among older adults with age-related maculopathy, Investigative Ophthalmology and Visual Science p482-487
- Wood JM, Anstey KJ, Kerr GK, Lacherez PF, Lord SR, (2008) A multidomain approach for predicting older driver safety under in-traffic road conditions, Journal of the American Geriatrics Society p986-993
- Mackay-Sim A, Feron F, Conchran J, Bassingthwaighte L, Bayliss C, Davies W, Fronek P, Gray C, Kerr GK, Licina P, Nowitzke A, Perry C, Silburn PA, Urquhart S, Geraghty T, (2008) Autologous olfactory ensheathing cell transplantation in human paraplegia: A 3-year clinical trial, Brain p2376-2386
- Morrison S, Kerr GK, Newell KM, Silburn PA, (2008) Differential time- and frequency-dependent structure of postural sway and finger tremor in Parkinson's disease, Neuroscience Letters p123-128
- Morrison S, Kerr GK, Silburn PA, (2008) Bilateral Tremor Relations in Parkinson's Disease: Effects of Mechanical Coupling and Medication, Parkinsonism and Related Disorders p298-308
- Pickering RM, Grimbergen YA, Rigney U, Ashburn A, Mazibrada G, Wood B, Grey P, Kerr GK, Bloem B, (2007) A Meta-Analysis of Six Prospective Studies of Falling in Parkinson's Disease, Movement Disorders p1892-1900
- Kerr GK, Morrison S, Silburn PA, (2008) Coupling Between Limb Tremor and Postural Sway in Parkinson's Disease, Movement Disorders p386-394
- Worringham CJ, Wood JM, Kerr GK, Silburn PA, (2006) Predictors of Driving Assessment Outcome in Parkinson's Disease, Movement Disorders p230-235
- Wood JM, Worringham CJ, Kerr GK, Mallon KL, Silburn P, (2005) Quantitative Assessment of Driving Performance in Parkinson's Disease, Journal of Neurology Neurosurgery and Psychiatry p176-180
- Askew C, Green S, Walker PJ, Kerr GK, Green AA, Williams AD, Febbraio MA, (2005) Skeletal Muscle Phenotype is Associated with Exercise Tolerance in Patients with Peripheral Arterial Disease, Journal of Vascular Surgery p802-807
For more publications by this staff member, visit QUT ePrints, the University's research repository.
Completed supervisions (Doctorate)
- Dynamics of acquiring adaptive skills in a complex multi-articular task: Constraints on metastable actions (2016)
- The Relationship between Executive Function, Postural Instability and Gait Disturbance in Parkinson's Disease (2015)
- Functional Adaptation and Rehabilitation Following Total Knee Replacement (2015)
- The Benefits of a Self-Management Telephone Based Intervention for Promoting Exercise and Healing Rates for Venous Leg Ulcer Patients (2015)
- Malnutrition in Parkinson's disease and an individualised approach to its management (2013)
- :Effects of Enhanced Somatosensory Information on Postural Stability in Older People and People with Parkinson's Disease (2012)
- The Neuro-muscular and Musculo-skeletal Characterization of Children with Joint Hypermobility (2009)
- Aerobic fitness, physical function and falls among older people: a prospective study (2008)
- Exercise, Training and Adaptation in Peripheral Arterial Occlusive Disease (2003)