- Professor Guy Gable
Science and Engineering Faculty,
School of Information Systems
- Discipline *
- Information Systems
- +61 404 096 411
- View location details (QUT staff and student access only)
- Identifiers and profiles
PhD (University of Bradford), MBA (University of Western Ontario), BCom (University of Alberta)
Business value of IT, Enterprise Systems (ERP) management, IT consultant management, IT evaluation, Research Systems, Information systems evaluation, Information systems management, Research Methodology, Research Project Management, Research Training
Professor Guy G. Gable (Ph.D.Bradford, MBA Ivey, B.Comm. Alberta) heads the Research-Systems Research Programme http://www.methodsthinking.com/, Information Systems School, Queensland University of Technology (QUT), Australia. He migrated from Canada (Arthur Young) to Sydney Australia (PWC) 1983, joined National University of Singapore 1986, then QUT 1994.
His practice-inspired thesis (1stprize ICIS’92) “IS Consultant Engagement Success” and preoccupation with conceptualisation and measurement, spawned exploration of Enterprise Systems (ES) issues & impacts and knowledge management for ES success, engendering a focus on IS evaluation. He brought to academe early recognition of the importance of package software and mid-90s spearheaded international research attention to ES. His early collaborative research with SAP spawned at QUT the 4th SAP university application hosting centre.
His intrigue with ‘things methodological’ already apparent at PWC, was evidenced early in academe, culminating in his 2015 Australian Research Council (ARC) Discovery grant “Towards Engineering Behavioural Research Design Systems,” a meta-view of research methods as designed artefacts. An evangelist of research training strategy, he’s presented across Pacific-Asia. A fervent proponent of IS doctoral consortia, 2015 he led the CAIS report “The Role of the Doctoral Consortium” which represents doctoral consortia as unique to IS – a signature pedagogy.
He’s been instrumental in growing IS research capacity in Pacific-Asia, having supervised 26 PhDs now pursuing successful academic careers in Australia, Singapore, Taiwan, Malaysia, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia and China (and USA), including two ACPHIS Thesis Medallists. Amongst the most successful IS Australian Academics with ARC grant scheme, he’s attracted several million $AUD.
He’s championed IS/AIS in Pacific-Asia, originated the Asia Pacific Directory of IS (merged 1998 with other world directories as AIS Faculty Directory), brought the 3rd PACIS to QUT, and initiated the 1st PACIS doctoral consortium (1997). A Charter Member, he’s held a range of AIS roles. Senior Editor JSIS (since 2003), he’s served on boards of MISQ, JAIS, EJIS and others. He led the 2003-2006 AIS sponsored study “The Information Systems Academic Discipline in Pacific Asia” (special issue CAIS’07), that spawned a book “The Information Systems Academic Discipline in Australia” (ANUePress’08). 2013 he received the 1st “PACIS Plaque of Appreciation” for lifetime contribution. 2016 he was made a Fellow of the Association for Information Systems.
- Sedera D, Gable G, (2010) Knowledge management competence for enterprise system success, Journal of Strategic Information Systems p296-306
- Gable G, (2010) Strategic information systems research: An archival analysis, The Journal of Strategic Information Systems p3-16
- Gable G, (2009) Evaluating Information Systems, Information Systems Research Frontiers and Directions p209-267
- Farhoomand A, Markus L, Gable G, Khan S, (2005) Managing (e)business transformation : a global perspective
- Gable G, Sedera D, (2009) Formative and reflective measurement and validation mismatch in survey research : an archival analysis of information systems success constructs 1985-2007, Proceedings of the Thirtieth International Conference on Information Systems 2009 p1-11
- Ng S, Gable G, (2010) Maintaining ERP packaged software - A revelatory case study, Journal of Information Technology p65-90
- Gable G, Sedera D, Chan T, (2008) Re-conceptualising Information System Success: The IS-impact measurement model, Journal of the Association of Information Systems p377-408
- Bandara W, Gable G, Rosemann M, (2005) Factors and Measures of Business Process Modelling: Model Building Through a Multiple Case Study, European Journal of Information Systems p347-360
- Klaus H, Rosemann M, Gable G, (2000) What is ERP?, Information Systems Frontiers p141-162
- Gable G, (1996) A Multidimensional Model of client Success when engaging External Consultants, Management Science p1175-1198
For more publications by this staff member, visit QUT ePrints, the University's research repository.
Completed supervisions (Doctorate)
- Exploring the Relationship of Organisational Culture to Enterprise System Success (2008)
- A Conceptual Framework for Information Management: Formation of a Discipline (2007)
- Process Modelling Success Factors and Measures (2007)
- User Empowerment: an enabler of Enterprise Systems Success (2007)
- Enterprise Systems Success: A Measurement Model (2006)
- IT Investment Evaluation and Measurement Methodology: A Case Study and Action Research of the Dimensions and Measures of IT-Business-Value in Financial Institutions (2005)
- A Multi-Methodological Examination of Information and Knowledge Management (IKM) in Business Contexts (2004)
- Generic Attributes of Australian Information Systems Graduates: an Empirical Study (2004)