- Mrs Farzana Jahan
- Postdoctoral Fellow in Data Science (Social Systems)
Faculty of Science,
School of Mathematical Sciences
- +61 410 205 255
- View location details (QUT staff and student access only)
- Identifiers and profiles
- Professional memberships
1. Statistical Society of Australia (SSA)
2. International Biometric Society (IBS)
3. ARC Centre of Excellence of Mathematical and Statistical Frontiers (ACEMS)
4. QUT Centre for Data Science (QUT-CDS)
Currently involved in both research and teaching as a Postdoctoral Research Fellow (Social Systems) in QUT Centre for Data Science and lecturing for the School of Mathematical Sciences at QUT.
Researcher in Statistics and Data Science. Have been doing research involving Statistical modelling and computation with applications to diverse fields such as environment, health, geography and social sciences. Have experience of working in multidisciplinary group. Possess excellent computational, programming, and project management skills. Confident presenter at conferences and have the ability of explaining research output to all levels of audiences, possess great communication skills and got experience in report and proposal writing.
I have also got teaching experience and background. From more than 5 years experience in university teaching and learning, I have developed a strong passion of teaching, communicating with students and helping them engage and actively participate on the voyage of learning. In future, I want to be in a position where I can balance both teaching and research.
1. In Semester 1, 2021, the units allocated for lecturing at QUT:
EUB 256: Exploring, Representing and Interpreting Mathematical Change
EUB355: Uncertain Situations
2. As a Sessional Academic at School of Mathematical Sciences, Science and Engineering Faculty, QUT (February 2019 -November 2020), the units taught:
:SEB 113: Quantitative Methods in Science (tutored workshops and computer labs, sem1, 2 -2019, one lecture in semester 1, 2020)
MXB344: Generalized Linear Models (tutored in sem2, 2019 and semester 1, 2020, lectured week 3-10 in semester 1 2020)
MXN600: Advanced Statistical Data Analysis (tutored & delivered 1 guest lecture in semester 2, 2019, lectured and tutored semester 2, 2020 )
3. As a Lecturer in the department of Applied Statistics in East West University, Dhaka, Bangladesh (September 5, 2013 till August 5, 2017), the courses taught:
AST 201: Probability Distributions and Simulation
AST 202: Sampling Distributions
AST 130: Statistical Computing I (SPSS)
AST 230: Statistical Computing III ( R )
AST 231: Statistical Computing IV (Maple, Minitab and R)
AST 408: Modelling Time Series Data
AST 513: Applied Regression Analysis
STA 101: Introduction to Statistics and Probability
STA 217: Statistics for Business and Economics
STA 208: Statistics for Biologists
STA 102: Statistics and Probability
GEN 225: Demography and Economic Statistics
1. Sessional Academic at School of Mathematical Sciences, Science and Engineering Faculty, QUT
(February 2019 – till present, Sem 1 & 2, 2019, Sem 1, 2020).
2. Casual Professional Staff (Mentor at QUT- FutureLearn online Big Data Analytics courses) at
QUT (July 1, 2018 till December 31, 2018).
3. Lecturer (Full Time, promoted to Senior Lecturer on 2016) in the department of Applied
Statistics in East West University, Dhaka, Bangladesh (September 5, 2013 till August 5,
4. Deputy Sub-Project Manager ( Window 2, Research Project, CP 3293) at World Bank funded,
University Grants Commisssion Bangladesh implemented Higher Education Quality
Enhancement Project (HEQEP).
5. Researcher (Part Time) at Peace Research Institute, Oslo (worked from Bangladesh) (January
2, 2012 till January 2, 2013).
For publications by this staff member, visit QUT ePrints, the University's research repository.
Awards and recognition
- Fellowship of a Learned Academy or Membership of AIATSIS
- Reference year
- Associate Fellow of the Higher Education Academy UK
- Reference year
- Impact and Engagement Award (Team) as a member of ACEMS members of Australian Cancer Atlas team