- Dr Emma Felton
- Adjunct Senior Lecturer
Faculty of CI, Education & Social Justice,
Faculty of CI, Edu & Social Justice,
Office of the Exec Dean, CI, Edu & Soc. Justice
- Discipline *
- Cultural Studies, Communication and Media Studies, Human Geography
- View location details (QUT staff and student access only)
- Identifiers and profiles
PhD (Griffith University), Master of Arts (Griffith University)
Communication, Creative Industries workforce, Urban/Suburban Sociology, Arts education and social inclusion, Online Pedagogies
Emma has wide experience as an educator, researcher and educational manager. She writes and researches primarily about cities from an interdisciplinary and experiential perspective, and has a PhD in urban sociology. Emma currently co-ordinates the Creative Industries Faculty’s Equity program, which involves developing and delivering discipline-based activities to schools, to generate aspiration for university study. She supervises PhD students. She has been the recipient of ALT and Auda grants and project managed & researched on a large ARC grant, Creative Suburbia. She is the editor of Design and Ethics: Reflections on Practice (2012, co-edited with Oksana Zelenko and Suzi Vaughan) Routledge. Other experience includes national leadership roles in online education (2001-2008), lecturer & content developer in media and cultural studies. She has worked as a consultant for SLQ, Health Dept and the RTA. Emma is currently writing a book on contemporary urbanism: Filtered: Coffee, the Cafe and the City (Routledge forthcoming).
Emma currently teaches in the School of Design. She has taught, convened and developed undergraduate courses in the fields of Cultural and Media studies, Cultural Policy and Cultural Industries. She has written Open Universities units in Media Culture. Emma has also run many staff development workshops for academic staff in the pedagogical development of fully online courses at ACU. She has teaching qualifications.
- Felton E, (2014) A/Effective connections: Mobility, technology and well-being, Emotion, Space and Society p9-15
- Collis C, Felton E, Graham P, (2013) Beyond the inner city: Real and imagined places in creative place policy and practice, Creative Industries and Urban Development: Creative Cities in the 21st Century p15-23
- Felton E, (2013) Working in the Australian suburbs: Creative industries workers' adaptation of traditional work spaces, City, Culture and Society p12-20
- Felton E, Zelenko O, Vaughan S, (2012) Design and Ethics: Reflections on Practice, Routledge
- Felton E, (2012) Living with strangers: Urban space, affect and civility, Design and Ethics : Reflections on Practice p129-142
- Felton E, Collis C, Graham P, (2012) Making connections: creative industries networks in outer-suburban locations, Creativity in Peripheral Places: Redefining the Creative Industries p57-70
- Felton E, Collis C, (2012) Creativity and the Australian suburbs: the appeal of suburban localities for the creative industries workforce, Journal of Australian Studies p177-190
- Felton E, (2012) Eat, drink and be civil: Sociability and the cafe, M/C Journal p1-2
- Flew T, Gibson M, Felton E, Collis C, (2012) Creative suburbia : cultural research and suburban geographies [Introduction to Issue], International Journal of Cultural Studies p199-203
- Felton E, (2011) Brisbane: Urban construction, suburban dreaming, M/C Journal p1-8
For more publications by this staff member, visit QUT ePrints, the University's research repository.