- Dr Deepak Dubal
- Senior Lecturer / Future Fellow
Science and Engineering Faculty,
Chemistry, Physics, Mechanical Engineering,
- IHBI Membership
Institute of Health Biomedical Innovation (IHBI),
IHBI Science and Engineering Projects,
IHBI Chem Physics Mech Engineering - IPTM
- +61 7 3138 6736
- View location details (QUT staff and student access only)
- Identifiers and profiles
- Professional memberships
Foreign Young Associate Fellow of Maharashtra Academy of Sciences, India
Member of Editorial board “Scientific Reports” Nature Publishing Group
Member of Editorial board “Electrochemical energy technology” De Gruyder publications
Member of Australian Nanotechnology Network
Member of International Association of Advanced Materials
Member of International Society of electrochemistry (ISE)
e-Member of Royal Society of Chemistry, UK
Dr. Deepak Dubal is Senior Lecturer (Australian Future Fellow) at QUT and has a strong research background in the field of Nano-materials for clean energy conversion and storage systems. Briefly, Deepak’s research interest is focused on designing and engineering of functional materials such as New Oxides/Nitrides, Polyoxometalates (POMs), Conducting polymers and their hybrids for energy storage applications with special emphasis on Supercapacitors, Li-ion batteries, beyond Li-ion batteries etc. At QUT, his research is to develop an integrated system as self-charging power source for wearable electronics and implantable medical devices. Before joining QUT, Deepak worked as Vice Chancellor Fellow at School of Chemical Engineering, University of Adelaide. He is also former recipient of two most prestigious fellowships: Marie-Curie at ICN2, Spain (2014) and Alexander von Humboldt at TUC, Germany (2012). So far, Deepak has co-authored more than 140 research articles including Chem. Soc. Rev., Adv. Mater., Adv. Fun. Mater, Nano Energy, NPG Asia Materials etc. and achieved over 7600 citations, ‘h’ index: 48 and ‘i10’ index 108 (Google Scholar). He has edited one book, contributed several book chapters and filed several patents including World, US, European and Spanish. He has also participated as founding partner of Earthdas graphene mobility spin-off Company, Spain with Prof. Gomez-Romero. His Google Scholar citations is available via the link below https://scholar.google.com.au/citations?user=5RaaXvsAAAAJ&hl=en
At various levels of research career, Dr. Dubal has developed a variety of disciplines and research topics, including thin films, semiconductors, gas sensors, solar cells and very specially energy storage materials and devices. Following are his different research lines of interest
1. Advanced Nano-materials
- Two-dimensional (2D) materials, their hetero-structures and hybrids.
- Synthesis of New Oxides/Nitrides, Nanocarbons (Graphene, CNTs), Polyoxometalates (POMs), Conducting polymers and so on.
- Hybrid Nano-Materials (Nanocarbon/Oxides, Organic-Inorganic Nano-composites such as Polymer/metal oxides and Polymer-Polyoxometalates)
- Metal-Organic-Framework (MOF) derived materials and their nanocomposites.
2. Bio-waste derived Materials
- Turning organic wastes (e.g. Fruit-waste, Winery-waste (Grape-Marc) and all types of agricultural-waste) into value added porous carbon.
- Surface treatments to prepare different types of porous carbons
- Synthesis of carbon quantum dots using Bio-waste materials.
- Novel electrode materials for high power devices
- Electrolytes (Liquid and polymer-based electrolytes)
- Micro-supercapacitors for wearable electronics
- Piezo-Supercapacitors for medical implants
- Electrochemical Flow Capacitors for large scale applications
4. Li-Ion Battery Technology
- Engineering of nanostructured anode and cathode materials
- Development of high energy density and fast charging battery materials
- Computational Chemistry to uncover the charge-storing mechanism
- In-situ and In-operando techniques for battery materials characterizations
- Li-S battery: High ionic conductivity solid-polymer electrolytes
- Li-S battery: Designing new porous carbon hosts to accommodate Sulfur
5. Hybrid Devices (Unique Cell Configurations)
- Asymmetric Supercapacitors (ASC)-Aqueous system
- Hybrid Supercapacitors (HSC)-Aqueous system
- Lithium Ion Capacitor (LIC)-Non-aqueous system
6. Beyond Li-ion Battery
- Developing materials for Potassium Ion Battery (KIB)
- Fabrication of cathode materials for Aluminium Ion Battery (AIB)
- Investigating new battery technologies such as K-S
- Potassium Ion Capacitor (LIC)-Non-aqueous system
Awards and Recognition
- 2019 Conference Ambassador of 20th IUMRS-ICA, 22-26 September 2019
- 2019 Award of Australian Future Fellowship, QUT, Australia
- 2018 Elected as Foreign Young Associate Fellow of Maharashtra Academy of Sciences, India
- 2017 Nominated in top Four Young Scientists for USERN Prize in Physical Sciences around the world
- 2017 Award of Vice Chancellor Fellowship, University of Adelaide, Australia
- 2014 CEMAM Prize for Best Poster in International conference, Grenoble, France, (MAT4ENERGY)
- 2014 Award of Marie-Curie Fellowship, ICN2, Barcelona, Spain
- 2013 Award of Nobel Laureate Meeting 2013, Lindau, Germany
- 2012 Award of Alexander von Humboldt Fellowship, Germany
- 2010 Award of Senior Research Fellow, CSIR, New Delhi, India
- 2009 Award of Project Fellow, UGC, New Delhi, India
Jul. 2010-Oct. 2010: Teaching exercise “Physical properties of solids” to Master students (M.Sc.-2)
Jul. 2008-Apr. 2009: Teaching exercise for Under Graduate students at Vijaysinh Yadav, College
- 3620_CHEM_ENG_7046- Masters Project (Semesters 1 & 2) (2018)
- 3710_CHEM_ENG_4056- Honour Research Practice (Semester 1) (2017)
- 3820_CHEM_ENG_4054- Honour Research Practice (Semester 2) (2017)
April 2019- Presents: Senior Lecturer (ARC Future Fellow), Science and Engineering Faculty, Queensland University of Technology (QUT), Australia.
2017-2019: Vice Chancellor Fellow, School of Chemical Engineering, University of Adelaide (UoA), Australia.
2016-2017: Senior Post-Doctoral Fellow, Catalan Institute of Nanoscience and Nanotechnology, ICN2, Barcelona, Spain.
2014-2016: Marie-Curie Fellow, Catalan Institute of Nanoscience and Nanotechnology, Barcelona, Spain.
2011-2013: Alexander von Humboldt, Technische Universität Chemnitz (TUC), Germany.
2011-2011: Post-Doctoral Fellow, Gwangju institute of science and technology (GIST), Gwangju, South Korea.
2011: Ph. D. in Physics, Shivaji University, Kolhapur (M.S.), India.
2008: M. Sc. in Physics (First class with Distinction), Shivaji University, Kolhapur (M.S.), India
2006: B. Sc. in Physics (First class with Distinction), Shivaji University, Kolhapur (M.S.), India
- Dubal D, Jayaramulu K, Sunil J, Kment S, Gomez-Romero P, Narayana C, Zboril R, Fischer RA, (2019) Metal-organic framework (MOF) derived electrodes with robust and fast lithium storage for Li-ion hybrid capacitors, Advanced Functional Materials p1-11
- Dubal D, Abdel-Azeim S, Chodankar NR, Han Y, (2019) Molybdenum nitride nanocrystals anchored on phosphorus-incorporated carbon fabric as a negative electrode for high-performance asymmetric pseudocapacitor, iScience p50-62
- Dubal D, Chodankar NR, Qiao S, (2019) Tungsten nitride nanodots embedded phosphorous modified carbon fabric as flexible and robust electrode for asymmetric pseudocapacitor, Small p1-9
- Dubal D, Chodankar NR, Kim D, Gomez-Romero P, (2018) Towards flexible solid-state supercapacitors for smart and wearable electronics, Chemical Society Reviews p2065-2129
- Jayaramulu K, Dubal D, Nagar B, Ranc V, Tomanec O, Petr M, Ramanatha Datta K, Zboril R, Gomez-Romero P, Fischer RA, (2018) Ultrathin hierarchical porous carbon nanosheets for high-performance supercapacitors and redox electrolyte energy storage, Advanced Materials p1-9
- Dubal D, Ballesteros B, Mohite AA, Gomez-Romero P, (2017) Functionalization of polypyrrole nanopipes with redox-active polyoxometalates for high energy density supercapacitors, ChemSusChem p731-737
- Dubal D, Chodankar NR, Holze R, Kim D, Gomez-Romero P, (2017) Ultrathin mesoporous RuCo2O4 nanoflakes: An advanced electrode for high-performance asymmetric supercapacitors, ChemSusChem p1771-1782
- Dubal D, Suarez-Guevara J, Tonti D, Enciso E, Gomez-Romero P, (2015) A high voltage solid state symmetric supercapacitor based on graphene-polyoxometalate hybrid electrodes with a hydroquinone doped hybrid gel-electrolyte, Journal of Materials Chemistry A p23483-23492
- Dubal D, Ayyad O, Ruiz V, Gomez-Romero P, (2015) Hybrid energy storage: the merging of battery and supercapacitor chemistries, Chemical Society Reviews p1777-1790
- Dubal D, Gomez-Romero P, Sankapal BR, Holze R, (2015) Nickel cobaltite as an emerging material for supercapacitors: An overview, Nano Energy p377-399
- Graphene- based materials for Li- ion Capacitors (LICs)
PhD, Associate Supervisor
Other supervisors: Professor Nunzio Motta, Associate Professor Jennifer MacLeod
- Hydrolysis of Cellulose to Value?added Cello Oligomers via Selective Depolymerisation of Plasma treated Lignocellulosic Biomass using Novel Magnetically Separable Nano-Catalysts
PhD, Associate Supervisor
Other supervisors: Professor Ken Ostrikov, Professor William Doherty, Dr Luqman Atanda