- Dr Daniel McKewen
- Lecturer - Media Arts
Creative Industries Faculty,
School of Creative Practice,
- Discipline *
- Visual Arts and Crafts
- View location details (QUT staff and student access only)
- Identifiers and profiles
PhD (Queensland University of Technology)
- Professional memberships
Art Association of Australia and New Zealand (AAANZ)
National Association for the Visual Arts (NAVA) (Professional member)
Institute of Modern Art (Member)
art, digital media, video, screen culture, creative practice, popular culture, fandom, installation
Dr Daniel McKewen is a Lecturer in Visual Arts at QUT where he teaches Digital Media and Studio Practice units. He is also a visual artist whose practice investigates the intersections of contemporary art, popular culture, and the entertainment and financial industries. In 2013 he was awarded his Doctorate of Philosophy from QUT for his thesis The Art of Being a Fan: Complicity and Criticality in Contemporary Art and Fandom. His artwork has been exhibited nationally and internationally since 2006, and is held in public and private collections. Daniel is a founding member and serves on the board of Boxcopy a contemporary art space which provides exhibition opportunities and support for emerging artists, writers and curators. Daniel also serves on the board of Metro Arts. His artwork is represented by Milani Gallery, Brisbane.
Daniel coordinates Digital Media as well as teaching into Visual Arts Foundation and all years of Studio Art Practice. In 2012, he received a Vice-Chancellors Performance Fund award for his teaching.
Daniel’s artwork has been included in numerous exhibitions both nationally and internationally including You Imagine What You Desire, the 19th Biennale of Sydney; and Australian Centre for Contemporary Art in Melbourne. He is also a founding member and serves on the board of Boxcopy a contemporary art space which provides exhibition opportunities and support for emerging artists, writers and curators. Daniel also serves on the board of Metro Arts. He received an Australia Council New Work grant in 2013, and an Australia Council Project grant in 2015. His artwork is represented by Milani Gallery, Brisbane.
- Mckewen D, (2014) Running Men, 19th Biennale of Sydney, Carriageworks; 21 March - 9 June 2014
- McKewen DL, (2014) Zarathustra's Cave, Australian Centre for Contemporary Art, Melbourne; 15 March - 18 May 2014
- McKewen DL, (2014) Animal spirits, Milani Gallery, Brisbane, 13 - 29 November 2014
- McKewen DL, (2014) Dialog, Campbelltown Arts Centre, Campbelltown, 9 August - 12 October 2014
- McKewen DL, (2014) Trickle down, Milani Gallery, Brisbane, 13 - 29 November 2014
- McKewen DL, (2014) A stunning experience, Griffith University Art Gallery, Brisbane; 01 August - 20 September 2014
- McKewen DL, (2014) Spectral Values, Milani Gallery, Brisbane,13 - 29 November 2014
- McKewen DL, (2014) Kafka on the shore, Milani Gallery, Brisbane, 13 - 29 November 2014
- Mckewen D, (2013) Every face on Vanity Fair's Hollywood covers 1995-2008, Garis and Hahn Gallery, New York City, 8 May - 15 July 2013
- Mckewen DL, (2012) Conditions of compromise and failure (The Dickensian Aspect), 'SafARI 2012', The Rocks pop-up, Sydney, 22 June - 15 July 2012
For more publications by this staff member, visit QUT ePrints, the University's research repository.