- Dr David Marshall
- Research Infrastructure Specialist (Molecular Mass Spectrometry)
Institute for Future Environments,
IFE Central Analytical Research Facility
- Discipline *
- Analytical Chemistry, Physical Chemistry (incl. Structural), Other Chemical Sciences
- +61 7 3138 3340
- View location details (QUT staff and student access only)
- Identifiers and profiles
PhD (University of Wollongong), Bachelor in Nanotechnology (Adv) (University of Wollongong)
- Professional memberships
Mass spectrometry, Ion chemistry & spectroscopy, Lipidomics, Ozone-induced dissociation, Free radicals
Dr David Marshall completed his PhD (2014) under the supervision of Dr Philip Barker and Professor Stephen Blanksby at the University of Wollongong, studying the fate of radical-scavenging antioxidants in the preservation of painted steel rooftops.
David joined QUT in 2014 as a Postdoctoral Fellow and played a key role in establishing the new Mass Spectrometry Development (MSD) Laboratory within the Central Analytical Research Facility (CARF). David now manages the daily running of the CARF MSD Laboratory, including training users, servicing instrumentation, maintaining a safe workplace, and ensuring the acquisition of high quality mass spectrometry data across a variety of applications for the benefit of clients both within, and external to QUT.
In partnership with local, national, and international collaborative partners, David maintains a keen research interest in fundamental ion chemistry and spectroscopy to determine the structure, energetics and reactivity of gas-phase ions. Moreover, David is interested in the application of these techniques to structure elucidation of synthetic and biological molecules such as lipids, polymers, and supramolecular complexes.
- Marshall DL, Criscuolo A, Young RS, Poad BL, Zeller M, Reid GE, Mitchell TW, Blanksby SJ, (2019) Mapping unsaturation in human plasma lipids by data-independent ozone-induced dissociation, Journal of The American Society for Mass Spectrometry p1621-1630
- Narreddula V, Boase N, Ailuri R, Marshall DL, Poad BL, Kelso MJ, Trevitt AJ, Mitchell TW, Blanksby SJ, (2019) Introduction of a fixed-charge, photolabile derivative for enhanced structural elucidation of fatty acids, Analytical Chemistry p9901-9909
- Marshall DL, Gryn'ova G, Poad BL, Bottle S, Trevitt AJ, Coote ML, Blanksby SJ, (2019) Experimental evidence for long-range stabilizing and destabilizing interactions between charge and radical sites in distonic ions, International Journal of Mass Spectrometry p195-203
- Paine MR, Poad BL, Eijkel GB, Marshall DL, Blanksby SJ, Heeren RM, Ellis SR, (2018) Mass spectrometry imaging with isomeric resolution enabled by ozone-induced dissociation, Angewandte Chemie (International Edition) p10524-10530
- Hancock SE, Ailuri R, Marshall DL, Brown SH, Saville JT, Narreddula V, Boase N, Poad BL, Trevitt AJ, Willcox MD, Kelso MJ, Mitchell TW, Blanksby SJ, (2018) Mass spectrometry-directed structure elucidation and total synthesis of ultra-long chain (O-acyl)-omega-hydroxy fatty acids, Journal of Lipid Research p1510-1518
- Tuten B, Bloesser F, Marshall DL, Michalek L, Schmitt C, Blanksby SJ, Barner-Kowollik CW, (2018) Polyselenoureas via multicomponent polymerizations using elemental selenium as monomer, ACS Macro Letters p898-903
- Williams PE, Marshall DL, Poad BL, Narreddula V, Kirk BB, Trevitt AJ, Blanksby SJ, (2018) Comparing positively and negatively charged distonic radical ions in phenylperoxyl forming reactions, Journal of The American Society for Mass Spectrometry p1848-1860
- Hood S, Peter T, Blanksby SJ, Marshall DL, (2018) Forensic analysis of water-based lubricants using liquid extraction surface analysis high-resolution tandem mass spectrometry, Rapid Communications in Mass Spectrometry p1629-1636
- Marshall DL, Pham HT, Bhujel M, Chin JS, Yew JY, Kenji M, Mitchell TW, Blanksby SJ, (2016) Sequential collision- and ozone-induced dissociation enables assignment of relative acyl chain position in triacylglycerols, Analytical Chemistry p2685-2692
- Gryn'ova G, Marshall D, Blanksby S, Coote ML, (2013) Switching radical stability by pH-induced orbital conversion, Nature Chemistry p474-481
For more publications by this staff member, visit QUT ePrints, the University's research repository.