- Dr David Marshall
- Research Infrastructure Specialist (Molecular Mass Spectrometry)
Institute for Future Environments,
IFE Central Analytical Research Facility
- Discipline *
- Analytical Chemistry, Physical Chemistry (incl. Structural), Other Chemical Sciences
- +61 7 3138 3340
- View location details (QUT staff and student access only)
- Identifiers and profiles
PhD (University of Wollongong), Bachelor in Nanotechnology (Adv) (University of Wollongong)
- Professional memberships
Mass spectrometry, Ion chemistry & spectroscopy, Lipidomics, Ozone-induced dissociation, Free radicals
Dr David Marshall completed his PhD (2014) under the supervision of Dr Philip Barker and Professor Stephen Blanksby at the University of Wollongong, studying the fate of radical-scavenging antioxidants in the preservation of painted steel rooftops. David joined QUT in 2014 as a Postdoctoral Fellow and played a key role in establishing the new Mass Spectrometry Development (MSD) Laboratory within the Central Analytical Research Facility (CARF). Now a Research Infrastructure Specialist, David is committed to developing cutting-edge mass spectrometry methods to support QUT researchers and external clients.
Applying strategic and technical expertise in molecular mass spectrometry, David empowers HDR end-users through collaborative project development and tailored instrument training, ensuring the acquisition of high-quality data to strengthen research outputs. Evaluating user requirements and technological developments, David is also responsible for managing current instrumentation operations and contributing to future innovative advances in mass spectrometry at QUT.
In partnership with local and international collaborators, David maintains a keen research interest in fundamental ion chemistry and spectroscopy to determine the structure, energetics, and reactivity of gaseous ions. Moreover, David is interested in applying these techniques to structure elucidation of synthetic and biological materials such as lipids, polymers, and molecular machinery.
- Bhujel M, Marshall D, Maccarone A, McKinnon B, Trevitt A, da Silva G, Blanksby S, Poad B, (2020) Gas phase reactions of iodide and bromide anions with ozone: Evidence for stepwise and reversible reactions, Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics p9982-9989
- Hamilton B, Marshall D, Casewell N, Harrison R, Blanksby S, Undheim E, (2020) Mapping enzyme activity on tissue by functional-mass spectrometry imaging, Angewandte Chemie - International Edition p3855-3858
- Martínez-Montañés F, Casanovas A, Sprenger R, Topolska M, Marshall D, Moreno-Torres M, Poad B, Blanksby S, Hermansson M, Jensen O, Ejsing C, (2020) Phosphoproteomic analysis across the yeast life cycle reveals control of fatty Acyl chain length by phosphorylation of the fatty acid synthase complex, Cell Reports
- Marshall D, Criscuolo A, Young R, Poad B, Zeller M, Reid G, Mitchell T, Blanksby S, (2019) Mapping unsaturation in human plasma lipids by data-independent ozone-induced dissociation, Journal of the American Society for Mass Spectrometry p1621-1630
- Narreddula V, Boase N, Ailuri R, Marshall D, Poad B, Kelso M, Trevitt A, Mitchell T, Blanksby S, (2019) Introduction of a fixed-charge, photolabile derivative for enhanced structural elucidation of fatty acids, Analytical Chemistry p9901-9909
- Poad B, Marshall D, Harazim E, Gupta R, Narreddula V, Young R, Duchoslav E, Campbell J, Broadbent J, Cvacka J, Mitchell T, Blanksby S, (2019) Combining charge-switch derivatization with ozone-induced dissociation for fatty acid analysis, Journal of the American Society for Mass Spectrometry p2135-2143
- Paine M, Poad B, Eijkel G, Marshall D, Blanksby S, Heeren R, Ellis S, (2018) Mass spectrometry imaging with isomeric resolution enabled by ozone-induced dissociation, Angewandte Chemie (International Edition) p10524-10530
- Hancock S, Ailuri R, Marshall D, Brown S, Saville J, Narreddula V, Boase N, Poad B, Trevitt A, Willcox M, Kelso M, Mitchell T, Blanksby S, (2018) Mass spectrometry-directed structure elucidation and total synthesis of ultra-long chain (O-acyl)-¿-hydroxy fatty acids., Journal of Lipid Research p1510-1518
- Tuten B, Bloesser F, Marshall D, Michalek L, Schmitt C, Blanksby S, Barner-Kowollik C, (2018) Polyselenoureas via multicomponent polymerizations using elemental selenium as monomer, ACS Macro Letters p898-903
- Gryn'ova G, Marshall D, Blanksby S, Coote M, (2013) Switching radical stability by pH-induced orbital conversion, Nature Chemistry p474-481
For more publications by this staff member, visit QUT ePrints, the University's research repository.