- Dr Catherine Brown
Faculty of Law,
- Discipline *
- +61 7 3138 5207
- View location details (QUT staff and student access only)
- Identifiers and profiles
Professtional Doctorate (Queensland University of Technology), Master of Laws (Queensland University of Technology), Bachelor of Laws (Southern Cross University), Bachelor of Business (Honours) (Southern Cross University)
- Professional memberships
Certified Practising Accountant – CPA Australia
Chartered Tax Advisor (CTA) – Tax Institute of Australia
Academic member of INSOL and Australian Restructuring Insolvency & Turnaround Association (ARITA)
Corporate governance, Insolvency law, Taxation law, CPLRC
Catherine Brown is a Lecturer in the Faculty of Law at QUT. Catherine lectures in a number of areas, including insolvency and corporate law, taxation and real property.
Catherine’s current research interests include
- the intersection of insolvency and taxation laws
- insolvency and bankruptcy law
- impact of technology on the legal profession
- scholarship of legal education
Catherine has had extensive experience with the Queensland and NSW government sectors, as an accountant and policy advisor. She also has experience in the private sector, predominately in the area of taxation law.
Catherine has previously held an lecturer positions with the Southern Cross University Law School and Griffith Business School.
Catherine is a member of the Commercial and Property Law Research Centre (CPLRC) at QUT.
Units Currently Taught
- LLH474 Insolvency Law
- LLB301 Real Property Law
- LWN601 Professional Project in Law
- LLB305 Corporate Law
- Butler DA, Coe SM, Field R, McNamara J, Kift S, Brown C, (2017) Embodying life-long learning: Transition and capstone experiences, Oxford Review of Education p194-208
- Dickfos J, Brown C, Bettles J, (2017) Superannuation and bankruptcy: Is there a mid-life crisis looming?, QUT Law Review p114-126
- Anderson C, Dickfos J, Brown C, (2016) The Australian Taxation Office - what role does it play in anti-phoenix activity?, Insolvency Law Journal p127-140
- Anderson C, Brown C, (2014) Mind the insolvency gap: Lessons to be learned from audit expectations gap theory, Insolvency Law Journal p178-191
- Anderson C, Brown C, (2013) Demanding a change: Time to act on statutory demands, Insolvency Law Journal p97-108
- Kift SM, Butler DA, Field RM, McNamara J, Brown C, Treloar CM, (2013) Curriculum renewal in legal education: Final Report 2013, http://www.olt.gov.au/system/files/resources/PP9-1374_Kift_Report_2013_1.pdf p1-143
- Kobetsky M, O'Connell A, Brown C, Fisher R, Peacock C, (2012) Income Tax : Text, Materials and Essential Cases [8th ed.]
- McNamara J, Kift SM, Butler D, Field R, Brown C, Gamble N, (2012) Work-integrated learning as a component of the capstone experience in undergraduate law, Asia-Pacific Journal of Cooperative Education p1-12
- Brown C, Anderson C, Morrison D, (2011) The certainty of tax in insolvency: Where does the ATO fit?, Insolvency Law Journal p108-122
- McNamara J, Brown C, (2009) Assessment of online discussion in work-integrated learning, Campus Wide Information Systems p413-423
For more publications by this staff member, visit QUT ePrints, the University's research repository.