- Adjunct Professor Carmel Diezmann
- Adjunct Professor
Faculty of Education,
Office of Education Research
- Discipline *
- Curriculum and Pedagogy, Education Systems, Specialist Studies in Education
- +61 418 643 652
- View location details (QUT staff and student access only)
PhD (Queensland University of Technology), MEd(Higher Ed), MEd (Queensland University of Technology), BEd (North Brisbane C.A.E.), Dip Teach (North Brisbane C.A.E.)
- Professional memberships
- American Educational Research Association (AERA)
- Australian Association of Research in Education (AARE)
- International group for the Psychology of Mathematics Education (PME)
- Mathematics Education Research Group of Australasia MERGA)
- National Association of Research in Science Teaching (NARST)
assessment and evaluation, creativity, diagrams in mathematics, early childhood and primary mathematics, early childhood and primary science, gifted children, graphics, higher education, professional development, teacher education
Professor Diezmann is particularly interested in the cognition and creativity of individuals and groups in a broad range of educational contexts. Her research includes the learning and achievement of academics, teachers, and higher degree students; the role of information graphics in mathematics instruction, investigations and assessment; curriculum innovation and assessment in mathematics and science education; and the education of gifted individuals.
In tandem with her research, Professor Diezmann is highly engaged in professional development programs in schools and in the production of quality teaching resources. She has an extensive list of publications and has received numerous educational awards including two QUT Awards for Outstanding Academic Contribution (1999, Professional Leadership; 2003, Research and Scholarship).
Teaching areas: Early childhood and primary mathematics and science education, Research methods.
- Diezmann CM, (2008) On the spot assessments, Teaching Children Mathematics p290-294
- Diezmann CM, (2008) Exceptional creators to the world of children: Investigating children's authors., The Journal of Creative Behavior p1-12
- Diezmann CM, Lowrie TJ, (2008) Assessing primary students' knowledge of maps, Proceedings of the Joint Meeting of PME 32 and PME-NA XXX p415-421
- Irons RR, Diezmann CM, (2008) Mathematics for young minds: Space and shape
- Lowrie TJ, Diezmann CM, (2007) Middle school students' interpretation of graphing tasks: Difficulties within a graphical language, Proceedings of the 4th East Asia Regional Conference on Mathematics Education 2007 p611-617
- Diezmann CM, Lowrie TJ, (2008) The role of information graphics in mathematical proficiency, Proceedings of the 31st Annual Conference of the Mathematics Education Research Group of Australasia p647-650
- Diezmann CM, (2008) Graphics and the national numeracy test, Proceedings of the 31st Annual Conference of the Mathematics Education Research Group of Australasia p659-662
- Diezmann CM, Fox JL, de Vries EB, Siemon DE, Norris G, (2007) Investigating the Learning of a Professional Development Team: The Years 1-3 Mathematics Probes Project, Mathematics Teacher Education and Development p94-116
- Diezmann CM, (2007) The Relationship Between TAFE Level Qualifications and Staff Recruitment in Australian Industries, Educational Practice and Theory p93-110
- Diezmann CM, Lowrie TJ, Kozak NP, (2007) Essential Differences between High and Low Performers' Thinking about Graphically-Orientated Numeracy Items, Mathematics: Essential Research, Essential Practice Volume 1 p226-235
For more publications by this staff member, visit QUT ePrints, the University's research repository.