- Dr Bree Hurst
- Senior Lecturer
Faculty of Business & Law,
School of Advertising, Marketing & PR
- Discipline *
- Business and Management, Marketing
- +61 7 3138 2777
- View location details (QUT staff and student access only)
- Identifiers and profiles
Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) (Queensland University of Technology), Bachelor of Business (Honours) (Queensland University of Technology), Bachelor of Business (Public Relations) (Queensland University of Technology)
- Professional memberships
Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
Member – Public Relations Division, International Communication Association
Public relations, Corporate social responsibility, Sustainable governance, Communication, Institutional theory, Legitimacy, Rhetoric, Qualitative research
Dr Bree Hurst is a Senior Lecturer at the QUT Business School. She has a PhD in corporate social responsibility and organisational communication.
Her research in corporate responsibility, social licence to operate, and food waste is critical in a world where organisations need to be held accountable for their impacts on communities, society and the environment. Her research recommends organisations take a whole of system view to engage with stakeholders, move beyond a narrow focus on profits and legal requirements, and critically examine their social and environmental impacts.
Bree has had her work published in a number of academic journals and books, including the the Journal of Business Ethics (Financial Times Top 50 journal) and awarding winning handbooks, Handbook of Communication and Corporate Social Responsibility and Handbook of Communication Engagement. She has received over $400K in research funding in food waste, agriculture and mining and has co-edited a special issue on social licence to operate, social impact, and engagement in Public Relations Review. Bree has also been invited to present at industry seminars as an expert on social licence to operate and social impact, including at the 2019 London Benchmarking Group’s Social Impact Conference, and to the Queensland Social Responsibility Network.
Bree is program leader of the Responsible Governance research program within the Centre for Decent Work & Industry, and is the alternative program leader for the Agrifood Systems research program within the Centre for Agriculture and the Bioeconomy.
- Corporate social responsibility
- Food waste
- Social licence to operate
- Social impact
- Stakeholder engagement
- Organisational communication
- Public relations management
- Public relations planning
- Media relations
- Corporate social responsibility/sustainability
- Corporate communication
- Hurst B, (2016) Half-truths and dirty secrets: Omissions in CSR communication, Public Relations Review p226-228
- Hurst B, Lane A, (2014) Communicating engagement in corporate social responsibility: A meta-level construal of engagement, Journal of Public Relations Research p436-454
- Bartlett J, Devin B, (2011) Management, communication, and corporate social responsibility, The Handbook of Communication and Corporate Social Responsibility p47-66
- Devin B, Bartlett J, (2009) The challenge of greenwash: how practitioners should communicate discretionary CSR practices, Asia Pacific Public Relations Journal p79-94
For more publications by this staff member, visit QUT ePrints, the University's research repository.