- Dr Bree Hurst
- Senior Lecturer
Faculty of Business & Law,
School of Advertising, Marketing & PR
- Discipline *
- Business and Management, Marketing
- +61 7 3138 2777
- View location details (QUT staff and student access only)
- Identifiers and profiles
Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) (Queensland University of Technology), Bachelor of Business (Honours) (Queensland University of Technology), Bachelor of Business (Public Relations) (Queensland University of Technology)
- Professional memberships
Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
Member – Public Relations Division, International Communication Association
Public relations, Corporate social responsibility, Sustainable governance, Communication, Institutional theory, Legitimacy, Rhetoric, Qualitative research
Dr Bree Hurst is a Senior Lecturer at the QUT Business School. She has a PhD in corporate social responsibility and organisational communication. Bree’s ongoing research seeks to provide rich insights into how organisations can address the complex task of managing their impacts on communities, society, and the environment. Her research is largely centred around the interrelated topics of social license to operate, social impact, corporate social responsibility, stakeholder engagement, and organisational communication.
Bree has had her work published in a number of academic journals and books, including the the Journal of Business Ethics (Financial Times Top 50 journal) and awarding winning handbooks, Handbook of Communication and Corporate Social Responsibility and Handbook of Communication Engagement. She has received over $400K in research funding in the areas of social impact and social license to operate and is currently co-editing a special issue on social license to operate, social impact, and engagement in Public Relations Review. Bree has also been invited to present at industry seminars as an expert on social license to operate and social impact, including at the 2019 London Benchmarking Group’s Social Impact Conference, and to the Queensland Social Responsibility Network.
Bree is currently a member of the Centre for Decent Work & Industry, which is a group of multidisciplinary researchers that address complex problems in organisational settings in order to advance social justice goals. The group has particular expertise around:
- responsible governance, including the politics of fossil fuels, agribusiness futures and corporate social responsibility; and
- sustainable transitions, including precarious and unpaid work, skill development, and workforce futures, labour mobility and accessibility.
- Public relations management
- Public relations planning
- Media relations
- Corporate social responsibility/sustainability
- Corporate communication
- Hurst B, (2016) Half-truths and dirty secrets: Omissions in CSR communication, Public Relations Review p226-228
- Hurst B, Lane A, (2014) Communicating engagement in corporate social responsibility: A meta-level construal of engagement, Journal of Public Relations Research p436-454
- Bartlett J, Devin B, (2011) Management, communication, and corporate social responsibility, The Handbook of Communication and Corporate Social Responsibility p47-66
- Devin B, Bartlett J, (2009) The challenge of greenwash: how practitioners should communicate discretionary CSR practices, Asia Pacific Public Relations Journal p79-94
For more publications by this staff member, visit QUT ePrints, the University's research repository.