- Adjunct Associate Professor Luisa Bravo
- Adjunct Associate Professor
Creative Industries Faculty,
School of Design Office,
- Discipline *
- +61 7 3138 7657
- View location details (QUT staff and student access only)
- Identifiers and profiles
Luisa Bravo holds a MSc five-year degree in Architectural Engineering, University of Bologna (Italy, 2001) – marks 100/100 – and a Ph.D. in Building and Territorial Engineering, University of Bologna (Italy, 2008), with a thesis on Contemporary Urbanism. She received her education also in France (1996), at CEPIA – Centre d’Etudes sur le patrimonie et l’Italianitè en Architecture, supported by Conseil General de la Loire Atlantique – Direction du Development educatif, culturel et des transports, and in UK, at the Prince of Wales’s Institute of Architecture, in the frame of the Urban Design Task Force in Lebanon (1997). Since 2002 Luisa is a registered Architectural Engineer in Italy. After four years (2001-2005) of professional practice at “Studio Enarco” (Bologna, Italy), as a Project Manager for new public buildings and infrastructures, in 2005 she founded her own firm Bravo Design in Bologna, where she currently works. After completing her PhD (2008), Luisa was appointed as Research Fellow for a National Research Program funded by the Italian Ministry of University, Research and Education, at University of Bologna, where she then served as Postdoctoral Research Associate at the Department of Architecture (2009-2014). Over the past ten years Luisa held several positions in different Universities, in Italy and abroad: Instructor for Academic Internship Program at SiLAB – Laboratory for Advanced Modeling and Prototyping, University of Bologna, School of Engineering and Architecture, in the field of urban representation and design communication (2011-2014), Visiting critic and Lecturer for urban history of Italian cities at the Direct Studies Abroad Master Program promoted by Azrieli School of Architecture & Urbanism, Carleton University (Ottawa, Canada, 2011-2012), Visiting Scholar at IURD – Institute of Urban and Regional Development, University of California Berkeley (USA, 2012), Adjunct Professor at University of Florence in Urban Planning and Design at the School of Architecture (since 2013), Guest Lecturer at The Chinese University of Hong Kong, School of Architecture (2014), Lecturer of Architecture and Landscape at University of Parma, at the International Master Program in Architecture (2014-2015), Visiting Assistant Professor at the Lebanese American University, School of Architecture and Design (Beirut/Byblos, 2015), Guest Lecturer at co+labo, Keio University (Tokyo, Japan, 2015). Luisa has been devoting her academic pursuits to understanding the complexity of the contemporary city, specifically through the study of public space. Her expertise is grounded in extensive research and teaching activities in Europe, the United States, Lebanon, Asia and Australia. Her cross-disciplinary investigation has been recognized as innovative and meaningful and strategically connected to contemporary issues, able to offer a more rounded and dynamic understanding of public space, spanning academia, industry, professional practice and NGOs. Luisa is the Founding Member and President of City Space Architecture, a non profit organization based in Bologna (Italy), aimed at promoting public space culture, involving art and architecture. City Space Architecture works as an international multidisciplinary research platform, focused on cities, urbanity and public space, involving scholars, professionals, city managers, artists and designers, photographers and film-makers. City Space Architecture is partner of UN-Habitat’s Global Public Space Programme and since 2016 it has been included in the United Nations Department of Economic and Social Affairs’ Civil Society database and in the United Nations General Assembly of Partners (GAP), Research and Academia Partner Constituent Group. Luisa is the Chair of the “Past Present and Future of Public Space. International Conference on Art, Architecture and Urban Design”, held in Bologna (2014) and Venice (2016) and she is currently coordinating “MaPS. Mastering Public Space”, a collaborative research network on cities and urbanity, “Pop-up City”, a photography research project on instant urbanity and “Urban Visions. Beyond the Ideal City”, a cinematography competition for short films.All these projects are promoted by City Space Architecture. Luisa is the Founding Editor and Journal Manager of The Journal of Public Space, the first, international, interdisciplinary, academic, open access journal entirely dedicated to public space, a joint effort of City Space Architecture and the Queensland University of Technology, in partnership with UN-Habitat, the United Nations Human Settlements Programme. The journal was launched in 2016 at Habitat III, the United Nations conference on Housing and Sustainable Urban Development, held in Quito (Ecuador). After being selected and invited to attend the 26th UN-Habitat Governing Council in Nairobi (May 2017) and the High Level Meeting of the General Assembly of the United Nations in New York (September 2017), Luisa was also engaged in multiple events at the 9th World Urban Forum in Kuala Lumpur (February 2018), for the implementation of the New Urban Agenda adopted in Quito. Luisa’s lecture ‘Stand up for Public Space!’ has been included in 2017 in the UN-Habitat Global Urban Lectures series, one of the UN-Habitat’s most publicly shared online outreach initiatives. ‘Stand up for Public Space!’ is also a global campaign launched at the Habitat III conference, during a networking event that Luisa organized and coordinated – http://www.standupforpublicspace.org – and an international research project promoted by City Space Architecture in partnership with the Queensland University of Technology (QUT Ethics Approval Number 1600000966), The Chinese University of Hong Kong, the University of Auckland and LASE+CityUrb Ecuador, that Luisa coordinates as Principal Researcher. Luisa is part of the United Nations Global Urban Observatory, Expert Group on public space. Over the past ten years, Luisa attended as a speaker international conferences and seminars, she organized and curated exhibitions and conferences in Italy and abroad, working in collaboration with international and multi-disciplinary teams. She extensively published contributions and essays in peer-reviewed journals and books, she served as reviewer for international conferences, journals, and doctoral dissertations, advisor and supervisor for Master thesis. Luisa presented her research work in several leading academic conferences, such as (most relevant): the Architectural Heritage Society of Scotland (UK), the International Planning History Society (IPHS), the International Forum on Urbanism (IFoU), the International Seminar on Urban Form (ISUF), the European symposium on Research in Architecture and Urban Design (EURAU), the Italian Institute of Urbanism (INU) Annual Congress, the Biennial of Public Space (BiSP) in Rome, the Academy of Fine Arts in Bologna, the Italian Society of Urbanists (SIU), the American Association of Geographers (AAG) Annual Meeting, the Italian Association of Urban History (AISU). Luisa is the recipient of the 2018 Australia Award Endeavour Executive Fellowship for a joint research project of City Space Architecture and the Queensland University of Technology on public space, social entrepreneurship and smart communities, to be developed on March-June 2018 in Australia.
Awards and recognition
- Academic Honours, Prestigious Awards or Prizes
- Reference year
- RECIPIENT OF THE 2018 AUSTRALIA AWARD ENDEAVOUR EXECUTIVE FELLOWSHIP for a joint research project of City Space Architecture and the Queensland University of Technology on public space, social entrepreneurship and smart communities, to be developed on March-June 2018 in Australia
- Editorial Role for an Academic Journal
- Reference year
- FOUNDER and EDITOR IN CHIEF OF THE JOURNAL OF PUBLIC SPACE, the first, academic, interdisciplinary, open access journal (ISSN 2206-9658) entirely dedicated to public space, established by City Space Architecture, a non-profit organization based in Italy, in collaboration with the Queensland University of Technology, in partnership with UN-Habitat, the United Nations Program on Cities and Human Settlements - www.journalpublicspace.org.
- Keynote Speaker/Expert Panel Member/Invited Speaker for a Conference
- Reference year
- KEYNOTE SPEAKER and Member of the Conference Committee for the 10th Conference of the International Forum on Urbanism (IFoU), The Entrepreneurial City, hosted by the School of Architecture of The Chinese University of Hong Kong, December 14-16, Hong Kong.
- Visiting Professorships/Fellowships
- Reference year
- VISITING ASSISTANT PROFESSOR at the School of Architecture and Design in Byblos and Beirut, Lebanon (Undergraduate Programme). Full time faculty, Spring and Fall semester. Courses taught: Theory II, Design Studio VI, Design Studio VIII - Spring semester (in English). Design Studio IX, Urban Planning (two sections) - Fall semester (in English).
- Committee Role/Editor or Chair of an Academic Conference
- Reference year
- CONFERENCE CHAIR, Past Present and Future of Public Space | International Conference on Art, Architecture and Urban Design, Bologna (Italy), June 25-27, promoted by City Space Architecture, under the patronage of the Department of Architecture of the University of Bologna, the Institute of Cultural Heritage of the Emilia-Romagna Region, the Municipality of Bologna, Urban Center Bologna, the Institute of Cultural Heritage of the Emilia-Romagna Region and the National Italian Institute of Urbanism.