- Professor Belinda Bennett
- Professor of Health Law and New Technologies
Faculty of Law,
- Discipline *
- +61 7 3138 7674
- +61 7 3138 1161
- View location details (QUT staff and student access only)
- Identifiers and profiles
Doctor of Juridical Science (SJD) (University of Wisconsin, Madison)
Regulation of new technologies in health care, Law and genomics, Law and robotics, Driverless cars and the law, ACHLR
Belinda Bennett is Professor of Health Law and New Technologies in the Faculty of Law. Prior to joining QUT in 2014 Belinda worked at Sydney Law School for many years, most recently as Professor of Health and Medical Law. At QUT she leads the Technology, Innovation and Health program within the Australian Centre for Health Law Research.
Belinda was the Chair of the NHMRC Embryo Research Licensing Committee during the 2012-15 triennium. She has been a Community Member of the Medical Board of Australia.
Belinda has published extensively on a wide range of health law issues. Her current research interests include:
• automation and the law;
• law and robotics;
• legal aspects of driverless cars;
• regulation of assisted reproductive technologies;
• legal and ethical issues in genomics;
• regulation of health practitioners; and
• global health governance of infectious diseases.
Belinda has been a Visiting Scholar at the Petrie Flom Center for Health Law Policy, Biotechnology and Bioethics at Harvard Law School and a Plumer Visiting Research Fellow at St Anne’s College, Oxford.
Belinda is the Deputy Editor of the Journal of Law and Medicine, and a member of the International Editorial Board for the International Journal of Law in Context, and the Editorial Board for the Journal of Law and the Biosciences. Belinda is a Fellow of the Australian Institute of Company Directors.
- Bennett BJ, McDonald F, Beattie ER, Carney T, Freckelton IR, White BP, Willmott L, (2017) Assistive technologies for people with dementia: ethical considerations, Bulletin of the World Health Organization p749-755
- Bennett BJ, Cohen IG, Davies S, Gostin LO, Hill P, Mankad A, Phelan A, (2018) Future-proofing global health: Governance of priorities, Global Public Health p519-527
- Bennett BJ, Carney T, (2017) Public health emergencies of international concern: Global, regional, and local responses to risk, Medical Law Review p223-239
- Freeman M, Hawkes S, Bennett B, (2014) Law and Global Health [Current Legal Issues, Volume 16], Oxford University Press
For more publications by this staff member, visit QUT ePrints, the University's research repository.
- FOOD AND NUTRITION SECURITY, FREE TRADE AND PACIFIC SMALL ISLAND DEVELOPING STATES (SIDS): A LEGAL ANALYSIS
PhD, Associate Supervisor
Other supervisors: Dr Felicity Deane, Professor Ben White
- Legal Adaptability to Disruptive Technology: A Case Study of Australian Law In Relation to Harm and Automated Vehicles
PhD, Associate Supervisor
Other supervisors: Professor Kieran Tranter
- Legal responses to the data driven challenges presented by connected and automated vehicles (CAVs)
PhD, Mentoring Supervisor
Other supervisors: Associate Professor Mark Burdon