- Adjunct Professor Anne Chang
Faculty of Health,
Centre for Health Outcomes, Systems and Services,
- Adjunct Professor
Faculty of Health,
School - Public Health and Social Work,
Research - Public Health
- IHBI Membership
Institute of Health Biomedical Innovation (IHBI),
IHBI Health Projects,
IHBI Public Health and Social Work - HDHS
- Discipline *
- Public Health and Health Services
- View location details (QUT staff and student access only)
PhD (The University of Melbourne), MBBS (The University of Melbourne)
- Professional memberships
Professor Anne B. Chang is an Honorary Professor at the School of Public Health & Social Work, QUT. She is also a consultant paediatric respiratory physician at the Royal Children’s Hospital in Brisbane and a level 2 (highest level) NHMRC Practitioner Fellow.
Throughout her career, Professor Chang has altered several paradigms related to children’s lung health including describing changing how children with chronic cough are managed and a new entity called protracted bacterial bronchitis and its link with bronchiectasis. She held several prestigious fellowships, including the Australian Academy of Health and Medical Sciences. She has led numerous successful NHMRC projects with grants totalling over 20 million dollars. In total Professor Chang’s NHMRC funding exceeds 45 million dollars.
In 2019, Professor Chang was awarded a Medal of the Order of Australia (AM) for service worthy of particular recognition. Other noteworthy accolades include Congress of International Paediatric Pulmonologist’s Past President’s Award for Research Excellence and Training for Future Generations and the Thoracic Society of Australia and New Zealand Research Medal.
Over her research career, Professor Chang has published over 500 scholarly publications in journals and books.
- AM, 2019
- Vice Chancellor’s Award for Exceptional Team’s Performance in Research, 2019
- Vice Chancellor’s Award for Exceptional Team’s Performance in Research, 2015.
- Congress of International Pediatric Pulmonologists Past President’s Award for Research Excellence and Training of future generations, Belgium 2014.
- CDU Library Open Access Award, Darwin 2014.
- Thoracic Society of Australia and New Zealand Research Medal, 2013.
- Children’s Health Queensland, Strategic Pillar award, 2013.
- Asthma Foundation of Queensland Community Award, 2011.
- Vice Chancellor’s Award for Exceptional Performance in Research, 2010.
- Thoracic Society of Australia and New Zealand Young Ambassador to Japanese Respiratory Society Meeting; 2004.
INTERNATIONAL INVITATIONAL LECTURES (since 2017)
- Third King’s John Price Paediatric Respiratory Conference, London, April 2017. Keynote speaker. “Is protracted bacterial bronchitis a precursor to bronchiectasis” and “An update on bronchiectasis”
- Hong Kong Paediatric Respiratory Update April 2017. Three lectures “How to choose between different inhaled corticosteroids?”, “Does protracted bacterial bronchitis exist? When is prophylactic antibiotic indicated in bronchiectasis
- South Africa Thoracic Conference Aug 2017. Keynote speaker plenary ‘Preventing and maximising outcome of chronic lung disease in vulnerable children’ and 2 other talks ‘PPB: does it exist?’; ‘Use of prophylactic antibiotics in (non CF) bronchiectasis’.
- European Respiratory Society Annual Scientific Conference, Milan, Sept 2017. Is protracted bacterial bronchitis a precursor to bronchiectasis?
- Visiting professorship Jiangxi Children’s Hospital. Improving the management of cough and suppurative lung disease in children. 20th Oct-6th Nov 2017.
- 22nd Asia-Pacific Society of Respirology Annual Congress. Nov 2017. Paediatric bronchiectasis in indigenous populations.
- American Thoracic Society International Conference, San Diego May 2018. Postgraduate series talks on ‘The role of exhaled nitric oxide in managing children with asthma’ and ‘Debate on the relationship between cough and the digestive tract’.
- Thoracic Society of Australia and New Zealand Annual Scientific Meeting 2018. Talks on “Making a difference in Indigenous Health: from bench to bedside” and “Update on Pediatric Bronchiectasis”.
- Switzerland Pediatric Pulmonology Conference May 2018. Offer to speak on Protracted Bacterial Bronchitis not accepted because of time constraints.
- Italian Society of Pediatric Pulmonology, Begarmo, Italy, Nov 2018. Keynote speaker: Protracted Bacterial Bronchitis: from bench to bedside”.
- European Respiratory Society International Congress. Paris 2018. Lancet symposium on: ‘the diagnosis and management of bronchiectasis in children’.
- European Academy of Paediatric Societies 7th congress, Paris, October 2018. Talks on ‘Cough and gastroesophageal reflux’ and ‘Endobronchitis’.
- Congress of International Pediatric Pulmonologists, Tokyo. Sept 2019. Plenary: Diagnosis and Management of bronchiectasis. Symposium talks x 1: Using an evidence-based algorithm for the management of children with cough. Debate x 1: PBB is a precursor of bronnchiectasis
- New Zealand Respiratory Society Meeting, July 2019. X 2 talks. Key note speaker. (a) Protracted Bacterial Bronchitis. (b) The link between PBB and bronchiectasis
- European Respiratory Society International Congress, Madrid 2019. ‘Tracheobronchomalcia in children: pathophysiology and clinical presentation’ and ‘Is it possible to prevent bronchiectasis and its flares?’ and Chaired 2 sessions.
- 11th World Congress of the World Society for Pediatric Infectious Diseases (WSPID). Manila November 2019. Long term complications of pneumonia.
- European Respiratory Society International Annual Scientific Congress, Madrid 2019. Major symposium talk “Is it possible to prevent bronchiectasis and its flares” and Hot topic talk “Tracheobronchomalcia in children: pathophysiology and clinical presentation”. Chaired ‘Paediatric update symposium’.
- Update in Paediatric Respiratory Medicine. Hong Kong. Feb 2020. 4 talks.
- American Thoracic Society Annual Scientific International Meeting. Philadelphia. Bronchoscopy in children with chronic suppurative lung disease (PG session).
- World Bronchiectasis Meeting. Barcelona. Sept 2020.
- European Respiratory Society International Annual Scientific Congress, Vienna 2020.
- Japanese Society of Allergy/World Allergy Organisation joint congress. Sept 2020. Kyto, Japan. Chronic cough in children.
- 6th Annual Scientific Congress of Asian Pediatric Pulmonology Society (APPS) with 23rd Annual Conference of the Taiwan Society of Pediatric Pulmonology and Critical Care Medicine (TPPCC). Taiwan Sept 2020. Plenary talk on Chronic cough and symposium talk on ‘bronchiectasis’
EDITORIAL BOARD of INTERNATIONAL JOURNALS
- Cochrane Airway Group of the Cochrane Collaboration – 2005-present
- Pediatric Pulmonology – 2006-present (Associate Editor)
- Cochrane Acute Respiratory Infections Group of the Cochrane Collaboration: 2006- present
- The Open Respiratory Medicine Journal: 2010-present
- Frontiers in Pediatric Pulmonology – Editor-in-chief: 2015-present
- Annuals of Translational Medicine – board member: 2016-present
- Chest – 2017-current
- Lancet Respiratory Medicine – 2019-current
For publications by this staff member, visit QUT ePrints, the University's research repository.