- Adjunct Professor Ann Bonner
- Adjunct Professor
Faculty of Health,
School - Nursing
- IHBI Membership
Institute of Health Biomedical Innovation (IHBI),
IHBI Health Projects,
IHBI Nursing - CDA
- Discipline *
- +61 7 3138 0823
- View location details (QUT staff and student access only)
- Identifiers and profiles
PhD (University of Western Sydney), Master of Arts (Macquarie University), BAppSc(Nurs) (University of Sydney)
- Professional memberships
- Member – Scientific Committee, Renal Society of Australasia (RSA)
- Co-editor – Renal Society of Australasia Journal
- Member – Renal Society of Australasia (RSA)
- Member – European Dialysis & Transplant Nurses Association (EDTNA)
- Member – Royal College of Nursing Australia (RSA)
- Member – Sigma Theta Tau Interational (STTI)
- Member – Transplant Nurses Association (TNA)
- Associate Member – Australian College of Nurse Practitioners
Chronic Conditions, Chronic Disease, Grounded Theory, Kidney, Renal, Transplantation, Qualitative, Mixed methods
Professor Ann Bonner is the Director of Research (School of Nursing), Chronic Conditions Management program leader (IHBI), and Visiting Research Fellow at the Kidney Health Service, Metro North Hospital and Health Service where she leads the Renal Nursing Professorial Unit. She is also co-leads the NHMRC Chronic Kidney Disease Centre for Research Excellence (CKD.CRE), is a Visiting Renal Nursing Scholar (Department of Renal Medicine, Princess Alexandra Hospital) and Visiting Nurse Scholar (Logan Hospital). She has published over 130 peer-reviewed journal articles and sits on numerous editorial and review panels. Her program of research is focused on renal health care and models of care that better support people to self-manage their kidney failure.
- Chronic and end stage kidney disease
- Self-management, health literacy, supportive care
- Health service innovation, nurse practitioner
- (2017-2018) A novel bundled intervention (4Ds) to improve adherence with phosphate control in people receiving haemodialysis for end stage kidney disease. Royal Brisbane and Women’s Hospital Research Postgraduate Scholarship
- (2016-2017) Postdoctoral research fellowships. Queensland Health, Nursing and Midwifery Office of Queensland.
- (2016) Evaluating the implementation of a Kidney Supportive Care Program into a Hospital and Health Service. Australian Centre for Health Service (AusHSI) Implementation Grant.
- (2016) Integrated Chronic Disease Nurse Practitioner Model of Care. Queensland Health.
- (2014-2019) Chronic Kidney Disease Centre of Research Excellence. National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC).
- (2014-2015) Integrated Chronic Disease Nurse Practitioner Model of Care. Queensland Health, Chief Nursing and Midwifery Office.
- (2014) The impact on hospital utilisation and costs of proactive planning for conservative treatment without dialysis in selected patients with advanced kidney disease. Australian Centre for Health Service (AusHSI) Innovation stimulus grant.
- (2014) CKD health literacy. QUT School of Nursing grant.
- (2013-2018) Centre of Research Excellence End of Life Care. National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC).
- (2013-2014) Adaptation of the fluid watcher’s program for people with chronic kidney disease receiving haemodialysis. Royal Brisbane and Women’s Hospital research project grant.
- (2013-2014) Motivational interviewing for people with end stage kidney disease undergoing dialysis at home to improve treatment adherence: A randomised controlled trial. Royal Brisbane and Women’s Hospital Foundation nursing and allied health research grant.
- (2013) Establishment of the Renal Nursing Professorial Unit. QUT School of Nursing grant.
- NSN508 Thesis Preparation
- NSN515 Leadership and Management in Nursing
Previous Postgraduate Teaching
- NSN007 Advanced Chronic Nursing Practice
- NSN008 Specialisation in Chronic Care Nursing
- Master of Health Science Portfolio (onshore & offshore)
- Health Master’s Dissertation (onshore & offshore)
- Health Master’s Project (onshore & offshore)
- Nursing as a Discipline (onshore & offshore)
- Research Proposal (onshore & offshore)
- Qualitative Data Management in Nursing
- Advanced Medical Nursing
- Clinical Teaching in Nursing
- Advanced Physiological Nursing
Previous Undergraduate Teaching
- Acute care/high dependency nursing
- Medical/Surgical Nursing
- Nursing research
- Law & Ethics
For publications by this staff member, visit QUT ePrints, the University's research repository.
Grants and projects (Category 1: Australian Competitive Grants only)
- Centre for Research Excellence in End of Life Care
- Primary fund type
- CAT 1 - Australian Competitive Grant
- Project ID
- Start year
- Palliative Care; Supportive Care; Health Services Research; Terminal Care; Access to Health Care; Chronic Diseases; Legal Issues; Consumers; Capacity Building; Policy Development