- Associate Professor Andrew West
- Associate Professor
Faculty of Business & Law,
School of Accountancy
- Discipline *
- Accounting, Auditing and Accountability
- +61 7 3138 5291
- View location details (QUT staff and student access only)
- Identifiers and profiles
PhD (University of Pretoria)
- Professional memberships
Chartered Accountants Australia and New Zealand; Australasian Business Ethics Network
Andrew joined QUT as a Senior Lecturer in March 2015. He has over 16 years’ experience in teaching and research at different institutions in Australia and South Africa, as well as significant industry experience in the financial services industry in Johannesburg and London, and as an external auditor with KPMG. He qualified as a Chartered Accountant in South Africa in 1997 and has been a member of Chartered Accountants Australia and New Zealand since 2009.
Andrew completed a PhD in Philosophy in 2012 and conducts research in the areas of business and professional ethics. He has a particular interest in the application of Aristotelian Virtue Ethics in business and accounting, including in accounting education. He has published in leading journals including the Journal of Business Ethics, Corporate Governance: An International Review and Accounting, Auditing and Accountability Journal. In 2017 Andrew was deputy chair of the Australasian Business Ethics Network (ABEN) and Chair of ABEN from 2018-2019. He is the editor of the Business Ethics Learning and Education section of the Journal of Business Ethics.
Andrew recently developed and teaches a unit on Ethics and Professional Relationships for postgraduate students in Accounting and Financial Planning. He is also the Chair of the Teaching & Learning Committee for the School of Accountancy.
- West A, (2018) After virtue and accounting ethics, Journal of Business Ethics p21-36
- West A, (2016) Applying metaethical and normative claims of moral relativism to (shareholder and stakeholder) models of corporate governance, Journal of Business Ethics p199-215
- West A, (2014) Ubuntu and business ethics: Problems, perspectives and prospects, Journal of Business Ethics p47-61
- West A, (2009) Corporate governance convergence and moral relativism, Corporate Governance: An International Review p107-119
- West A, (2009) The ethics of corporate governance: A (South) African perspective, International Journal of Law and Management p10-16
- West A, (2008) Sartrean existentialism and ethical decision-making in business, Journal of Business Ethics p15-25
- West A, (2006) A commentary on the global position of South African accounting research, Meditari: accountancy research p121-137
- West A, Saunders S, (2006) A humanistic approach to South African Accounting education, Justice Quarterly p718-732
- West A, (2006) Theorising South Africa's corporate governance, Journal of Business Ethics p433-448
For more publications by this staff member, visit QUT ePrints, the University's research repository.