- Mr Andy Keir
- Manager, Research Engineering Facility
Office of the PVC, Research Infrastructure
- Discipline *
- Artificial Intelligence and Image Processing, Electrical and Electronic Engineering
- +61 7 3138 4311
- +61 7 3138 4438
- View location details (QUT staff and student access only)
- Identifiers and profiles
Master of Business Administration (Queensland University of Technology), PGDip(Sc) (University of Queensland), BSc (University of Queensland)
As Manager of the Research Engineering Facility, Andrew is responsible for research service delivery and facilities utilisation, establishing systems and processes to support the efficient and effective delivery of service requests. He provides operational, technical and strategic advice on opportunities to maximise the value of the facilities for research, research training and services for both internal and external markets, and acts in a business development role to both internal and external markets.
Andrew brings to this role extensive experience in the management of research support services, through his time as Operations Manager for the Australian Research Centre for Aerospace Automation. This is complemented by his experience as a Knowledge to Innovation Broker within QUT’s Institute for Future Environments.
Andrew is also a Steering Committee Member for the international robotics competition, the UAV Challenge, a global event focused upon the demonstration of Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAVs) for civilian applications, particularly in those applications that will save the lives of people in the future. We do this by harnessing the ingenuity and passion of aero modellers, university students and high-school students around the world to develop novel and cost-effective solutions.
- AAUS Industry Champion Leadership Winner 2020 – UAV Challenge
- Fellow, Centre for Emergency and Disaster Management (2015)
- GMAA Award for Leadership and Strategy (2014)
- Research infrastructure strategy and operations for cross-organisational delivery;
- Business development, negotiation, and intellectual property management;
- Project management and delivery for industry focused research programs; and
- Regulatory knowledge of the Remotely Piloted Aircraft Systems sector.
- Lees, Michael, Campbell, Duncan A., & Keir, Andrew G. (2008) Machine vision for beer keg asset management. In Billingsley, John & Bradbeer, Robin (Eds.) Mechatronics and machine vision in practice. Springer Berlin / Heidelberg, Berlin, pp. 125-137.
- Keir, Andrew G., Lees, Michael, & Campbell, Duncan A. (2006) Neural Network Based OCR for Keg Identification. In Kovalerchuk, B. (Ed.) Second IASTED International Conference on Computational Intelligence, 20 – 22 November, 2006, San Francisco, California, USA.
- Campbell, Duncan A., Boles, Wageeh W., Murray, Martin H., Iyer, R. Mahalinga, Hargreaves, Douglas J., & Keir, Andrew G. (2007) Balancing Pedagogy and Student Experience in First-Year Engineering Courses. In Proceedings of the 3rd International CDIO Conference, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Massachusetts.
For publications by this staff member, visit QUT ePrints, the University's research repository.