- Emeritus Professor Adrian Herington
- Adjunct Professor
Faculty of Health,
Faculty - Health
- Emeritus Professor
Human Resources Department,
HR Client Services
- Discipline *
- Biochemistry and Cell Biology, Clinical Sciences, Oncology and Carcinogenesis
- +61 417 074 038
- View location details (QUT staff and student access only)
Ph.d (Monash University), B.Sc (Hons) (Monash University)
- Professional memberships
- Medical Advisory Board, Sylvia & Charles Viertel Charitable Foundation
- Endocrine Society (USA)
- Queensland Selection Panel, Australia-America Fulbright Fellowships
- International Growth Hormone/IGF Research Society
- International Proteolysis Society
- Endocrine Society of Australia
- Australasian Society for Biochemistry & Molecular Biology
- Australian Society for Medical Research
Endocrinology, Ephs and Ephrins, Ghrelin, Growth Factors, Growth Hormone, Hormone Receptors, Insulin-like Growth Factors, Prostate Cancer
- The expression, regulation and function of the growth factor ghrelin, its receptor and a novel overexpressed ghrelin antisense gene, in hormone dependent cancer.
- Identification and functional studies of a novel ghrelin antisense gene overexpressed in breast and prostate cancer.
- The expression, regulation and function of the receptor tyrosine kinase EphB4 in hormone dependent cancers of the breast and prostate.
The above projects are the main focus of teams led by Prof Lisa Chopin Dr Sally Stephenson and Professor Herington. Profs Chopin and Herington were the first to identify ghrelin as an autocrine/paracrine growth factor for the hormone-dependent breast and prostate cancers. Ghrelin is a small peptide with multiple other roles including growth hormone release, appetite regulation, energy balance and immune regulation. We have identified several variants of the preproghrelin gene and the ghrelin receptor gene that show potential as biomarkers and/or therapeutic targets for breast and prostate cancer. Current studies are aimed at understanding the mechanisms underlying the tumour-related functions of the ghrelin axis.
EphB4 is a tyrosine kinase-linked receptor for members of the ephrin family of ligands. Together these proteins regulate cancer cell adhesion, motility, angiogenesis and metastasis. As potentially important therapeutic targets, this project aims to explore the expression, function and mechanisms/signalling pathways underlying EphB4-ephrin action
Areas of expertise
- Hormone–Dependent Cancer
- Growth Hormone Receptors / Action
- Insulin–Like Growth Factors
Past & Current grants
- 2004-2006: NHMRC: Regulation and functional roles of ADAM10 in prostate cancer
- 2005-2006: Queensland Cancer Fund: Heterodimerisation of the GHSR and cross–talk with the MAPK (mitogen–activated kinase) signalling pathway in prostate cancer
- 2006-2007: Queensland Cancer Fund: The ghrelin axis and an exon 3 deleted ghrelin variant in breast cancer.
- 2007-2008: Cancer Council Queensland: The opposing roles of a novel preproghrelin isoform and obestatin, a preproghrelin-derived hormone, in prostate cancer
- 2009-2010: Cancer Council Queensland: Novel natural antisense ghrelin mRNA transcripts and their role in breast and prostate cancer
- 2011-2013: NHMRC: The function of the natural antisense ghrelin receptor gene (GHSROS) in cancer
- 2014-2016: NHMRC: The ghrelin axis as a target for prostate cancer therapy
- 2014-2016: ARC Discovery:
Selected research projects
- The expression, regulation and function of the growth factor ghrelin and its receptor in hormone dependent cancer.
- Identification, structural and functional studies of novel ghrelin receptors.
- Expression, localization, regulation and functional consequences of EphB4 receptor tyrosine kinase in prostate and breast cancers.
Teaching discipline: Cell & Molecular Biosciences
- Hormone Receptors and Signalling
- Seim I, Collet C, Herington A, Chopin L, (2007) Revised Genomic Structure of the Human Ghrelin Gene and Identification of Novel Exons, Alternative Splice Variants and Natural Antisense Transcripts, BMC Genomics p1-16
- Gao J, Collard R, Bui L, Bui L, Herington A, Nicol D, Clements J, (2007) Kallikrein 4 is a Potential Mediator of Cellular Interactions between Cancer Cells and Osteoblasts in Metastatic Prostate Cancer, The Prostate p348-360
- Zhou S, Zhou Z, Li C, Chen X, Yu X, Xue C, Herington A, (2007) Identification of Drugs that Interact with Herbs in Drug Development, Drug Discovery Today p664-673
- Herington A, (2004) Growth Hormone Binding Proteins, Encyclopedia of Endocrine Diseases p390-395
- Shafiei F, Herington A, Lobie P, (2006) Mechanisms of Signal Transduction Utilized by Growth Hormone, The Somatotrophic Axis in Brain Function p39-49
- Yeh A, Jeffery P, Duncan R, Herington A, Chopin L, (2005) Ghrelin and a Novel Preproghrelin Isoform are Highly Expressed in Prostate Cancer and Ghrelin Activates Mitogen-Activated Protein Kinase in Prostate Cancer, Clinical Cancer Research p8295-8303
- Jeffery P, Yeh A, McNamara J, Duncan R, Francis G, Herington A, Chopin L, (2005) Expression and Function of the Ghrelin Axis, Including a Novel Preproghrelin Isoform, in Human Breast Cancer Tissues and Cell Lines, Endocrine-Related Cancer p839-850
- Veveris-Lowe T, Lawrence M, Lawrence M, Collard R, Bui L, Bui L, Herington A, Nicol D, Clements J, (2005) Kallikrein 4 (hK4) and Prostate-specific Antigen (PSA) are Associated with the loss of E-cadherin and an Epithelial-mesenchymal Transition (EMT)-like Effect in Prostate Cancer Cells, Endocrine-Related Cancer p631-643
- Jeffery P, Duncan R, Yeh A, Jaskolski R, Hammond D, Herington A, Chopin L, (2005) Expression of the Ghrelin Axis in the Mouse: An Exon 4-Deleted Mouse Proghrelin Variant Encodes a Novel C Terminal Peptide, Endocrinology p432-440
- Gaytan F, Morales C, Barreiro M, Jeffery P, Chopin L, Herington A, Casanueva F, Aguilar E, Dieguez C, Tena-Sempere M, (2005) Expression of Growth Hormone Secretagogue Receptor Type 1a, the Functional Ghrelin Receptor, in Human Ovarian Surface Epithelium Mullerian Duct Derivates and Ovarian Tumors, Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism p1798-1804
For more publications by this staff member, visit QUT ePrints, the University's research repository.
Completed supervisions (Doctorate)
- A Re-Examination of the Ghrelin and Ghrelin Receptor Genes (2009)
- Localisation of Kallikreins in the Prostate and Association with Prostate Cancer Progression (2006)
- An Investigation into the Role of the Ghrelin Axis in Hormone-Dependent Cancer and Characterisation of a Novel Exon 3-Deleted Preproghrelin Isoform and its Murine Homologue (2005)
- Structural Investigations into the Relationships of the Insulin-like Growth Factors (IGFs) and IGF Binding Proteins (IGFBPs) with Vitronectin (VN) (2005)
- Expression, Regulation and Function of KLK4 in Prostate Cancer (2004)
- The Expression of ADAM-9 and -10 in Prostate Cancer and their Regulation by Dihydrotestosterone, Insulin-Like Growth Factor -1 and Epidermal Growth Factor. (2003)