- Dr Ann Heirdsfield
- Visiting Fellow
Faculty of Education,
School of Early Childhood and Inclusive Education
- Discipline *
- Curriculum and Pedagogy, Education Systems, Specialist Studies in Education
- View location details (QUT staff and student access only)
- Identifiers and profiles
PhD (Queensland University of Technology), MEd (Research) (Queensland University of Technology), BA (University of Queensland), Dip Teach (Kelvin Grove C.A.E)
Early Years Mathematics, Mathematics Education
Ann Heirdsfield is a lecturer in the School of Early Childhood. Ann’s teaching and research interests lie in the area of mathematics education, in particular, at the early childhood level. More recently Ann has worked in early childhood classrooms to enhance young children’s mental computation.
Other research to date has dealt with students’ acquisition of knowledge in a variety of mathematics areas, and supporting beginning teachers in mathematics and science teaching.
Ann has extended her teaching and research focus to investigate higher education students’ experiences, including first year students’ transition into university, peer mentoring, online learning, and transition from student to first year professional.
- Heirdsfield AM, Lamb J, Spry G, (2009) Professional learning: implementing new mathematics content, Proceedings of the Australian Association for Research in Education (AARE) International Education Research Conference 2008: Changing Climates: Education for Sustainable Futures p1-13
- Heirdsfield AM, Warren E, Dole S, (2008) The use of a new mathematics text book scheme- Support or impediment., AARE 2007 International Educational Research Conference Proceedings p1-9
- Heirdsfield AM, Walker S, Walsh KM, (2008) Enhancing the first year experience- Longitudinal perspectives on a peer mentoring scheme, Proceedings of AARE International education Research Conference p1-17
- Heirdsfield AM, Walker S, Walsh KM, Wilss LA, (2008) Peer mentoring for first-year teacher education students: The mentors' experience, Mentoring and Tutoring p109-124
- Heirdsfield AM, Davis JM, Lennox SP, Walker S, (2007) Online Learning Environments: The Challenge for Early Childhood Teacher Education Students, PECERA 2007
- Heirdsfield AM, Walker S, Thomas LM, Ailwood J, Meehan C, (2007) Living with Uncertainty: Transition from University Student to Early Childhood Professional, PECERA Pacific Early Childhood Education Research Association 2007 [Webpage] p1
- Heirdsfield AM, Dole SL, Beswick K, (2007) Instruction to Support Mental Computation Development in Young Children of Diverse Ability, AARE 2006 Conference CD p1-7
- Heirdsfield AM, Lamb J, (2007) Year 2 Inaccurate but Flexible Mental Computers: Teacher Actions Supporting Growth, The Australian Association for Research in Education: Engaging Pedagogies 2006 p1-14
- Heirdsfield AM, Davis JM, Lennox SP, Walker S, Zhang W, (2007) Online Learning Environments: What Early Childhood Teacher Education Students Say, Journal of Early Childhood Teacher Education p115-126
- Heirdsfield AM, Lamb J, (2006) Inaccurate Mental Computation: Identifying Flawed Thinking, Proceedings of the 29th Annual Conference of the Mathematic Education Research Group fo Australasia p600
For more publications by this staff member, visit QUT ePrints, the University's research repository.
Awards and recognition
- Editorial Role for an Academic Journal
- Reference year
- Reviewer for Contemporary Issues in Early Childhood
- Advisor/Consultant for Industry
- Reference year
- Evaluation of mathematics text book scheme.