- Dr Yunfei Xi
- Advance Queensland Fellow
Science and Engineering Faculty,
Earth, Environmental and Biological Sciences,
- Discipline *
- Environmental Science and Management, Inorganic Chemistry, Nanotechnology
- +61 7 3138 1995
- View location details (QUT staff and student access only)
- Identifiers and profiles
PhD (Queensland University of Technology)
- Professional memberships
Committee member/the representative of Australian Clay Minerals Society. Guest Professor, Guangzhou Institute of Geochemistry, Chinese Academy of Sciences.
Minerals, Clay minerals, Clay processing, Environmental remediation
- Doctor of Philosophy, Queensland University of Technology, Australia, 2007
- Master of Engineering, Nankai University, China, 2002
- Bachelor (Honours), Tianjin University, China, 1998.
Dr Xi is a Senior Research Fellow/Advance Queensland Fellow and level 2 accredited HDR supervisor; He also works as a committee member/the representative of Queensland at Australian Clay Minerals Society and supervisor for China Scholarship Council (CSC) funded visiting PhD students/scholars. Since 2003, he has authored and co-authored over 150 international journal papers. These publications have been cited over 3500 times (Scopus), with H-index of 30 (Scopus). His research interests are in modified natural materials including clay minerals, nano catalysts, spectroscopy, environmental contaminants remediation and building materials etc. His achievements have been recognised by:
- Guest Professor at Guangzhou Institute of Geochemistry (GIG), Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS) 2014;
- Advance Queensland Fellow (Senior), Queensland Government, 2017-;
- Session Chair of ‘Clays and Environments’, Organising Committee member of the 3rd Asian Clay Conference, Guangzhou, China, 17-20 November 2016;
- QUT Vice Chancellor’s Research Fellowship (Level C), 2013;
- QUT Vice Chancellor’s ECARD/VCRF Travel Fellowship, 2013;
- Elsevier Top Cited Article Award for 2010-2011 for the article published in J. Colloid Interf. Sci. (2010) 341(1): pp.153-161;
- Elsevier Most Cited Article Award for 2007-2008 for the article published in J. Colloid Interf. Sci. (2007) 305(1): pp.150-158;
- Reviewer for high impact international journals such as: Journal of Environmental Science and Technology, Advanced Functional Materials, Chemical Engineering Journal, Journal of Hazardous Materials, Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, Chemosphere, Desalination, Applied Clay Science, ChemPhysChem, Clay and Clay Minerals, Journal of Thermal Analysis and Calorimetry, Journal of Raman Spectroscopy, Spectrochimica Acta Part A: Moledular and Biomolecular Spectroscopy, Spectroscopy Letters and International Journal of Environmental Science and Technology, etc.;
- Plenary speaker/session chair, the International Workshop on Industrial Minerals, 2nd to 6th November 2011, Hangzhou, China.
- Advanced Queensland Research Fellowships, Value-added building materials using Queensland’s natural mineral resources, 2017-2020;
- Australian Research Council (ARC) Discovery Project (DP15010717), Characterization of mechanical behaviour of TiO2 nanotube thin films, 2015-2018;
- Guangdong Department of Science and Technology – Queensland University of Technology, Preparation and application of porous mineral-based VOCs adsorption-catalytic materials, 2017-2019;
- Advanced Queensland Innovation Partnerships, Biomanufacturing advanced animal feed supplements, 2017-2020;
- QUT VC’s fellowship research grant, 2013-2016;
- Cooperative Research Centre (CRC) for Contamination Assessment and Remediation of the Environment (CARE) (CRC CARE) (6-11-01-09/10), Development and assessment of modified natural clay-materials for the management of hazardous chemicals, 2010;
- Cooperative Research Centre (CRC) for Contamination Assessment and Remediation of the Environment (CARE) (CRC CARE) (2-5-02-05/6), Natural and Modified Materials for Contamination Remediation, 2006-2009.
Undergraduate practical teaching at QUT:
- Environmental Analytical Chemistry: CVB313_15se2 (20 July 2015 – 14 November 2015).
- Analytical Chemistry: CVB202_15se1(23 February 2015 – 23 June 2015).
- Analytical Chemistry: CVB202_14se1 (24 February 2014 – 24 June 2014).
- Nanotechnology and Nanoscience: PQB404_13se2 (22 July 2013 – 16 November 2013).
- Analytical Chemistry for Scientists and Technologists: PQB312_13se2 (22 July 2013 – 16 November 2013).
- Analytical Chemistry for Scientists and Technologists: PQB312_13se1 (25 February 2013 – 25 June 2013).
- Chemical research – PQB642, Thesis: Synthesis and characterisation of organoclays specifically designed for the removal of pollutants from water, Ms. Emily Grundgeider, 14/08/2013 – 03/11/2013;
- Chemical research – PQB642, Thesis: Synthesis and characterisation of nano zero-valent iron supported palygorskite specifically designed for the removal of simazine from water, Ms. Yachna Soni, 14/08/2014 – 03/11/2014;
- Chemical research – PQB642, Thesis: Removal of atrazine from aqueous solution using diatomite-supported nano zero-valent iron, Ms. Choyi Tang, 14/08/2014 – 03/11/2014;
- Industry project – SCB500, Report: Synthesis and characterisation of nano zero-valent iron supported Palygorskite applied with an advanced Fenton process specifically designed for the decolourisation of Orange II from water, Ms. Yachna Soni, 17/03/2015 – 12/06/2015;
- Mr Nathan Makelainen, Mr Edward Nevin, Mr Jack Cossart and Mr Daniel Rogers ‘Capstone’– Chemical research – CVB304, 2015.
- Ma L, Zhu J, Xi Y, Zhu R, He H, Liang X, Ayoko G, (2015) Simultaneous adsorption of Cd(II) and phosphate on Al13 pillared montmorillonite, RSC Advances p77227-77234
- Xi Y, Sun Z, Hreid T, Ayoko G, Frost RL, (2014) Bisphenol A degradation enhanced by air bubbles via advanced oxidation using in situ generated ferrous ions from nano zero-valent iron/palygorskite composite materials, Chemical Engineering Journal p66-74
- Sun Z, Zheng S, Ayoko G, Frost RL, Xi Y, (2013) Degradation of simazine from aqueous solutions by diatomite-supported nanosized zero-valent iron composite materials, Journal of Hazardous Materials p768-777
- Xi Y, Mallavarapu M, Naidu R, (2011) Dispersion of zerovalent iron nanoparticles onto bentonites and use of these catalysts for orange II decolouristation, Applied Clay Science p716-722
- Frost RL, Xi Y, He H, (2010) Synthesis, characterization of palygorskite supported zero-valent iron and its application for methylene blue adsorption, Journal of Colloid and Interface Science p153-161
- Xi Y, Mallavarapu M, Naidu R, (2010) Adsorption of the herbicide 2,4-D on organo-palygorskite, Applied Clay Science p255-261
- Xi Y, Frost RL, He H, (2007) Modification of the Surfaces of Wyoming Montmorillonite by the Cationic Surfactants Alkyl Trimethyl, Dialkyl Dimethyl, And Trialkyl Methyl Ammonium Bromides, Journal of Colloid and Interface Science p150-158
- Xi Y, Zhou Q, Frost RL, He H, (2007) Thermal Stability of Octadecyltrimethylammonium Bromide Modified Montmorillonite Organoclay, Journal of Colloid and Interface Science p347-353
- Xi Y, Frost RL, He H, Kloprogge JT, Bostrom T, (2005) Modification of Wyoming Montmorillonite Surfaces Using a Cationic Surfactant, Langmuir: the ACS journal of surfaces and colloids p8675-8680
- Xi Y, Ding Z, Hongping H, Frost RL, (2004) Structure of Organoclays - An X-ray Diffraction and Thermogravimetric Analysis Study, Journal of Colloid and Interface Science p116-120
For more publications by this staff member, visit QUT ePrints, the University's research repository.
Grants and projects (Category 1: Australian Competitive Grants only)
- Characterization of Mechanical Behaviour of TiO2 Nanotube Thin Films
- Primary fund type
- CAT 1 - Australian Competitive Grant
- Project ID
- Start year
- nanotube thin film; mechanical characterization; nanoindentation
- Synthesis of a Nano-Structured Titania Surface and it's Application in Photocatalytic Oxidation for Water Treatment
- Primary fund type
- CAT 1 - Australian Competitive Grant
- Project ID
- Start year
- Water Purification; Nanostructured Materials; Organic Degradation; Heterogeneous Photocatalysis; Inorganic Template; Titania Photocatalyst