- Dr Ann Webber
- Senior Lecturer
Faculty of Health,
School - Optometry and Vision Science
- IHBI Membership
Institute of Health Biomedical Innovation (IHBI),
IHBI Health Projects,
IHBI Optometry - CDA
- Discipline *
- Optometry and Ophthalmology
- +61 412 443 204
- View location details (QUT staff and student access only)
- Identifiers and profiles
PhD (Queensland University of Technology)
- Professional memberships
- Optometry Australia (Qld/NT Past President and Past Board member)
- American Academy of Optometry (AAO) (Fellow of Academy, Diplomate Binocular Vision/Pediatric Optometry Section; Editorial Board Member, Optometry and Vision Science (Journal AAO))
- Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology (ARVO)
- Cornea and Contact Lens Society of Australia (CCLSA)
Amblyopia, Binocular vision, Accommodation, Strabismus, Paediatric optometry, Refractive error
- 2015 Diplomate American Academy of Optometry (Binocular vision, Perception and Pediatric Optometry section)
- 2014 Recipient of Hamlyn R. Brier Clinical Optometrist Award, Optometry Australia (Optometry Queensland& NT division)
- 2010 Fellow of the American Academy of Optometry
- 2010 Finalist Clinical Researcher Award, Australian Society for Medical Research, Qld Health & Medical Research Awards
- 2007 Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology (ARVO) Travel grant recipient
- 2003 – 2007 PhD Scholarship QUT
- 2001 Outstanding Contribution QUT Career Mentor Scheme
- 1987 Sigma Xi Research award, University of Houston
- 1986-1988 Post Graduate Student Fellowship, University of Houston
Professional Appointments and Associations
- 2015 – Present Practitioner Member Optometry Board of Australia (AHPRA)
- 2010 – Present Registrations and Notifications Committee, Optometry Board of Australia,(AHPRA)
- 2015 – 2017 Queensland Children’s Eye Health Strategy Committee, Children’s Health Queensland
- 2016 – Present Editorial Board Member, Optometry and Vision Science (Journal of American Academy of Optometry)
- 2001 – 2010 Optometrists Registration Board of Queensland (2009-2010 Deputy Chair)
- 2000 – Present Queensland Government Appointment to Optometrists Panel of Assessors
- 2001 – 2015 Appointments to OCANZ Assessment Teams for Examination and Accreditation in Optometry
- 1999 – 2002 Chair Education subcommittee, Optometrists Association of Australia, Qld/NT
- 1997 – 1999 State President, Optometrists Association of Australia, Queensland Division
- 1993 – 2001 Councillor, Optometrists Association of Australia, Queensland Division
- 1999 QUT School of Optometry, Alumni Organisation Committee
- 1995 – 1999 Professional Advisory Committee, School of Optometry, QUT
- 1995 – 1999 Faculty Advisory Committee, Faulty of Health, QUT
- 1983 – 1984 Student Representative, Health Faculty Academic Board, QIT
Peer Reviewed Publications
- Webber AL, Wood JM, Thompson B. (2016) “Fine Motor Skills of Children With Amblyopia Improve Following Binocular Treatment.” Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. Sep 1;57(11):4713-20.
- Webber AL. (2016) “Vision Recovery Despite Retinal Ganglion Cell Loss in Leber’s Hereditary Optic Neuropathy.” Optom Vis Sci 93:1571-7.
- Wills J, Gillett R, Eastwell E, Abraham R, Coffey K, Webber A, Wood J. (2012) “Effect of simulated astigmatic refractive error on reading performance in the young.” Optom Vis Sci. 2012 Mar;89(3):271-6
- Webber AL (2011) “Paediatric hyperopia, accommodative esotropia and refractive amblyopia” Clin Exp Optom; 94(1):108-11.
- Webber AL, Wood JM, Gole GA, Brown B. (2010) “The DEM Test, Reading Eye Movement Patterns and Reading Scores in Children.” Optom Vis Sci ; 88(2):295-302
- Webber AL, Wood JM, Gole GA, Brown B. (2009) “The effect of amblyopia on the Developmental Eye Movement test in children.” Optom Vis Sci ;.86:760-766
- Webber AL, Wood JM, Gole GA, Brown B. (2008) “The effect of amblyopia on self-esteem in children.” Optom Vis Sci ;85(11):1074-1081.
- Webber AL, Wood JM, Gole GA, Brown B. (2008) “The effect of amblyopia on fine motor skills in children.” Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci ;49(2):594-603.
- Webber AL (2007). Amblyopia treatment: an evidence-based approach to maximising treatment outcome. Clin Exp Optom 90(4): 250-257.
- Webber AL and Wood JM (2005). Amblyopia: prevalence, natural history, functional effects and treatment. Clin Exp Optom 88(6): 365-375.
- Webber A, Prior C, Vigrys AJ (1992) Peripapillary staphyloma. Clin Exp Optom; 75: 220-230
- Webber AL The Functional Disability of Amblyopia. submitted for Special Issue on paediatric optometry, Clin Exp Optom – 2018
- Webber AL, Camugilia J A pragmatic approach to diagnosis of amblyopia. submitted for Special Issue on paediatric optometry, Clin Exp Optom – 2018
- Webber AL (2012) Why amblyopia should be avoided, at least in developed countries. Points de Vue 66
- Webber AL and Cotter SA (2016) Atropine for Amblyopia – the case for pharmacologic penalization of the sound eye. Pharma Supplement (September) Optometry Australia
- Wrigley E and Webber AL (2017) 0.01% Atropine for Myopia Control Pharma Supplement.Optometry Australia
Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology (ARVO)
- Webber AL, Wood JM, Gole GA, Brown B (2007) “The Effect of Amblyopia on Motor and Psychosocial Skills in Children.” Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 48: E-Abstract 4888.
- Webber AL, Manny RE, Levi DM, Klein SA (1988) “Estimating Ricco’s area from edge and line detection thresholds”. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 29 S140
American Academy of Optometry (AAO)
- Webber AL, Ann Webber, Alex Black, Silvie Hoang, Eloise English, Joanne Wood (2016) “Amblyopia Affects Visual Attention, Visual Search and Scanning in Children”
- Webber AL, Wood JM, (2010) “Do fine motor skills deficits of in amblyopic children have implications for educational performance”
- Founder and CEO, Clarity Optometrists (established 1991).
- Commercial acumen, corporate leadership, community engagement
- Advanced clinical and patient communication skills
- Highly developed financial and business acumen essential for continued growth of multi-practitioner independent practice in changing commercial environment
- Well established skills in management of performance of others and resource management
- Senior Lecturer, School of Optometry and Vision Science
- Teaching – didactic component of OPB557 Binocular vision, specialist lectures in OPN161 Optometry in Special Needs Groups (Peadiatric Optometry), supervise student research project group OPN164 – Research Methods in Optometry and Vision Science, Supervising clinician OPN362 Specialist Clinic Paediatric and Binocular Vision
- Developed and implemented changes to content delivery to improve student engagement and relevance to real world clinical practice
- Research – trials that seek improved treatment regimes for childhood vision anomalies
- International collaboration: Thompson, Hess, Birch, Cotter
- National collaboration: Downie, Keller
- Inter-professional collaboration: Gole, Sinclair, Coman
- Collaboration within QUT SOVS: Wood, Black, Schmid
- Consultant Optometrist, Department Ophthalmology, Lady Cilento Children’s Hospital
- Development of collaborative care program between LCCH Ophthalmology and community based optometrists (Paediatric Optometry Alignment Program)
- Establishment of Optometry clinic within outpatient’s department
- Founding member, Child Health Queensland, Children’s Eye Health Strategy committee.
- AHPRA National Board member, Optometry Board of Australia
- Registration and Notification Committee
- Governance Board member training
- Highly developed understanding of the National Registration and Accreditation Scheme
- OCANZ Assessment team member
- Highly developed understanding of optometry program accreditation requirements and development of key competency skills in optometry graduates and the evidence required from University program providers to meet accreditation requirements.
- Optometry Association Board member and Chair (State President)
- Highly knowledgeable of the challenges facing the profession
- Well developed working relationships with optometry profession leaders
- American Academy of Optometry
- Fellow of Academy, Diplomate Binocular Vision/Pediatric Optometry Section
- Editorial Board Member, Optometry and Vision Science (Journal AAO)
- Extensive experience reviewing manuscripts submitted for publication
For publications by this staff member, visit QUT ePrints, the University's research repository.