- Dr Tanja Tyvimaa
Science and Engineering Faculty,
Civil Engineering and Built Environment,
Property and Planning
- +61 7 3138 2731
- +61 7 3138 1170
- View location details (QUT staff and student access only)
- Identifiers and profiles
PhD (Tampere University of Technology, Finland), Master of Science in Engineering (Tampere University of Technology, Finland)
- Professional memberships
Dr Tanja Tyvimaa joined QUT’s School of Civil Engineering and Built Environment as a lecturer in Property Economics 2015. Prior to joining QUT, Dr Tyvimaa was Post-Doctoral Researcher at Tampere University of Technology, Finland. She has been a Visiting Post-Doctoral Scholar at the University of Georgia, USA (2012-2015), and a Visiting Research Scholar at Georgia State University, USA (2009-2010). Dr Tyvimaa has over nine years’ experience in academic research and teaching in property economics and development.
Before her PhD studies, Dr Tyvimaa worked as a Project Manager in the residential building and real estate development projects having a total responsibility of managing design processes, project programming, floor planning coordination and budgeting. She has almost eight years’ experience working in the property and urban development.
The areas of her research interest are apartment prices and property values, residents’ preferences and supply/demand in property market, and demographic/population related issues. Dr Tyvimaa is interested in residential and mixed-use urban properties, within a special expertise of seniors housing (retirement communities).During her years in academia, Dr Tyvimaa has been successful getting research grants and funding from several academic funding organizations.
Dr Tyvimaa serves as secretary in the International Real Estate Society (IRES). Dr Tyvimaa holds following qualifications:
- Doctor of Science (PhD in technology), Tampere University of Technology, Finland, 2011
- Master of Science (construction economics and management), Tampere University of Technology, Finland, 2005
- Bachelor of Science (construction engineering, structural design), Tampere University of Applied Science, Finland, 2000
- Bachelor of Architecture, Vaasa Polytechnic, Finland, 1997
- USB300 Property Development
- USB141 Building Big
- USB342 Property Software
Tampere University of Technology 2007-2014: Postgraduate level unit
- International Real Estate
Graduate level unit
- Housing Business Management
- Construction Production Management
Undergraduate level unit
- Basics of Construction Management and Economics
- Construction Management and Developing
Before her PhD studies, Dr Tyvimaa worked as a Project Manager in the residential building and real estate development projects having a total responsibility of managing design processes, project programming, floor planning coordination and budgeting. She has almost eight years’ experience working in the housing development.
- Kurvinen A, Tyvimaa TP, (2016) The impact of senior house developments on surrounding residential property values, Property Management p415-433
- Gibler KM, Tyvimaa T, (2015) Middle-aged and elderly Finnish households considering moving, their preferences, and potential downsizing amidst changing life course and housing career, Journal of Housing for the Elderly p373-395
- Tyvimaa T, Gibler KM, Zahirovic-Herbert V, (2015) The effect of ground leases on house prices in Helsinki, Journal of Housing and the Built Environment p451-470
- Tyvimaa T, (2014) Awareness and attitudes toward age-restricted communities in Finland, Seniors Housing and Care Journal p59-73
- Gibler KM, Tyvimaa T, (2014) The potential for consumer segmentation in the Finnish housing market, Journal of Consumer Affairs p351-379
- Gibler KM, Tyvimaa T, Kananen J, (2014) The relationship between the determinants of rental housing satisfaction and considering moving in Finland, Property Management p104-124
- Tyvimaa T, Gibler KM, (2012) Pull factors attracting residents to Finnish senior houses, International Real Estate Review p165-188
- Tyvimaa T, Kemp CL, (2011) Finnish seniors' move to a senior house: Examining the push and pull factors, Journal of Housing for the Elderly p50-71
- Tyvimaa T, (2011) Social and physical environments in senior communities: the Finnish experience, International Journal of Housing Markets and Analysis p197-209
- Tyvimaa T, Gibler KM, (2010) Senior house operations in Finland, Seniors Housing and Care Journal p77-90
For more publications by this staff member, visit QUT ePrints, the University's research repository.