- Dr Glen Thomas
- Senior Lecturer
Creative Industries Faculty,
School of Media, Entertainment, Creative Arts,
Creative Writing and Literary Studies
- Discipline *
- Cultural Studies
- +61 7 3138 8284
- +61 7 3138 8238
- View location details (QUT staff and student access only)
PhD (University of Queensland), MA (University of Queensland)
- Professional memberships
- member – Australian College of Education
- member – Australian Association of Writing Programs
- member – Australian and New Zealand American Studies Association
- member – Modern Language Association
- member - National Council of Teachers of English.
- member – Editorial Board – Journal of Technical Writing and Communication.
American society & culture, Communication - technical, Communication theory, Mills & Boon, Romance Novels, Romance writing, Writing
Glen Thomas joined the full-time staff of QUT in 1997 as an Associate Lecturer in professional writing.
Thomas was a tutor in The University of Queensland English Department in academic writing, Australian literature and American literature.
Thomas holds Honours, Masters and Doctor of Philosophy degrees from the University of Queensland and, in 1994, was awarded the university’s Walter and Eliza Hall Travelling Scholarship.
- conducted research at Harvard University (Boston, Massachusetts) and Smith College (Northhampton, Massachusetts).
- completed his Masters thesis: the representation of women in post-colonial fiction and, in particular, the question of women and dual colonisation.
- completed his PhD thesis: an extended reading of four contemporary American historical novels.
Thomas is co-author of the Australian Guide to Corporate Communication, and has written several book chapters, journal articles, and numerous conference papers.
Glen Thomas currently teaches and researches in:
- academic writing
- creative non-fiction
- corporate writing
- technical communication
- American literature.
Thomas has provided consultancy services for both private and public sector organisations, including:
- SunSuper Superannuation
- Chubb Security
- Brisbane City Council
- Pine Rivers Shire Council
- Queensland Department of Public Works and Housing
- Santos Engineering
- Bentley’s Chartered Accountants.
- Thomas GJ, (2008) 'And I deliver': An interview with Emma Darcy, Continuum: Journal of Media and Cultural Studies p113-126
- Thomas GJ, (2007) Romance: The Perfect Creative Industry? A Case Study of Harlequin-Mills and Boon Australia, Empowerment versus Oppression: Twenty-First Century View of Popular Romance Novels p20-29
- Thomas GJ, (2007) The Best Australian Romance Novelist: Emma Darcy, Beautiful Things in Popular Culture p64-78
- Thomas GJ, James B, (2006) The Romance Industry: A Study of Reading and Writing Romance, The Reinvention of Everyday Life: Culture in the Twenty-First Century p164-174
- Harrison JM, Graham PW, Hanrick P, Lauchs MA, McKenna B, Myint S, Thomas GJ, (2001) Ethics for Australian Business
- Patti CH, McKenna B, Thomas GJ, Renforth WE, (2000) An External Communication Audit of a Superannuation Company, Handbook Of Communication Audits For Organisations p255-271
- Thomas GJ, (1999) Book Review, AUMLA: Journal of the Australasian Universities Language and Literature Association p141-143
- Thomas GJ, (1999) Book Review, Australian Journal of Communication p123-125
- Thomas GJ, (1997) History, Biography and Narrative in Don DeLillo's 'Libra', Twentieth Century Literature p107-124
- McKenna B, Thomas GJ, (1997) A Survey of Recent Technical Writing Textbooks, Journal of Technical Writing and Communication p441-452
For more publications by this staff member, visit QUT ePrints, the University's research repository.
Completed supervisions (Doctorate)
Completed supervisions (Masters by Research)
- The rebels shout back : subaltern theory and the writing of 'A Christmas Game' (2008)
- Planting Strategies for Toxic Sites Expressed as Environmental Art (2002)